Question :

Can skin antibiotics affect pregnancy which is planned for future?

I am 25 years old, I have been suffering from acne since a very young age and have been treated continuously by the dermatologists. I am married now and observe that the acne has reduced but I still get a few every now and then. I have reduced my medicines but I do take anti-biotics when required. Before marriage doctore prescribed me Isotretinoin (Acutane) for 3 months which showed good results. However, after marriage I take azifast 500 at times and apply gels like Dyacne or Faceclin when I get pimples. We plan to have a baby after a year hence could you please tell me if these long history of anti biotics will harm my pregnancy in future? I read in some websites that skin anti biotics can harm pregnancy. When do you suggest me to stop them completely? Please note that my periods are very regular and I do not have any health issues apart from acne.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Many of the antibiotics and treatment for acne are not safe during pregnancy. The use of accutane during pregnancy may lead to congenital defects in the baby. Long term usage of antibiotics prior to pregnancy will not harm your pregnancy in the future. You must be off Accutane for at least a month before planning for conception. It usually takes 10-14 days for the drug to be cleared from the system but for precautionary measures 1 month is required. You should only use azifast (azithromycin) in pregnancy if it is deemed necessary by your doctor.

Questions related to Acne

Flat red dot on cheek

I have a flat red small bump on my cheek i noticed later last night. It is not itchy but flat. It is noticeable. I...

Cutting birth control pills in half

Is it ok to take half of a birth control pill if you are ONLY using it for balancing hormones/hormonal acne? I'm 37 y...

Facial reoccuring postule/zit

I have a handful of ?postules? (Basically zits that I can feel under the skin on my face, they just look like bumps a...

Pimples or rash?

What are these bumps? I woke up this morning and they were all over my cheeks

Pimples on face

How to get rid of pimples on face?

Bump filled with blood

Yesterday I noticed this bump on my inner thigh closer where I shave and this bump is about the size of a marble, wh...

Over 30 Hormonal Acne Chin/Jawline/Neck

I am 31 and have been having ugly breakouts around my neck, chin and now jawline for the past 2.5 years. They appear ...

Hereditary, allergy-enhanced acne and plenty of...

Hi there! I'm not looking for a 'fast' method of anything, I know it's a process, but... I've had severe acne since...

retin a gel strength?

My son was prescribed retin a .025% gel for acne. He has used for about 8 months & his acne has improved but not ...

Red patch on cheek

What is this hot, red patch on my cheek?

Red Spot

Ok so Im not sure what to list this under but it has to do with my face so i thought the category acne might be a ok ...

How to get rid of spots on my face.

When i am due to start my period each month my face flares up with large spots on my face. They are painful due to ha...

Pimple in armpit with pus

Dear Dr, I am having a pimple with pus (yellow reddish) in my armpit, 2 days back it was just a bump, I applied cica...

scars and red colour face

Last day i rubbed my face too hard with scrub,after i washing i felt like there is some minor cuts.When i looked my f...

Subclinical Acne in teenager

I have subclinical acne and I'm in my teenage years. It is located on my forehead and I was wondering if it in a way ...

Weird bump on my leg looks like pimple

I have found a wierd bump on my leg, which looked like a pimple, but when i popped it no sign of pus came out. any id...

Fordyce spots

Hi, I am 100% sure I have fordyce spots, absolutely no doubt in my mind, on the penis, lips and testicles. Words cann...

Small red bump on testicle with blood that come...

I have a small red bump on my testicle that seems to be filled with blood because if I squeeze it, it will become ski...

Spots torso and facial area

hello my name is lee im 20 years old and for probably about 6 years now iv had this problem, i thought it may be some...

Is there a relationship between acne and mastur...

I am pretty sure that there is a correlation between masturbation and acne. Whenever I don't masturbate for at least ...

Tetracycline Side effects

I have been on doxycycline for a year, minocycline for 6 months and trimethiprim for 6 months. One of the side effect...

Acne after doxycycline

Hi there, Thank you for providing this service. My question is about a strange outbreak of acne that occurred about...

Bumps under skin near eye

I have a couple bumps on my face near my eyes. Two small ones on the inside bridge of my nose, one under my eye and o...

Pores, blemishes and scars

26year male, post acne scars and pores, blemishes on face. Respected Sir/Ma'm, i apply adapalene to control the acne...

Acne Problem due to obsessive smelling of hands

I smell my hands and that leads to acne I only have acne around my nose where I smell my hands and I and wondering ho...

Post Your Thoughts