Can dog bite cause meningitis?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I wanted to know if it's possible to contract viral meningitis from a dog bite? I was bit by a dog on Nov 11 2010. Within 7-10 days I was hospitalized with viral meningitis. Never thought for a minute they were related until someone told me you can contract it from an animal bite.

Dear Patient:  Yes it is possible to contract infections from a dog or any animal bite because they carry several micro organisms as a part of the normal flora of their mouth, which are capable of producing mild to severe infections in humans. Treatment of the dog bite wound should be sought immediately to prevent the spread of infection since the infection frequently gets inoculated into the deeper tissues from the bite.

Yes it is possible to contract infections from a dog or any animal bite because they carry several micro organisms as a part of the normal flora in their mouth, these floar are capable of producing mild to severe infections in humans. Treatment of the dog bite wound  should be sought immediately to prevent the spread of infection because the infection frequently gets inoculated into the deeper tissues from the bite.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: