Question :

Throat Irritation and Mucus: What is causing it?

A couple months ago, my throat started to get irritated on and off. My doctor thought it was acid reflux and had me taking prilosec, which didn't help at all and it got really bad at one point so my doctor sent me to an ear, nose and throat specialist. He did a scope and just saw that my throat was extremely red and there was mucus, but the culture was fine. He gave me a high dose of augmentin and nasonex. I took the augmentin 3 times a day for 10 days and i was doing fine. Then 4 or 5 days after finishing it, my throat started to feel irritated and mucusy again. I'm not sure if this has something to do with allergies or if it's something else. I've never had allergies before. What can i do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It may be due to reflux disease ie acid regurgitating into your throat causing sunsequent inflammation or it may be due to a upper respiratory tract infection which is causing something like a post nasal drip ie mucous and fluid from your nose draining into yoru throat. I would advice you to try hot salt water garles, clear and blow your nose often if you have a cold  and also get a upper gi endoscopy done to find and and rule out the exact cause. All the best.

Questions related to Allergies

Migraines and Sensitivity to light

Why do I get headaches/migraines when exposed to light? When it hits my eyes my head starts to hurt and I get very ir...

Popping noise during inspiration

Dear AskTheDoctor, I have been experiencing a popping noise/feeling during inspiration. Although I don't get it ev...

Multiple bites/welts over grandmother's body (~...

My grandmother (~75 yrs) suddenly has a lot of red bites/welts all over her body: arms, neck, back, stomach, etc. Wha...

Developed new allergy to perfume that didn't ex...

Is it possible to develop allergic reactions later on in life? I have never had an allergy to anything in my life yet...

Full Body Itchy Rash- Nothing Seems to Helps

Hi. I have an extremely itchy rash that has spread to all of my back, chest, stomach, arms, neck and eyelids. I have ...

relief from extremely itchy fingers & palm

Grabbed a grass root and hand felt like very small needles embedded in hand, and fingers & palm became extremely ...

skin allergy and respiratory problems

My daugter is 4 years old, since she was 6 months she is suffering from Allergic respiratory probems and also skin al...

allergic to apples

hi, I'm allergic to apples and anything that has to do with it, even the smell causes rash on my skin or itchy wrist...

Allergic Reaction, or Infection?

what do u think it is? should i see a doctor?

Pins and needles

Hello, I'm a 14 yr old African American boy who for the past week has been experiencing pins and needles sensation on...

Swollen lip

I had lip augemtation (my own body fat) two weeks ago didn't have any complications until last sunday when i used eff...

Allergy from wound?

I have a cut on my left leg. I previously cut the same leg 6 months ago and it had a really ugly rash around it. I ...

Nasal allergy for years

i have been suffering from nasal allergy for 2 years.. feel itching n irritation in nose,eyes,throat..also having pre...

Help! Huge welt on hand.

Can someone tell me whether this is just a bug bite or an allergic reaction on my moms hand?

Bee sting

This is about my boyfriend who does not have ins. He was stung on the ear last night at work, now he has a golf ball ...

Hay fever around ponds.

I have never had problems with hay fever before. But I've started to notice every time I'm staying (living) near a p...

Yellow jacket stings

Someone in my family got stung by approximately 15 yellow jackets. They went to the hospital , but now they are havin...

Kissing with allergies

How serious can nut and salmon allergies be? If I have these foods and then brush my teeth, is it possible for me to ...

I'm suffering Please Help

I got an itchy body skin allergy and it's on a worst level and fungi on my testicles i've been using treatment for ne...

jenia

My daughter 12 yes old received her last gardasell booster yesterday. She through up 2times last night her body aches...

Allergic rhinitis

Hi,I'm a 30 year old female,I've been congested for about 2 months now,my ENT said I have allergic rhinitis,I've neve...

lichen pranus

what should i do having my tongue burn

stomach bloating and shortness of breath

can ciprofloxacin cause stomach bloating when ingested orally?

nasal alergy

heloo sir i am having nasal alergy when i came to dubai and especially in closed room and in AC ,here the temperature...

Itchiness all over my body

I recently was stung and developed hives, red skin, and itchiness all over my body. I had a similar reaction but far ...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: my granddaughter has excessive throat mucous,can you help