Question :

Recovering from infectious mononucleosis - how long will it take?

How long does it take to fully recover from mono? I was diagnosed three months ago with mono. While recovering I also had a respiratory infection and a sinus infection. I still tire easily and it seems if I do too much physical activity the next day I feel sick.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Infectious mononucleosis is characterized by a triad of fever, tonsillar pharyngitis, and lymphadenopathy. The infection is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and is spread through saliva. The vast majority of individuals with primary EBV infection recover uneventfully and develop long term immunity to the virus. Most acute symptoms resolve in one to two weeks, although fatigue and poor functional status can persist for months. The reason why some patients do not return to prior health is unclear and unfortunately not much can be done. I would advise that you take a health diet and refrain from strenuous physical activity until fully recovered.

Questions related to Mono

If you have already had mono can you get it aga...

My mother is 78 and spent a week out of town and in the same home with someone that had mono. If she has already h...

painful tonsils

The past 3 days my right tonsil has been very painfull. Its not really swollen and no white spots but hurts most when...

Mono or lymphoma?

On dec 2 my doc ran a ebv titer and confirmed I had a active case of mono. My only symptoms were fatigue and swollen ...

Can mono be passed through other ways besides s...

My 40 year old brother (who live with me) has severe cellulitis. My 19 year old daughter was just diagnosed with mon...

Ambien In Infectious Mononuceosis

Can I take Ambien if I am trying to recover from mononucleosis

Can I get vaccinations while I'm sick with mono?

I'm studying abroad in Africa this summer, but I currently have mono. Can I get the vaccinations that I need to go t...

Traveling following exposure to mono.

My 17 year old daughter has just came down with mono and her boyfriend from out of town was here for a visit the day...

Lumps on neck with pain??

My husband and I live in Haiti right now working as missionaries. He started having sharp pains in the side of his ...

Why am I having unusual fatigue after Mono?

I was diagnosed with mono about a month ago when I had a mild sore throat and noticed a white coating on my tonsils....

Can I get Mono again if I had it before?

I had mono last year, really severely, I was out of school for about a month, and then on and off from being too tir...

Infectious period for Mononucleosis

I had mono about 3 months ago, when can i makeout with my boyfriend again?

Can the spleen stay enlarged for years after ha...

Can the spleen stay enlarged from mono forever? I had mono years ago and couple times a month my spleen has sharp a...

EBV: Management and Important Precautions

I am a 30 year old female and besides mild asthma and a mild heart murmur (very mild and hereditary, not requiring a...

Scheduling elective surgery while infected with...

How do I know it's safe to officially book and undergo back surgery while infected with mono, which began one week a...

Quick Kiss, No Saliva, Never Had I, Can I still...

Can I get mono from a quick kiss on my boyfriends lips even if there was no saliva transfered at all and we each ne...

Mono and possible spleen injury

I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago and was sick for about 3 weeks before that. For roughly the past day a...

Resuming Physical Activity After Mono

My 17 year old son was sick for about a week with mono. His only symptom was extreme fatigue. He is definiely feel...

Possible exposure to Mononucleosis

I may have been exposed to mono via smoking a water pipe this past Saturday night only to find out later that someon...

Type two diabetes and mono

I am a type 2 diabetic and i think i have mono i was just wanting to know if i should see and doctor asap and are t...

Mono and drinking

I am a 26 year old male who got diagnosed with mono 2 and a half months ago. I went to the ER because of severe pai...

I have had mono four times now. Could there be ...

I am currently 16 years old and I have been diagnosed with active mono four times, the first time being when I was a...

Can Mononucleosis Travel through a Chlorinated ...

Can Mononucleosis Travel through a Chlorinated Pool? A friend and I went to a pool party recently, he has mono but n...

When to Resume Activities After Mono

I was diagnosed with mono 4 weeks ago. My doctor concluded that I had mono after blood work and my right lymphnode i...

Do I really have mono

I went to care now and they did a blood test and diagnosed me with mono. I am wondering how accurate this test is......

Pain and fever

I have had fever for 2 days, abdominal discomfort, muscle aches, headache,and extreme fatigue as well as loss of app...

Why do I Have Difficulty Swallowing Food?

I have difficulty swallowing all types of food. My throat feels tight, swollen, constricted, and sore. I have shortn...

Exposure to Mono

I spent this past weekend at home and found out my little sister has mono. My girlfriend has a 3 month old son and ...

Daughter Has Infectious Mononucleosis

If you have had mono do you shead the virus for the rest of your life? If you do do you have to appear sick when you...

When to Resume Cheerleading After Mono

I just found out I have mono. I am 14 years old, and currently in the middle of basketball season at my school, wher...

Getting Mono Twice

I had mono last year and went to the doctor and it was verified through a blood test. My symptoms at that time were...

Post Your Thoughts