Question :

Disc degeneration,bulging ,scoliosis and MS?

My husband has had increased back pain...we have been told he has a very minor disc bulge and disc degeneration along with scoliosis however none are severe enough for his level of pain. He also has severe heartburn, headaches, and random weakness in the legs....resulting in his falling so often that if he is away from home anymore we take a wheelchair to ensure his safety. Excessive vomiting, along with trouble breathing and swallowing ...most often at night. When his pain level is high his body literally trembles and he has little to no feeling n his rt leg and arm. constant pins and needles pain. Could this be MS?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS) and affects multiple systems of the body through the attacks on the nervous system. The disease is characterized initially by episodes of reversible neurologic deficits, which, in most patients, are followed by progressive neurologic deterioration over time. The cause of the disease is not known, but it likely involves a combination of genetic susceptibility and an environmental trigger factors as stress, resulting in a self-sustaining autoimmune disorder that leads to recurrent immune attacks on the CNS. As you can see, the MS is an autoimmune disease, multifactorial. In many studies and by the experience of people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS), stress has been implicated in the onset or exacerbations of the disease. But there are other studies showing that contrary to popular belief, stressful life events do not appear to be linked to the risk of developing MS. Exacerbations are a clinical reflection of increased inflammatory activity in the central nervous system. They occur in an unpredictable fashion, but the consensus is that they are mediated through immunological mechanisms. Psychological stress is an additional factor that has been implicated repeatedly as a determinant of disease activity. There is no single-test for diagnosing Multiple Sclerosis, but a combination of comprehensive Neurologist evaluation, MRI, spinal tap and evoke potential tests may help all together to confirm a diagnosis.

Questions related to Multiple Sclerosis

skin pain/itching/aubagio

I started taking Aubagio (teriflunomide) 14mg tablets in June for my Multiple Sclerosis. Approximately 2 weeks after ...

Please point me in the right direction (what yo...

I have a very complex neurologic illness that has left me in pain, weak, difficulty walking to give you a snapshot. ...

Questions regarding MS/Sarcoidosis

Hello, I just wanted to consult and ask your medical opinion on my case. I am a 19 year old male and have been suffer...

Is Multiple sclerosis (MS) Hereditary?

I am a 27 year old woman and have lately been experiencing tingling in my toes and tiredness my mum has MS does that...

Multiple neurologic symptoms: is it MS?

I have been experiencing and ignoring some symptoms for quite a while but recently they've been flaring up more my s...

Vitamin D and M.S.

I take 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D-3 per day. I have M.S. (20 years) and that is what my neurologist recommends. Is that ...

Disesthesias, diffuse burning pain and bladder ...

I have tingling sensations all over my body, from prickling to pins and needles, to very sharp pains. I have burning...

Leg Pain with Normal X-ray

I have pain in my right leg, I find it difficult to bend my leg to put on socks. I am 64 and have had knee Xrays an...

Can too many tablets over your life lead to a h...

Can taking a large amount of tablets over your life, lead to a heart attack? My Mum had M.S since she was twenty so...

Multiple sclerosis and lumbar puncture procedure

I received confirmation of my diagnosis with MS just last week. The spinal fluid from the tap on Tuesday showed 11 o...

Eye twitching getting worse and diagnosis of MS

About 7 years ago, I awoke one morning with an eye twitch, left side, annoying but not uncommon I know, however it h...

Diabetic with Multiple Sclerosis and a previous...

I think I was misdiagnosed in 1996 with MS. It started in 1993 after swimming, and playing in a lake nearby. I had t...

Random muscle spasms and Multipe Sclerosis

I have type 1 diabetes and my mother has Multiple Slerosis. For the past 4 years I have experienced spats of body co...

Pain in the joints

Hello, my name is Irina. I am suffering from a severe pain in my knees and elbows that mostly comes when i am in pea...

Upper back muscle spasms and complex migraine w...

I am a 26 year old female that has had upper back muscle spasms on and off for the last year and a half. They cause ...

varied eye symptoms: Is this MS?

I keep losing my balance (several times a day)and have problems with my eyes as well. I have had double vision for ...

Multiple Sclerosis and Other Causes of Numbness

Hello! I am a sixteen year old girl, with a family history of multiple sclerosis. Two days ago to yesterday I experi...

MRI suggesting possible Multiple Sclerosis lesions

My son ( 30 years of age) has recently suffered with a loss of power in the use of both hands, with extreme soreness...

Bilateral tingling in both feet: M.S?

I'm curious about multiple sclerosis. I understand that if symptoms present bilaterally, like tingling in both feet,...

Not sure if this is related to possible MS or s...

I have been feeling kinda awkward the last several days and not sure as to why. I am scheduled to have a spinal tap ...

Is this Multiple Sclerosis?

Dear Doc, I have had diplopia on and off for the past 5yrs. In 2010 I developed numb hands. I felt generally ill and...

DEPRESSION DUE TO MS

My husband has ms he doesn't want to take any treatment because he says he doesn't matter and that he is not importa...

Right arm Dysesthesia in a middle age male with MS

I have multiple sclerosis and essential thrombocytosis. i take avonex for the former and hydroxyurea for the latter....

MS results

I have many symptoms of MS., but my spinal tap was neg. so they said i don't have MS. but they also said they didn't...

Possible peripheral neuropathy

I used the symptom checker, but they only let you state one symptom. I have the following, for about two months in d...

Post Your Thoughts