Question :

Is MS related with thyroid problems?

My 30 year-old daughter has been having some serious neurological symptoms, including some loss of motor control in her arms, hands and legs (difficulty opening doors and jars, difficulty walking) some speech issues (searching for words and stuttering) and tingling and numbness in her extremities. She also isextremely fatigued, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. She has a sensation of spiders or ants crawling along her skin, as well as hot flashes and redness, complete with increased sweating. A CT scan showed plaque on her brain, along with a couple of non-specific white abnormalities on her brain. An MRI of her brain was normal, but did show a 1.9 cm nodule on the left side of her thyroid. It also showed some enlarged lymph nodes on her cervical spine. Her thyroid levels are 0.06 and 21.2. An endocrinologist has ordered a thyroid scan that involves drinking a radioactive solution one day, and following up wit X-rays the next. However, a neurologist is leaning towards a diagnosis of MS. The endocrinologist has assured us that th thyroid cannot cause plaque on her brain, but could possibly explain all of her other symptoms. My question is, do you think the thyroid and neurological issues are related, or two incidental illnesses? We're very concerned that the enlarged cervical lymph nodes are indicative of some cancer.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS) and affects multiple systems of the body through attacks on the nervous system. The disease is characterized initially by episodes of reversible neurologic deficits, which, in most patients, are followed by progressive neurologic deterioration over time. The cause of the disease is not known, but it likely involves a combination of genetic susceptibility and an environmental trigger, resulting in a self-sustaining autoimmune disorder that leads to recurrent immune attacks on the CNS. As you can see, the MS is an autoimmune disease, it will be important to determine the nature of the thyroid problem, if it is just a nodule or if the rest of the gland is affected, if that would be the case an immune cause should be rule out. But if it is not the case the MS and thyroid nodules are not related. And respect the cervical lymph nodes, yes it is important to rule out also a malignant process.

Questions related to Multiple Sclerosis

skin pain/itching/aubagio

I started taking Aubagio (teriflunomide) 14mg tablets in June for my Multiple Sclerosis. Approximately 2 weeks after ...

Please point me in the right direction (what yo...

I have a very complex neurologic illness that has left me in pain, weak, difficulty walking to give you a snapshot. ...

Questions regarding MS/Sarcoidosis

Hello, I just wanted to consult and ask your medical opinion on my case. I am a 19 year old male and have been suffer...

Is Multiple sclerosis (MS) Hereditary?

I am a 27 year old woman and have lately been experiencing tingling in my toes and tiredness my mum has MS does that...

Multiple neurologic symptoms: is it MS?

I have been experiencing and ignoring some symptoms for quite a while but recently they've been flaring up more my s...

Vitamin D and M.S.

I take 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D-3 per day. I have M.S. (20 years) and that is what my neurologist recommends. Is that ...

Disc degeneration,bulging ,scoliosis and MS?

My husband has had increased back pain...we have been told he has a very minor disc bulge and disc degeneration alon...

Disesthesias, diffuse burning pain and bladder ...

I have tingling sensations all over my body, from prickling to pins and needles, to very sharp pains. I have burning...

Leg Pain with Normal X-ray

I have pain in my right leg, I find it difficult to bend my leg to put on socks. I am 64 and have had knee Xrays an...

Can too many tablets over your life lead to a h...

Can taking a large amount of tablets over your life, lead to a heart attack? My Mum had M.S since she was twenty so...

Multiple sclerosis and lumbar puncture procedure

I received confirmation of my diagnosis with MS just last week. The spinal fluid from the tap on Tuesday showed 11 o...

Eye twitching getting worse and diagnosis of MS

About 7 years ago, I awoke one morning with an eye twitch, left side, annoying but not uncommon I know, however it h...

Diabetic with Multiple Sclerosis and a previous...

I think I was misdiagnosed in 1996 with MS. It started in 1993 after swimming, and playing in a lake nearby. I had t...

Random muscle spasms and Multipe Sclerosis

I have type 1 diabetes and my mother has Multiple Slerosis. For the past 4 years I have experienced spats of body co...

Pain in the joints

Hello, my name is Irina. I am suffering from a severe pain in my knees and elbows that mostly comes when i am in pea...

Upper back muscle spasms and complex migraine w...

I am a 26 year old female that has had upper back muscle spasms on and off for the last year and a half. They cause ...

varied eye symptoms: Is this MS?

I keep losing my balance (several times a day)and have problems with my eyes as well. I have had double vision for ...

Multiple Sclerosis and Other Causes of Numbness

Hello! I am a sixteen year old girl, with a family history of multiple sclerosis. Two days ago to yesterday I experi...

MRI suggesting possible Multiple Sclerosis lesions

My son ( 30 years of age) has recently suffered with a loss of power in the use of both hands, with extreme soreness...

Bilateral tingling in both feet: M.S?

I'm curious about multiple sclerosis. I understand that if symptoms present bilaterally, like tingling in both feet,...

Not sure if this is related to possible MS or s...

I have been feeling kinda awkward the last several days and not sure as to why. I am scheduled to have a spinal tap ...

Is this Multiple Sclerosis?

Dear Doc, I have had diplopia on and off for the past 5yrs. In 2010 I developed numb hands. I felt generally ill and...

DEPRESSION DUE TO MS

My husband has ms he doesn't want to take any treatment because he says he doesn't matter and that he is not importa...

Right arm Dysesthesia in a middle age male with MS

I have multiple sclerosis and essential thrombocytosis. i take avonex for the former and hydroxyurea for the latter....

MS results

I have many symptoms of MS., but my spinal tap was neg. so they said i don't have MS. but they also said they didn't...

Possible peripheral neuropathy

I used the symptom checker, but they only let you state one symptom. I have the following, for about two months in d...

Multiple sclerosis: diagnostic criteria

Hi! Is it possible to have had MS for a number of years and not show lesions on MRI for the brain or cervical spine ...

New oral medications for MS

Hello I have questions about the new oral medications that will be available for sale soon Cladribrine and Gilenya. ...

Multiple Sclerosis: Diagnosis

I have just been told that a relative of mine, is telling everyone that they are diagnosed, by a GP,as being "border...

Pins and needles

Hi, i have noticed that over the last few weeks i get pins and needles in either my arm, leg, hand or fingers at lea...

IT band Injury

I have multiple sclerosis (diagnosed relapsing/remitting since 1986) and recently started physical therapy for gait ...

Raynaud Type Symptoms Related to MS

My mother (age 64) was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis about 20 years ago. Over the past few winter seasons, she ...

Post Your Thoughts