Question :

Stabbing pain in the buttock for a week

I have had problems with discs in lower back for last ten years but for last week i have had a very bad pain in left buttock when bending to sit and on standing up. the pain doesnt go down my leg, feels like a stabbing twisting pain, havent started any new exercise regime and havent hurt myself or fallen, what could this be . thanks

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
If the pain is localized and does not radiate to the leg and foot, possibly may due to a sciatic nerve local compression at the level of its outlet in the gluteal region by the Piriformis muscle. The piriformis muscle can either irritate or compress the proximal sciatic nerve due to spasm and/or contracture. The Piriformis Syndrome is also referred to as pseudosciatica, wallet sciatica, and hip socket neuropathy. The pain originates in the base of the buttock and may or may not radiate to the hip. The causes are diverse: trauma or blunt injury , prolonged sitting on a hard surface, or just with no apparent cause. Piriformis syndrome remains controversial because, in most cases, the diagnosis is clinical, and no confirmatory tests exist to support the clinical findings. Some reports suggest a 6:1 female-to-male ratio for piriformis syndrome. Approximately 50% of patients with piriformis syndrome have a history of trauma, with either a direct buttock contusion or a hip/lower back torsional injury. The remaining 50% of cases are of spontaneous onset. Diagnostic imaging of the lumbar spine (MRI) is mandatory to rule out associated diskogenic (bulging disk) and/or osteoarthritis. Usually the treatment is aimed to correct the following: tight piriformis muscle, tight hip rotator muscles, hip muscles weakness, and sacroiliac problems. The use of ultrasound previously the physical therapy session may be beneficial, and the proceed with a stretching routine for the piriformis and hip muscles, you should be provided with a home stretching program because the stretches every 2-3 hours (while awake) are critical for the treatment success.

Questions related to Neuropathy

Origin of My Chronic Pain

If the drug Elavil relieves pain in my head, neck, and eyes what are some likely causes of this pain?

Unknown pain in legs

Hi, Over the last week or so I've had some pain in my legs. The pain seems to be moving from leg to leg. Some days I ...

Numbness down there

I am 16. For the past three days the left underside of my penis near the base has been feeling numb. I noticed the fe...

Lost control of my arm then I fainted

I lost control of my right arm, it was shaking and I couldn't move it. The day it happen, I lost control three time b...

Numbness, Spasms, Pins and Needles Sensation in...

A few days ago i started getting pins and needles in my hands and legs which turned in to a prickly heat on the botto...

Sound in ear causes back "tickle"

If I have any sort of up close noise in my right ear like a whisper a nerve or something where my hip meets my back o...

Pulse rate for a women getting raped

hi.i am engineering student.i am doing one project.i have some medical doubts?what will be pulse rate of the women du...

Muscle in arms or thigh trembling

why my muscles arms, or thigh trembles even when i m sitting for like 30sec?

Chronic all over body pain

64yr old last 4 yrs seen many specialist . Each different diagnosis. Polymostits , PMR, FB, ALS &etc. biop for ne...

Vigorous head shaking

hello sir/ madam, i'm 22 yrs old female. lately i have been shaking my head vigorously ( vigorously as in fast but m...

Atypical trigeminal neuralgia

Hello there, I had an extremely painful episode of what was called atypical trigeminal neuralgia back in April of 20...

Tingling/Burning/Scared

Let me start by thanking the doctors on this site for their service. I am forever grateful for people like you. I...

Sensory polyneuropathy and cervical radiculopathy

I am having muscle weakness from more than 6 months recently my neurologist suggest me to go for an emg and ncv 2 un...

Radial palsy (wrist drop) possibly due to broke...

What are early signs of radial palsy recovery? (broken humerus,wrist drop)

Nerve Compression Syndrome - Seeking Treatment

Pain in lower back right side and right buttock and right side of right thigh. Docters said nerve compression syndro...

Left cheek vibrates or tremble.

Helo sir i wana ask that whenever i smile or laugh my left cheek starts vibrating.i am facing this problem for the ...

Possible Ulna nerve transient injury

I woke up on Monday with some pain in my arm and waved it off as abed sore. I went about my day as usual, but at nig...

Lower left back sharp pain after wearing a new ...

I developed a sharp back pain yesterday. It is in my lower back, exactly under my belt line on the left side. It f...

C3-C5 mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy

Im having numbing and pain feelings in both of my three fingers furthest away from my thumbs and arms when i work or...

Pain in left chest and shoulder that worsens wi...

Hello! I am getting a pain coming from my heart across to the top of my shoulder it is a sharp pain that hurts a lot...

Severe episodes of pain the middle toe

My daughter is 24 years old. From time to time she gets a pain in her middle toe that she explains " it feels like s...

Teenager with possible CTS

I am a pain in my right hand since 4 months and i went for phisotherpy but still there is no change in pain the pain...

Numbness and burning sensation on left side of leg

Im 46 years old and on 03-04-2012 Sunday I started getting a burning sensation in a spot just left of my left leg in...

Numbness felt on left side of face

What could be the possible causes of numbness felt at the left side of my face? What are the possible solution to it...

Post surgical pain: Possible neuralgia post shu...

I have a surgical scar on my head from a shunt revision and I've been having sudden stabbing pain shooting through ...

Diagnosed with GBS last year and still having n...

How long does Guilain Barre Syndrome last? I was diagnosed with it in May 2011 and had a bad experience with it whe...

Incidental nerve injury during shoulder surgery

I'm 28 years old and very healthy. 3 weeks ago I had surgery on my left shoulder to repair a torn posterior labrum a...

Sudden paralysis of the arm in an elder

A friend of mine who is 71 spent all night on the toilet leaning across with his arm over i got to him in the mornin...

Numbness in the ring finger when waking up

For the past two weeks, every morning when I wake up, the ring finger and middle finger on my left hand have been re...

Lumbar arthrodesis L4-L5 two years ago: was it...

I had a lumbar fusion in may 2010 and had been having seizure like spasms since. my question is looking at this imag...

Post-traumatic Supra-orbital neuralgia

I have collided brow bone first with a wall 8 days ago. Swollen black eye, headaches, nausea ensued. GP checked my v...

Tingling after hitting the head

A couple of days ago i hit my head whenever i touch the knot on my forhead i feel a tingling feeling stright through...

Neck pain radiated to the arm and elbow with nu...

I had ACDF fusion of the C-5 to C-7 in May of 2009 and now have pain running to right shoulder all the way down to e...

Knee pain, numbness

I noticed a few months ago that, while running or doing other jarring activities, I was experiencing rather severe p...

I have an uncontrolable twitch in my right inde...

I have an uncontrolable twitch in my right index finger, my veins are swollen on top of my hand and I can see my pul...

Stabbing pain in the upper forearm

13 years ago I fell and broke my left wrist. Before I could get treatment, my left thumb tendon sawed over the broke...

Severe Median nerve injury by firearm

I got shot. My median nerve was cut. Now my skin is shinny, smooth, numb, wont sweat and wont wrinkle in water. I go...

Discomfort, numbness and pain from shoulder to ...

Feeling a lot of discomfort, numbness, and sharp pains from my shoulder to my finegertips

Body pains with numbness and fatigue

Numbness on the neck area and burning sensation in the head and face. Foot numbness and shooting pains all over body...

Burning pain in foot and leg

I was simply walking down the stairs. I did not step wrong at all, but an incredible pain came over my left foot whe...

Muscle twitching, sensitive skin, numb legs and...

Hi, I am a 30 year old male with crohn's disease and IGA Nephropathy, I had a bowel resection in 2009 to removed the...

My arm falls asleep and does not feel like my o...

What does it mean when my arm falls asleep and doesnt wake up when i try n move.It n it still doesnt still feel righ...

Knife Through Wrist, Unhappy with Doctors recc...

My fiance managed, over Christmas, to stab himself in the wrist with a jack knife. The blda entered on the inside o...

Loss of sensation in the toes.

Good day, on my left foot the toe next to my big toe is loosing feeling. This started about 2 weeks ago. I would say...

Ulnar neuropathy due to elbow injury

Hello, my name is Fabio and im writing from Italy. i had surgery on a torn ligament in my left elbow july 13, 2011. ...

Possible Guillain-Barre Syndrome after a viral ...

Hello, I recently had a sudden onset where my right leg just below the knee began to have a searing pain that led to...

Sciatica, Meralgia Paresthetica or Lyme?

4 weeks ago my doctor gave me a quick diagnosis of Sciatica (Piriformus Syndrome) due to pain in my hip and groin. I...

Cervical spine stenosis with neck pain and numb...

I was told a few months ago that I have congenitally narrowing spine but here lately my neck hurts and my hands feel...

Upper back pain when I move and cough

I'm having pain in my upper back right side (kind of where the shoulder bone is and it is radiating up my neck and c...

Seeking info and medication for nervous asthenia

Can you offer me more info about nervous asthenia and any medication I can take?

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: This sounds like something I have.. I'm quite fit and do crossfit and lots of running. No trauma, just happened after a light run in the morning.. It's been nearly two weeks, taking anti immflamorties , stretching and using a roller but it's still quite prominent the pain. I'm on my feet all day at work and don't sit. How long will this injury leave me out if action? I've rested for 10 days now