Facial numbness

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I have numbness on the right side of my face including the roof of my mouth half of my tounge and my teeth, the numbness goes from my forehead to my chin also my right eye feels heavy and uncomfortable. my face is not particularly painful but it is causing me great discomfort i have had these symptoms for almost 3 weeks. i have seen a dentist and 2 doctors, the dentist could not find anything wrong. one doctor gave me antibiotics which did nothing the other one said it may be neuralgia and keeps telling me to rest and it will get better on its own. is there anything else this could be and how can i get it to go?

Dear Patient:  I do agree with your doctor. You may be having a neuralgia, most likely the trigeminal nerve. No medications are needed for this because this will resolve in time, usually several weeks. Trigeminal neuropathy is also usually idiopathic, which means there is no identifiable cause. If the patient will experience pain, pain relief is an option but most of the time, rest and watchful waiting is done. I do hope this helps

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for