Question :

Persistent swelling after lip laceration

I fell on my face 3 weeks ago. My two top front teeth went through my lower lip. Got 7 stitches on outside of the lip. The stitches were removed 6 days later. The cut is completely healed, but the entire area is still swollen and getting harder and harder. It feels like there is a 1/2-inch diameter of hard tissue inside the lip. It is also itchy. I saw a dermatologist once, but he only gave me antibiotics. Please advise what seems to be wrong.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Swelling after an injury of that nature may take a week to resolve. If swelling persists, the most likely cause is an infection. Your doctors seemed to have this angle covered as well.  As the tissue heals it may become hardened but this “hardness” resolves with time. Continue the antibiotics as prescribed. If the swelling continues despite the antibiotics or if there is a fever, pus draining from the wound, this could signal the development of an abscess and would require surgical drainage.

Questions related to Oral Health

Fordyce spots or lichen planus?

Hello, I would like to know what are these kind of pimples in my mouth? Do they look like fordyce spots or lichen ...

swollen circumvallet pappillae and blocked left...

Hello. I have swollen circumvallet pappillae and blocked left saliva duct. uncomfortable swollowing.went to ER. got...

baseball hard grounder to face mainly mouth and...

took baseball hard grounder to face mainly mouth and nose. hes 11 yrs old. bleeding stopped that day on occasion spit...

two pains one under my tongue and on my bottom ...

Hi there I been trying to research what wrong with my mouth and couldn't find nothing about it. I have two pains one ...

Biting inside of the cheeks

My four year old son has patches at the back of his mouth on both sides (deep in the cheeks near his back teeth). On ...

MRSA leading to health problems

I have had mrsa twice now and recently I had tooth pain and my face completely swelled up I went to the dentist and d...

Weird small hole in mouth

Weird small hole in mouth (cheek). When I suck on it it leaks some type of fluid that feels just like saliva or water...

Pain after using mouthwash

why do my cheeks hurt and experience a tingling sensation around my jawline after i using crest prohealth mouthwash?

Tingling Pressure in my mouth and tongue

For the past few months I have been feeling tingling pressure sensation in my mouth. I feel the tingling and pressure...

oral sub mucous fibrosis

Hello Sir, Trust you ll be fine. Sir I am so much worried that I cant sleep for two days. My wife had been chewing to...

Double Jaw surgery

5 weeks ago I under went double jaw surgery and 2 weeks I had to have surgery again on my lower jaw cause I fractured...

Symptoms from taking Amoxicillin

My mom has a virus and is taking Amoxicillin to help her virus go away. She says that she has a bitter taste in her m...

Strange inflammation in mouth.

Redness behind back lower molars on gums. Hurts only to the touch. It looks like my gums are bleeding. But they aren'...

Cant open Jaw

I am having some issues with my mouth/jaw. I can not open my jaw all the way or if I can I am in alot of pain and my ...

mouth cancer at age 16 possible?

I am 16, I am really really scared that I might have mouth cancer, I have a lump under my tongue, and on the hard pal...

Strange sensation on tongue

I have had a strange sensation/ taste in my mouth/ tongue. It actually feels like I have inhaled fumes from burning p...

Neoplasias on frenulum

There are two, presumably new, "extensions" on the middle of my frenulum, asymmetrically grown outwards in ...

Salivary Gland Hurts When Eating Food

Salivary glands hurt when eating any foods. After a few seconds the pain goes away.

Canker sores on my tongue

I have a sore on the side of my tongue which I think started off from biting my tongue when eating. Its on the side ...

Small white spots on hard palate

I have three small white spots on my hard palate just behind my incisors. What could they be? P.S. I have a fungal e...

Reached puberty but voice is like a girl

Hi I am 20 years old.I hit my puberty.But still my voice is like agirl.What can I do about this.My friends tese me ...

Bumps on my frenulum

The other day I noticed big red bumps on my frenulum in my mouth and they are very painful and it hurts to move my t...

Lip cut with tissue hanging

I got hit in the face two days ago and my upper inside lip got cut open by a tooth and there is a flap of tissue tha...

Lower lip pimple - chances of cancer?

Hello, My question is related to oral cancer. I was addicted to tobacco and at the age of 24 I got a pimple on my lo...

Glossitis - Pain in tongue, causes and treatment

I am having sharp pain in the sides of my tongue. Mostly when I am sleeping. The pain is so bad that it will wake me...

Post Your Thoughts