Degenerative Disc Disease :treatment options with a previous surgery

Dear Ask The Doctor:  What are the available surgeries for treating degenerative disc disease ? I have already had one back fusion in my lower back. What are my options?

Dear Patient:  Degenerative disc disease produces changes in the vertebrae that along with the bulging discs cause a nerve damage by compression, which is the cause of the pain. The treatment options depend on the age, severity of the pain, neurologic symptoms present and if you have some other associated health issue. The first approach is always conservative as a Physical Therapy program aimed to control pain and inflammation along with anti inflammatory medication, if there is no improvement and with time the pain turns out to be worse and intractable you should get a re evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon to decide if another Surgery might be consider as a treatment option for you.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for