Question :

Degenerative Disc Disease :treatment options with a previous surgery

What are the available surgeries for treating degenerative disc disease ? I have already had one back fusion in my lower back. What are my options?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Degenerative disc disease produces changes in the vertebrae that along with the bulging discs cause a nerve damage by compression, which is the cause of the pain. The treatment options depend on the age, severity of the pain, neurologic symptoms present and if you have some other associated health issue. The first approach is always conservative as a Physical Therapy program aimed to control pain and inflammation along with anti inflammatory medication, if there is no improvement and with time the pain turns out to be worse and intractable you should get a re evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon to decide if another Surgery might be consider as a treatment option for you.

Questions related to Osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis of the neck

I'm 58, diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in 1989, and the MRI was done in June of last year. Can you translate ...

Height of human body

I am a male. 57 years old. My weight is 65 kg and height is 1.62 metres. Will my height decrease if someone who is ...

Pain and stiffness in legs, knees and hand join...

I am a 36 year old male-2 children.Heavy smoker.Eating habits are terrible and I sleep 3-4 hours a night.I have chro...

Osteoarthritis in multiple joints

Is it normal for a person to get osteoarthritis in the hips, knees, shoulder,elbow, hand, ankles, back and neck at a...

Several painful joints in a 43 years old man

My husband just went to the doctor with anklepain, hip, and knee pain! The doctor diagnosed him with BERSITIS. He al...

Can kneeling down for long periods of time lead...

Can osteoarthritis be caused by kneeling down for hours on end working, for over 27years i was a welder and have jus...

Osteoarthritis of the knee joint

Hello Doctor I am 45 year old female recently I have been having paiin my left knee, I can walk without pain but wh...

Osteoarthritis. new bone spur, nerve pain radia...

I'm writing this for my mother because she's not a complainer and would think I'm silly for writing this in. My moth...

Knee Osteoarthritis: Conservative treatment opt...

What other meds. and injections are available for osteoarthritis of the knees in advanced stages? Have already had S...

"marginal osteophytes"

Dear Sir, My Father is suffering from pain below the hips,causing him not to walk (or barely walk with complete body...

Partial Knee Replacement

Hi, I got pain on my knee and my doctor recommends a partial knee surgery. But I did some research online and found ...

Osteoarthritis at Nineteen

I been noticing some symptoms of Osteoarthritis in my fingers, but I'm wondering if itis possible to have Osteoarth...

Correlation between Lumbar and Cervical Arthritis

What is the correlation between lumbar arthritis and cervical arthritis? I have had lower back pain for many years ...

Post Your Thoughts