Question :

Osteoarthritis in multiple joints

Is it normal for a person to get osteoarthritis in the hips, knees, shoulder,elbow, hand, ankles, back and neck at an early age? Where symptoms started at around 36 years of age! I had no major accidents and was not involved in any sports after High school. I had a normal childhood with no major illness. After HS I was in the Army till the end of Desert Storm in 1991. I was a truck driver till my symptoms started to show up in year 2000. My duties as a truck driver involved pushing - pulling, carrying and stacking heavy objects when I was not driving. The Army claims this has no connection to my military service. That would mean this occurred between 1991 and 2000. Which is hard for me to believe. My question is can this be considered normal? (In 2000 a German doctor told me my hip needs to be replaced within the next 5 years....I stretched it to 12 years)

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease that involves the whole joints, affecting not only the bones but ligaments, joint lining and joint cover (capsule) and also involves a progressive loss of cartilage. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common articular disease worldwide, affecting over 20 million individuals in the United States alone. The main symptoms are the aching pain, stiffness or difficulty moving the affected joints, for example: fingers, hips, knees and spine. Besides the drug treatment as Tylenol, which is the first drug recommended for osteoarthritis, there are several ways to help to improve the quality of life as follows: keep the weight under control, regular exercise may help to strengthen muscles and stimulate the cartilage growth, avoid high impact sports, taking antioxidant vitamins as C and E may provide some protection, also vitamin D(400 UI per day) and Calcium (1000-1200 mgs per day), hot soaks and warm paraffin application may relieve the pain, there are also assistive devices that can be used to improve function, alignment, provide support or correct deformities such as splints, braces, walkers, canes and orthopedic footwear. The arthritis foundation offers programs aimed to educate the patient about exercises, nutrition, relaxation and pain management.

Questions related to Osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis of the neck

I'm 58, diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in 1989, and the MRI was done in June of last year. Can you translate ...

Height of human body

I am a male. 57 years old. My weight is 65 kg and height is 1.62 metres. Will my height decrease if someone who is ...

Pain and stiffness in legs, knees and hand join...

I am a 36 year old male-2 children.Heavy smoker.Eating habits are terrible and I sleep 3-4 hours a night.I have chro...

Degenerative Disc Disease :treatment options wi...

What are the available surgeries for treating degenerative disc disease ? I have already had one back fusion in my l...

Several painful joints in a 43 years old man

My husband just went to the doctor with anklepain, hip, and knee pain! The doctor diagnosed him with BERSITIS. He al...

Can kneeling down for long periods of time lead...

Can osteoarthritis be caused by kneeling down for hours on end working, for over 27years i was a welder and have jus...

Osteoarthritis of the knee joint

Hello Doctor I am 45 year old female recently I have been having paiin my left knee, I can walk without pain but wh...

Osteoarthritis. new bone spur, nerve pain radia...

I'm writing this for my mother because she's not a complainer and would think I'm silly for writing this in. My moth...

Knee Osteoarthritis: Conservative treatment opt...

What other meds. and injections are available for osteoarthritis of the knees in advanced stages? Have already had S...

"marginal osteophytes"

Dear Sir, My Father is suffering from pain below the hips,causing him not to walk (or barely walk with complete body...

Partial Knee Replacement

Hi, I got pain on my knee and my doctor recommends a partial knee surgery. But I did some research online and found ...

Osteoarthritis at Nineteen

I been noticing some symptoms of Osteoarthritis in my fingers, but I'm wondering if itis possible to have Osteoarth...

Correlation between Lumbar and Cervical Arthritis

What is the correlation between lumbar arthritis and cervical arthritis? I have had lower back pain for many years ...

Post Your Thoughts