Question :

Decreased breast size and hair loss - PCOS or Weight lifting?

I'm 30 years old and have been on the pill since I was 19. I went in for a follow-up sonogram because the doctor saw a small cyst on an ovary. That was gone, but she said my ovaries looked a little "plump" and asked me questions about acne, my period, etc. I didn't have any of the symptoms that she asked me about, but came home and reviewed information about PCOS (which she said there's a slight chance) and I realized that I had hair loss in the past year, I am sexually active with someone who might take testosterone, and my breasts have decreased in size. It's difficult because I have lost weight and started weight lifting, and am going through a divorce and had a lot of stress. Could you tell me if increased weight lifting increases testosterone that would affect my ovaries, or if it can lead to decreased breast size? Could you also tell me if close physical contact with someone taking testosterone (externally) could somehow affect my levels? I plan on calling my doctor back tomorrow, but there's way too much information on-line to make me worry. Thank you

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Although women produce testosterone, they do not produce as much as men, and that’s why women don’t grow big muscles under weight training stimulation, or at any other time. However weight lifting stimulates your body to increase its rate of metabolism and usage of the stored fats. Thus the fat deposition in your breasts tend to use up and reduce the size of the breasts with heavy exercises. You need to avoid stress because it may be the cause for your increased hair loss, irregular food habits, disturbed sleep and a lot of other adverse effects on health. It is absolutely not possible for the testosterone level of your partner to affect your body levels of testosterone.

Questions related to PCOS

I have a doubt regarding Dydrogesterone tablet

Hello Doctor, I am having PCOD and gone to my gynic for check up.. he gave me below medicines for 3 cycles. 1...

PCOD Problem, Nacfil Forte Does it Works??

I am 23 years old, i am suffering from PCOS since 4-5 years.... i was taking treatment in Ayurvedic.. but there is ...

Taking Yasmin and Reductil- Good or Bad

I've had PCOS for 7 years now. Currently I'm taking Yasmin. I'm also considering taking reductil, to help me shed of...

How to get rid of excessive hair growth

Dear doctor, I am turning 23, but I have problem concerning to my hormones, I can see hair growing on my chest,neck...

Short luteal phase with PCOS

Hi, I am looking for some help. I am currently taken the medicine called Metforn (500g twice a day) for PCOS. I was ...

Weight fluctuations, facial hair and infertility.

Good day, I have often have pain during intercourse with my husband, and I seem to be prone to getting urinary infec...

PCOS and FertilAid with FertilCM, Will I get Pr...

Hi my name is Jaleesa Miller. I'm a victim of PCOS, and I started taking birth control pills in July to help regulat...

I have a hump on my back at the base of my neck

My sister has a hump on her back at the base of her neck for over 5 years. Her face breaks out really bad, she's al...

Can pcos woman ovulate without the metformin?

My doctor started me with a new batch of meds to over come the PCO i have (i want to get pregnant). she changed the ...

PCOS and on Clomid but not getting Pregnant, Ca...

Hi. i am 22 years old. i found out when i was 18 that i have PCOS. i was 85kg at that time. since than i have been t...

I have PCOS. What do I need to do aside from ta...

I am 24 year female having irregular periods from since 8yrs...i got my periods in the age 0f 11 and it was fine til...

Are there other ways to treat PCOS aside from p...

What can I do about my pcos? My doctor gave me some med to help start my monthy cycle but with out them i cant start...

PCOS or Pituitary tumor?

I went to see my doctor several months ago as I had not had a period in almost a year (I still haven't had one now)....

Corelation between Marijuana use and PCOS?

Is there a coralation between marajawanna use and pcos?

High DHEA Low Cortisol High Testosterone

I am a 32 yr old woman who is overweight, but not obese. I work out at least 4 times per week including weight train...

Heavy bleeding with infrequent periods

I am 19 years old and i hardly get my period. I've had it since I was 14, but I can count on two hands how many I ha...

PCOS and Cervical Cancer

Hi, my sister is 38 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS and cervical cancer. She was told she is on stage...

PCOS, hair loss and low androgen levels.

Hi, I am a 24 year old female, in generally good health, who was diagnosed at 17 with PCOS, due to extremely irreg...

PCOS help

Hi I am a 24 year old female who has been diagnosed with PCOS. Although I do not have all of the regular symptoms or...

I might have PCOS, unsure.

Well I have finally read up on my problem and from what I have read I believe that I may have PCOS. I am 21 years ol...

PCOS Diagnosis

I didn't get my period once I stopped my birth control pills. One PCOS specialist gave me an ultrasound and assured...

PCOS diagnosis - continued weight loss for no r...

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS after having no periods for 6 months since stopping the combined pill. My mai...

Pcos

I have pcos and I dont get periods on my own. I have to take prova to get a period. So I was wondering if I can ovul...

Investigation of urinary ketosteroid levels

I had a 24 hour urine test for 17 ketorsteroids in February with elevated levels of pregnantriol, hydroxyandrosteron...

Prolonged period and heavy cramping with PCOS

I have PCOS and have always had extremely long cycles or none at all. Recently however things have flipped and I hav...

Post Your Thoughts