Question :

High DHEA Low Cortisol High Testosterone

I am a 32 yr old woman who is overweight, but not obese. I work out at least 4 times per week including weight training. I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years, but even with the extreme exercise have always had issues with fat around the middle. I have never had any problems with my menstrual cycle or with conceiving children. I did have to take progesterone during pregnancy in order to keep from miscarrying, but I now have two beautiful children. I would appreciate your OPINION on the following results from my saliva test. Cortisol morning was 5.3 with normal range 7 to 10. Cortisol midday was 1.6 with normal range 3 to 6. Cortisol evening was 1.3 with normal range 2 to 4. Cortisol night was 0.7 with normal range of less than 1.5. DHEA morning was 1,080 with normal range of 33 to 496.1. No supplementation. Estradiol was 1.2 with normal range 1.2 to 8.4. Estrone was 1 with normal range 1 to 4.5. Progesterone was 80.1 with normal range 99.1 to 332.6. Testosterone was 68.5 with normal range 7.0 to 50.4. My doctor thought this possibly suggested PCOS or adrenal insufficiency. However, I do not have a lot of the normal PCOS symptoms. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me as I am at a loss of where to go from here.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
  I would tend to agree with the diagnosis of your doctor. You have increased DHEAS and decresead progesterone. In order to confirm or check for PCOS i would advice you to check you FSH and LH levels along with also checking for your blood glucose levels and having an ultrasound of the pelvis to check the ovaries for any cyst. As mentioned it could also be a adrenal gland problem and you could get a ultrasound of the same area along with a coritsol challenge test which would help us identify where the problem lies. I hope this helps. All the best.

Questions related to PCOS

I have a doubt regarding Dydrogesterone tablet

Hello Doctor, I am having PCOD and gone to my gynic for check up.. he gave me below medicines for 3 cycles. 1...

PCOD Problem, Nacfil Forte Does it Works??

I am 23 years old, i am suffering from PCOS since 4-5 years.... i was taking treatment in Ayurvedic.. but there is ...

Taking Yasmin and Reductil- Good or Bad

I've had PCOS for 7 years now. Currently I'm taking Yasmin. I'm also considering taking reductil, to help me shed of...

How to get rid of excessive hair growth

Dear doctor, I am turning 23, but I have problem concerning to my hormones, I can see hair growing on my chest,neck...

Short luteal phase with PCOS

Hi, I am looking for some help. I am currently taken the medicine called Metforn (500g twice a day) for PCOS. I was ...

Weight fluctuations, facial hair and infertility.

Good day, I have often have pain during intercourse with my husband, and I seem to be prone to getting urinary infec...

PCOS and FertilAid with FertilCM, Will I get Pr...

Hi my name is Jaleesa Miller. I'm a victim of PCOS, and I started taking birth control pills in July to help regulat...

I have a hump on my back at the base of my neck

My sister has a hump on her back at the base of her neck for over 5 years. Her face breaks out really bad, she's al...

Can pcos woman ovulate without the metformin?

My doctor started me with a new batch of meds to over come the PCO i have (i want to get pregnant). she changed the ...

PCOS and on Clomid but not getting Pregnant, Ca...

Hi. i am 22 years old. i found out when i was 18 that i have PCOS. i was 85kg at that time. since than i have been t...

I have PCOS. What do I need to do aside from ta...

I am 24 year female having irregular periods from since 8yrs...i got my periods in the age 0f 11 and it was fine til...

Are there other ways to treat PCOS aside from p...

What can I do about my pcos? My doctor gave me some med to help start my monthy cycle but with out them i cant start...

PCOS or Pituitary tumor?

I went to see my doctor several months ago as I had not had a period in almost a year (I still haven't had one now)....

Corelation between Marijuana use and PCOS?

Is there a coralation between marajawanna use and pcos?

Heavy bleeding with infrequent periods

I am 19 years old and i hardly get my period. I've had it since I was 14, but I can count on two hands how many I ha...

Decreased breast size and hair loss - PCOS or W...

I'm 30 years old and have been on the pill since I was 19. I went in for a follow-up sonogram because the doctor saw...

PCOS and Cervical Cancer

Hi, my sister is 38 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS and cervical cancer. She was told she is on stage...

PCOS, hair loss and low androgen levels.

Hi, I am a 24 year old female, in generally good health, who was diagnosed at 17 with PCOS, due to extremely irreg...

PCOS help

Hi I am a 24 year old female who has been diagnosed with PCOS. Although I do not have all of the regular symptoms or...

I might have PCOS, unsure.

Well I have finally read up on my problem and from what I have read I believe that I may have PCOS. I am 21 years ol...

PCOS Diagnosis

I didn't get my period once I stopped my birth control pills. One PCOS specialist gave me an ultrasound and assured...

PCOS diagnosis - continued weight loss for no r...

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS after having no periods for 6 months since stopping the combined pill. My mai...

Pcos

I have pcos and I dont get periods on my own. I have to take prova to get a period. So I was wondering if I can ovul...

Investigation of urinary ketosteroid levels

I had a 24 hour urine test for 17 ketorsteroids in February with elevated levels of pregnantriol, hydroxyandrosteron...

Prolonged period and heavy cramping with PCOS

I have PCOS and have always had extremely long cycles or none at all. Recently however things have flipped and I hav...

Post Your Thoughts