Question :

Lumbar Aortic Calcification

I had an xray for lower back pain and the report mentioned that the aorta was calcified. Is this the aorta of the heart and why is it found on a xray of the lower back?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
An x-ray of the lumbar spine will highlight any structure at the level of the lumbar spine, with a calcium component, including bones, organs or blood vessels. The aorta is the main artery that leaves the heart carrying oxygenated blood to different parts of the body. The aorta leaves the heart and travels upwards in the ascending aorta then travels south following the aortic arch to become the descending aorta. When the aorta passes through the diaphragm it becomes the abdominal aorta, which supplies the stomach and intestines. It is this abdominal aorta that is viewed in a lumbar spine x-ray. Calcium can be deposited in arterial walls due to process of atherosclerosis and is often due to degenerative disease or the aging process. This is not uncommon. Sometimes calcium can be deposited in the arterial walls if there is a swelling or dilatation in the artery known as an aneurysm. If you are concerned, a simple ultrasound scan can measure the diameter of the abdominal aorta, to exclude an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Questions related to Back Pain

Scoliosis curve change after 20 years?

I've had scoliosis since I was 11 (now almost 31). Wore a boston brace in high school, double major curve about 35 to...

I know I need surgery. How do I speed up this p...

This may be too specialized, but you can't say "no comment" with me asking. Ten years ago I underwent succe...

Epidural shots in lower back

Can someone get kidney failure from getting epidural shots in lower back every 3 weeks for 2 years?

Back, leg and knee pain

I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at t...

Something heavy fell on my back

Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the ...

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Recurring lower back muscle spam

Reoccuring back muscle spam. Have visited gp and given medication ( PEEFEN FORTE & NORGESIC tablets), and to ma...

Post Your Thoughts