Question :

Unable to straighten leg.

Hi, im asking you this because I have googled my symptoms online and cant find ANYTHING. So here goes. Basically, when I sit upright, I cant extend my left leg out in front of me straight and when I try, I get really bad pains down the back of my thigh. Also, I can extend my right leg out, but this also causes pains down the back of my left thigh. However when I am led down, I can straighten my legs out no problem. Also, I work in an office and when I sit down for a few hours at a time, when I first stand up, I walk with a slight limp. This has been bothering me for approximately 9 months now and its getting increasingly worse. Its got to the stage where I occasionally get pains when I am walking now. Ive been to my doctors twice now and both times he has said it is a sprain without even examining me, and im sorry but what sprain lasts this long?? Additional info would be that im 21, perfectly healthy (apart from this obviously) and dont do any strenous exercise apart from walking to work every morning (45mins).. Really confused as to what this could be.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern. The symptoms that you have mentioned can be either to a spasmodic musculo-skeletal strain of your back, sciatica or an impinged nerve caused due to a herniated disc. The only way to diagnose these conditions is by a thorough physical examination and x-ray or CT of the lumbar spine. I would suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Questions related to Back Pain

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Recurring lower back muscle spam

Reoccuring back muscle spam. Have visited gp and given medication ( PEEFEN FORTE & NORGESIC tablets), and to ma...

horrible back pain, someone please help .

I have a sharp pain that started in my lower back a week ago and has since moved to my entire back . I am in the wors...

Right side serve pain

I've had horrible back pains, almost a constant cramping, for about 9 months now on my right side around my lower rib...

Sharp Lower Back Pain after bending over

What's causing my pain? I have really sharp pain in my lower back that began after I put my 14 month old son into the...

Sharp pain near right scapula

I have had severe sharp pain in between my spine and my right scapula for over 4 years and was wondering what could b...

Shooting pain down the right side of my back.

What may cause a shooting pain down the right side of my back, starting from below my shoulder blade down to the top ...

Sharp pain in back little left of my spine

Hello there, i recently felt a sharp pain near the middle of my back and a little left of my spine. It happens when i...

Can't Move without being out of breath

So besides the obvious; seeing a doctor what should I do?

Lower back pain while exercising and afterwards.

Last week I slipped over in soccer flat on my back and I have noticed the past few days that I have lower back pain ...

Back pain and having a habit of cracking back

My back has been hurting for about 5 months now. At first it was a sever pain and I took 2 Motrin 400s and used heati...

Can back pain lead to tumor

I had a back pain from past one month, computed a doctor and given prescription for 15days but the pain remains same....

untreated Degenerative disk disase

i have degenerative disk disease have had it since i was in my late 30s have had one surgery and need another but can...

lower back always sore

Why is my lower back always sore?

About 2 years ago, I suffered from a slipped di...

I'm an 18 year old male. About 2 years ago, i suffered from a slipped disk in my lumbar region. (L4 and L5 disks). I ...

Can lower back disc bulges trigger these symptoms?

I experienced sharp pain in my lower back while shoveling snow last month. The pain subsided after a couple days, bu...

Back was hurting on my left side right under my...

Ok so i woke up one morning and my back was hurting on my left side right under my shoulder blade. well now I am havi...

My back is numb from the middle

Dear doctor Hi I am 41 years old and for about 2 years now my back has been numb from the middle to lower and now I'...

Severe back pain coinciding with period?

For the last few days I have been enduring the most excruciating back pain I've ever experienced. Some 6 months ago, ...

Lower back pain

Hello. I'm experiencing swelling on my left side and discomfort in my lower back. I suspect I have a herniated disc ...

sharp back pain

What do I do, its been over 24 hours now. It hurts when I'm just sitting now. Its not my first time I've gotten this ...

Back Pain with Burning Sensation

Why does my upper eighties of my back hurt with a burning painful feeling that causes me to have slight breathing p...

Pics of back and right side

I bent over and my back made two loud pops.i couldnt walk at all for 3 days.the pain is in my lower back and rt side...

Bad fall from a bucking horse

I had a really bad fall from a bucking horse 2 summers ago and my back has never fully recovered. When I went to the...

Constant back pain in a young mother of a 16 mo...

I am currently living with constant pain in my back. I have been to the doctors but being the typical NHS they just ...

Back muscles affected by weightlifting

Before one year and seven month i was envolve in flood relief activity and envolve in weatlifting for more than 3 ho...

Severe Degenerative Disc Disease L4-L5 producin...

I have Degenerative Disc Disease and have had to go to my doctor on many occasions to get the pain under control. No...

Severe pain after strain back muscles

I think I strained the muscles in my lower back last night. It hurts whenever I move and I can barely walk upright. ...

Upper back pain possibly associated to scoliosi...

Im having severe back pain. Its been well over three months ive been having it. But i also have scoliosis, as well b...

MRI showing bulging disc and possible syringoyelia

I had an MRI that showed a bulging disc and possible syringomyelia. I have been on tramadol, cymbalta and naprosyn b...

Mother of three with persistent back pain

I had an accident at 21 yrs with no external injury but severe back ache. It became a dull consistent lower back pai...

Neck pain for one year and now radiating to low...

My mom 45 years old had a pain in neck from last year she was on medication,but now the pain has eradiated to lower ...

Post Your Thoughts