Question :

Mild disc protrusion L4-L5 and L5-S1 with facet hypertrophy

I,ve had back problem n and off since my 3rd child, (7 years) i got my MRI results today stating,. "there is some straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis, aligement is otherwise preserved" " there is desiccation of the lower two lumbar intervertebral disks, at L4-L5, there is mild annular disk protrusion, which, in associationwith mild bilateral facet joint hypertrophy" is causing my pain. "at L5-S1 there is left-sided paracentral focal disk protrusion which is seen to contect the descending left S1nerve root with in the lateral recess" causeing my hip and leg pain "mild bilateral facet joint hypertrophy is also seen at this level" can someone please explain what this means in english and also give me an idea what opsions the sergan might give me when i see him, as GP was good and tried to expailn it to me but once i got home i forgot half what was said. and if at all posiable the pros and cons of the different treatments i might get offered, im 31 if that makes a difference with good health i think: :P thank you all for reading

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 A herniated or protruded disc may produce a root nerve compression at a given level of the spine, in your case: L4-L5 and L5-S1, that causes an inflammation of the nerves and radiated pain to the  legs depending on the level of compression.Some times is not only the bulging disc but also coexist a facet hypertrophy that contributes to narrow the spinal space and compress more the root nerves. If this compression progresses, meaning, gets worse over the time, it can produce irreversible damage of the nerve root, then the discectomy is performed to decompress the nerve root involved so the neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling and pain local and radiated to the legs) improve and also avoid further damage to the nerve. The first treatment for a herniated disk is a short period of rest with pain and anti-inflammatory medications, followed by physical therapy. Most people who follow these treatments will recover and return to their normal activities. A small number of people need to have further treatment, which may include steroid injections or surgery. Changes in your lifestyle are a must, like diet and exercise are crucial to improving back pain by controlling weight .Physical therapy is important for nearly everyone with disk disease. Therapists will tell you how to properly lift, dress, walk, and perform other activities. They will work on strengthening the muscles that help support the spine. You will also learn flexibility of the spine and legs. Steroid injections into the back in the area of the herniated disk may help control pain for several months. Such injections reduce swelling around the disk and relieve many symptoms. Spinal injections are usually done on an outpatient basis. Surgery may be an option for the few patients whose symptoms do not go away despite other treatments and time.

Questions related to Back Pain

Scoliosis curve change after 20 years?

I've had scoliosis since I was 11 (now almost 31). Wore a boston brace in high school, double major curve about 35 to...

I know I need surgery. How do I speed up this p...

This may be too specialized, but you can't say "no comment" with me asking. Ten years ago I underwent succe...

Epidural shots in lower back

Can someone get kidney failure from getting epidural shots in lower back every 3 weeks for 2 years?

Back, leg and knee pain

I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at t...

Something heavy fell on my back

Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the ...

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Recurring lower back muscle spam

Reoccuring back muscle spam. Have visited gp and given medication ( PEEFEN FORTE & NORGESIC tablets), and to ma...

Post Your Thoughts