Question :

Back pain for one year and worried about bloodwork results

I have been stuggling with back pain for about a year. The doctor prescribed me a low dose of gabapentin which has helped somewhat. Bloodwork has been done and I wondered what some causes could be for my results: Low HCT 35.8 Decreased WBC 5.8 Low HCT 35.8 Low MPV 6.6 Low BUN Creatine Ratio 10.0 High B6 58 (the report showed that the elevated B6 is likely related to dietary supplementation)

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand that your main concern is the bloodwork results that showed mild anemia, slightly decreased white blood cells. On the other hand, in a nutshell, high BUN values can indicate kidney disease, congestive heart failure, gastrointestinal bleeding, shock, kidney failure, hypovolemia, a heart attack or a urinary tract obstruction. Low BUN values may occur as a result of liver failure, malnutrition or over-hydration, which is a condition in which too much fluid accumulates in the body. If your creatinine values are higher than normal, it can indicate kidney failure, glomerulonephritis, dehydration, urinary tract obstruction, diabetic nephropathy or reduced blood flow to the kidneys due to congestive heart failure or shock. Low creatinine values may occur as a result of muscular dystrophy or myasthenia gravis. Normal BUN/creatinine ratios fall between 10 to 1 and 20 to 1. An increased ratio can indicate congestive heart failure or dehydration. A decreased ratio can indicate gastrointestinal bleeding, liver disease or malnutrition. If you are worried about these results, I strongly recommend to discuss them with your doctor in order to determine the possible causes for such values.

Questions related to Back Pain

Scoliosis curve change after 20 years?

I've had scoliosis since I was 11 (now almost 31). Wore a boston brace in high school, double major curve about 35 to...

Red & White Blood Low

My brother has low Red & White Blood Cells and he want to know why are they low. His Dr. dose not know why they a...

I know I need surgery. How do I speed up this p...

This may be too specialized, but you can't say "no comment" with me asking. Ten years ago I underwent succe...

Epidural shots in lower back

Can someone get kidney failure from getting epidural shots in lower back every 3 weeks for 2 years?

Back, leg and knee pain

I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at t...

Something heavy fell on my back

Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the ...

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Post Your Thoughts