Question :

Sudden Hip pain radiated to the knee: Trochanteric Bursitis

I am 30years male. One day morning at the time of wake up from bed I feel sharp pain at right side lower hip. The pain is radiates up to knee. The pain is very sharp with burning sensation. It is very constant pain spread down to knee. The clinking sound at knee when I walk.

I have met MD he has taken ultrasound scan, blood test urinal test and ECG and chest x-ray in all report its shows normal but the pain is not cured.

After that I met M.S ortho he taken knee x-ray and given me an injection at knee place and given me glucosamine tablets and pain relief medicines.

After two month the constant pain is cure, but now I have no seating comfort and numbness in right knee when I am walk I feel pin pain at my right hip to back at the time of prolong sitting and wake up at morning and at the time of walking especially at knee front even I am in rest.

Please let me know the cause of sudden pain and give me best suggestion to get back my healthy life.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
According to your description, this case might be a Hip Bursitis (Trochanteric Bursitis) Trochanteric bursitis is characterized by painful inflammation of the bursa located just superficial to the greater trochanter of the femur. Patients typically complain of lateral hip pain, although the hip joint itself is not involved. The pain may radiate down the lateral aspect of the thigh to the knee. More commonly, repetitive (cumulative) trauma is involved. Such trauma is caused by the repetitive contracture of the gluteus medius during running or walking. Conditions that predispose patients to trochanteric bursitis include underlying lower leg gait and back or sacroiliac disturbances. But at times, the bursitis develops spontaneously without apparent precipitating factors; this seems to be your case.The conservative treatment as follows: immobilization and ice during the early phase and moist heat during the long-term phase. Use of anti inflammatory medication NSAIDs (aleve, motrin) can help to ease pain and swelling. If your bursitis is not helped by NSAIDs, your doctor may choose to inject steroids into the surrounding area of inflammation. You should begin graduated range-of-motion exercise once your symptoms begin to improve. As a rule, you should not have more than 3 injections into the same area within a 12-month period. Alternative treatments include pain-killing creams, capsaicin cream (an over-the-counter pain relief cream made from an ingredient of cayenne pepper), and steroid medications if you are able to take them.

Questions related to Back Pain

Scoliosis curve change after 20 years?

I've had scoliosis since I was 11 (now almost 31). Wore a boston brace in high school, double major curve about 35 to...

Red & White Blood Low

My brother has low Red & White Blood Cells and he want to know why are they low. His Dr. dose not know why they a...

I know I need surgery. How do I speed up this p...

This may be too specialized, but you can't say "no comment" with me asking. Ten years ago I underwent succe...

Epidural shots in lower back

Can someone get kidney failure from getting epidural shots in lower back every 3 weeks for 2 years?

Back, leg and knee pain

I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at t...

Something heavy fell on my back

Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the ...

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Post Your Thoughts