Question :

Back pain after heavy work out

Hello, I am a 20 year old male, very healthy, with no medical conditions. About 5 days ago, I was in the gym doing power cleans. Everything seemed to be fine, I felt like I had a very good workout, and went home, nothing unusual at all. But late at night, when I was trying to sleep, my lower back started hurting. I didn't feel anything unusual at the gym, but I was pushing a lot of weight (150 pounds) I went to sleep at about 11, and woke up at 4 a.m. because it was hurting. I would say it has not been that painful, and on the next days it felt a lot like usual DOMS, the muscles repairing themselves. Now it is like a dull jabbing that is in different areads of the lower back. All pain is completely isolated to the lower back. It feels like it is just a pulled muscle, but I have no idea. I have not had any tingling in my legs or arms, however, on the day of I had a very weird experience about an hour after being in the gym which worried me. In the same way that ones leg can "fall asleep" my genitals fell asleep and became numb for about 2 minutes while I was sitting at the computer. I have never had that happen before or since, and am not sure if it was because my pants were too tight, a random coincidence. Everything is normal though, I masturbated about 20 minutes after it happened on the day of to make sure it functioned shortly after, and have absolutely no change in peeing or defecating. Any advice for what I should do is greatly appreciated.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Probably you are experiencing a Mechanical low back pain (LBP) due to the excessive weight pushing during the workout that put overstress on your back muscles. Mechanical low back pain is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. The LBP tends to resolve within some weeks if you follow these conservative measures: a physical therapy program aimed to control the pain and the inflammatory process and teach you flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, these exercises will improve the muscular strength and endurance of your lumbar muscles. Also is very important to keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling, these can increase overall fitness without straining your low back. While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Keep your weight under control. The use of anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “motrin”, “advil”, “aleve”) can be beneficial to manage the pain. Nearly everyone improves within a month following these conservative measures if it is a mechanical back pain. Otherwise, if the back pain persists for more than 2 months, in despite of the above mentioned measures, the evaluation by a physician to rule out other possible causes than just mechanic or postural is recommended.

Questions related to Back Pain

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Recurring lower back muscle spam

Reoccuring back muscle spam. Have visited gp and given medication ( PEEFEN FORTE & NORGESIC tablets), and to ma...

horrible back pain, someone please help .

I have a sharp pain that started in my lower back a week ago and has since moved to my entire back . I am in the wors...

Right side serve pain

I've had horrible back pains, almost a constant cramping, for about 9 months now on my right side around my lower rib...

Sharp Lower Back Pain after bending over

What's causing my pain? I have really sharp pain in my lower back that began after I put my 14 month old son into the...

Sharp pain near right scapula

I have had severe sharp pain in between my spine and my right scapula for over 4 years and was wondering what could b...

Shooting pain down the right side of my back.

What may cause a shooting pain down the right side of my back, starting from below my shoulder blade down to the top ...

Sharp pain in back little left of my spine

Hello there, i recently felt a sharp pain near the middle of my back and a little left of my spine. It happens when i...

Can't Move without being out of breath

So besides the obvious; seeing a doctor what should I do?

Lower back pain while exercising and afterwards.

Last week I slipped over in soccer flat on my back and I have noticed the past few days that I have lower back pain ...

Back pain and having a habit of cracking back

My back has been hurting for about 5 months now. At first it was a sever pain and I took 2 Motrin 400s and used heati...

Can back pain lead to tumor

I had a back pain from past one month, computed a doctor and given prescription for 15days but the pain remains same....

untreated Degenerative disk disase

i have degenerative disk disease have had it since i was in my late 30s have had one surgery and need another but can...

lower back always sore

Why is my lower back always sore?

About 2 years ago, I suffered from a slipped di...

I'm an 18 year old male. About 2 years ago, i suffered from a slipped disk in my lumbar region. (L4 and L5 disks). I ...

Can lower back disc bulges trigger these symptoms?

I experienced sharp pain in my lower back while shoveling snow last month. The pain subsided after a couple days, bu...

Back was hurting on my left side right under my...

Ok so i woke up one morning and my back was hurting on my left side right under my shoulder blade. well now I am havi...

My back is numb from the middle

Dear doctor Hi I am 41 years old and for about 2 years now my back has been numb from the middle to lower and now I'...

Severe back pain coinciding with period?

For the last few days I have been enduring the most excruciating back pain I've ever experienced. Some 6 months ago, ...

Lower back pain

Hello. I'm experiencing swelling on my left side and discomfort in my lower back. I suspect I have a herniated disc ...

sharp back pain

What do I do, its been over 24 hours now. It hurts when I'm just sitting now. Its not my first time I've gotten this ...

Back Pain with Burning Sensation

Why does my upper eighties of my back hurt with a burning painful feeling that causes me to have slight breathing p...

Pics of back and right side

I bent over and my back made two loud pops.i couldnt walk at all for 3 days.the pain is in my lower back and rt side...

Bad fall from a bucking horse

I had a really bad fall from a bucking horse 2 summers ago and my back has never fully recovered. When I went to the...

Constant back pain in a young mother of a 16 mo...

I am currently living with constant pain in my back. I have been to the doctors but being the typical NHS they just ...

Back muscles affected by weightlifting

Before one year and seven month i was envolve in flood relief activity and envolve in weatlifting for more than 3 ho...

Severe Degenerative Disc Disease L4-L5 producin...

I have Degenerative Disc Disease and have had to go to my doctor on many occasions to get the pain under control. No...

Severe pain after strain back muscles

I think I strained the muscles in my lower back last night. It hurts whenever I move and I can barely walk upright. ...

Upper back pain possibly associated to scoliosi...

Im having severe back pain. Its been well over three months ive been having it. But i also have scoliosis, as well b...

MRI showing bulging disc and possible syringoyelia

I had an MRI that showed a bulging disc and possible syringomyelia. I have been on tramadol, cymbalta and naprosyn b...

Mother of three with persistent back pain

I had an accident at 21 yrs with no external injury but severe back ache. It became a dull consistent lower back pai...

Neck pain for one year and now radiating to low...

My mom 45 years old had a pain in neck from last year she was on medication,but now the pain has eradiated to lower ...

Post Your Thoughts