Question :

Left lower back pain: is this due to renal stones?

I have a stapping pain in my left side, around the kidney, and my left iliac crest hurts. this pain is contiuos but with different degrees during the day. it started about three weeks ago, the pain is little bit releaved when I empty my intestines, and when i take muscle reliever, i did an ultrasound and nothing wrong in the abdomen, i did some blood tests, and the only disturbed ones are glucose 309, and ESR 61 1st hour, and 80 2end hour. i did a urine test and there was 4 to 6 white cells, 4 to 6 red cells, 8 to 10 epithelial cells, and ph 5,lately i stareted to suffer from edema in my legs and feet. i'm a diabetic,and i ahve high blood pressure, and i have a stone in the middle of my left kidney , but it's fixed and doen't move at all. can you please tell me what's wrong. and what should I do next, thank you

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
From what you have explained it seems that you may be having a kidney infection or some new stone which has formed leading to  the renal colic and thus leading to the pain. I would advice you to get a ct scan of the Kidney and the pelvis done to get a better idea whether a new stone is present. It could also be muscular pain since it improves on taking a muscle relaxant. Considering your age is would also want to rule out any aortic dissection which occurs when there is blood leaking from the aorta and this would also need a ct scan done . At this point i would get the CT scan done along with a repeat urine test and kidney function tests.All the best.

Questions related to Back Pain

Scoliosis curve change after 20 years?

I've had scoliosis since I was 11 (now almost 31). Wore a boston brace in high school, double major curve about 35 to...

I know I need surgery. How do I speed up this p...

This may be too specialized, but you can't say "no comment" with me asking. Ten years ago I underwent succe...

Epidural shots in lower back

Can someone get kidney failure from getting epidural shots in lower back every 3 weeks for 2 years?

Back, leg and knee pain

I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at t...

Something heavy fell on my back

Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the ...

Pain in middle right side of back

Pain in middle of back. hurt to breath or if its touched when bending to the right side

Chronic mid-lower back pain

Hello! My name is Shay and I am 18 years old. I have just finished up my weekly visits to the Chiropractor for a mont...

Leg difference back pain

Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causi...

Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem....

back / neck pain severe head ache

I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,, with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the t...

Back pain after diving injury

Hello I dove off of a diving board yesterday and landed funny with my legs bending forward and my back really arched....

Stabbing pain in shoulder

I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that...

Lower back pain, limited mobility.

I've had lower back pain for years. I also have pain in both legs that I thought was unrelated after being diagnosed ...

back pain + constipation?

I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I've needed a bowel moveme...

Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacem...

My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is the...

Back pain

Hi, for the past 3/4 days I been noticing back pain. It started from shooting, stabbing pain on my right side , now i...

Lower back pain after foot-landing fall

Is lower back and stomach pains resulting a fall into a 5 foot window well indication of a spinal fracture?

Lower back pain in 12yr old male

What would cause lower back pain in a 12yr old boy?

pain in neck and lower back

Why do i get this pulsating pain in my lower back and the back of my neck. It is very painful but only last for about...

Lower back pain!

I have excruciating lower back pain

Ruptured disk pain after kidney stone

I was recently admitted to the hospital for a first-time kidney stone. I was given dilaudid and torodol via IV. I als...

Massive back pain because of ovaries flipping?

I have had massive pain in my back for 2-3 weeks, worse then I've ever experienced, but mostly in the lower right sid...

Lower Back. Physical Therapist

I went to a physical therapist the summer of 2012 for 2 days a week as prescribed from my doctor. I only had a coupl...

Severe pain from my left flank to my abdomen

I have severe pain on my left side from my abdomen to my back. Twisting, laying on my left side, pushing off a chair...

Recurring lower back muscle spam

Reoccuring back muscle spam. Have visited gp and given medication ( PEEFEN FORTE & NORGESIC tablets), and to ma...

Post Your Thoughts