Question :

Help Get Rid of Thick Mucus Phlem in Pneumonia

I was diagnosed with pneumonia two days ago by an Emegencey Room doctor. I had it a day or two days before being diagnosed. Now the phglem that is in my lungs is so thick that I cannot couph it up and breathing is difficult especially when I am trying to sleep. (prone position) I drink massive amounts of water, I have antibiotics and 2 types of puffer inhalients but nothing is breaking up the phglem. What can I do? I've also tried steam.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is important to get rid of the thick phlegm because it may continue to build making it even more difficult to breathe, and the excess phlegm could act as a pool for an infection. You  may use expectorants - a group of drugs that loosen the thick cough from the lung walls, and mucolytics that help thin out the phlegm for better results. Both of these types of drugs are available either over the counter or by prescription. Another effective method is the use of chest physiotherapy technique like tapping in order to loosen the phlegm along with the use of gravity to help drain the cough. Try using different positions while coughing, such as sitting and leaning forward with your feet firmly flat on the ground.

Questions related to Pneumonia

Pneumonia

what can i do and not do while i have Pneumonia

Trouble taking a deep breath

I am having trouble taking a deep breath. My breathing is fine for the most part of the day, it's just all of sudden....

Residual Pneumonia symptoms or something else?

I was diagnosed with pneumonia and small pleural effusion about a month ago. I was put on an IV and oral antibiotic...

worried papa

My granddaughter is 3yr old and was diagnosed with pneumonia on Tuesday and given 4 shots by her pediatrician, she's ...

vaccination question

I'm a 62 year old male, shou I get a pneumococcal vaccination

Grandad has Pneumonia, halluciations and is NBM

Hello, My Granddad is 83 years old and has been in hospital since 26th November (originally from a knee replacement...

Pneumonia at seven months.

My son Waylon was admitted to the hospital last week and released three days ago after being admitted for pneumonia ...

Pneumonia with high fever and cough

12yr old daughter has pneumonia with fevers of up to 103. She was in the hospital on Wednesday of this week. Sent ...

Frustrated and looking for answers about double...

I have a friend who is in critical condition in an icu, he has been there since last Thuirsday. They say he has dou...

Low grade fever following pneumonitis

My 10 y.o. son was diagnosed pneumonitis on June 6. He still has fever (99.8 or so). Is that normal or I should tak...

My toddler gets repeated episodes of pneumonia

My 11 month old daughter keeps getting pneumonia. I found out my wife, when she was a baby, also had pneumonia. Her ...

What causes pneumonia and how is it spread?

My son is 3 years old and just bin diagnosed with npheumonia hes bin sleeping in a bedroom with damp and mold for si...

Pain in lungs after Pneumonia

I hav been diagnosted with Pnemonia after a CT. Am on my 4th antibiotic. My cough is almost gone but I have pretty...

Baby with Pneumonia Hospitalised Twice and Two ...

My daughter who is 17mths old was hospitalised 3 weeks ago with Pneumonia she had sudden onset of symptoms including...

Need help with upper respiratory problems.

During the past 2 months, I have visited my GP several times with symptoms being shortness of breath, a feeling that...

Cured fron Pneumonia?

I am a 14 year old female that was diagnosed with a slight bit of pneumonia, i took the antibiotics that I w...

Pneumonia

Hi! I had pneumonia in october and it came back 2 weeks ago. After I finished my Z pack, I felt the heaviness in my ...

How can smoke give you Pneumonia

My sister is 3 and she has Pneumonia and her dad and his parents smoke and his mother has bronchitis. They smoke aro...

Community acquired pneumonia bacterial or viral

I was told by my doctor that I have pneumonia, but no tests were taken to determine if it was bacterial or viral, ye...

Severe Chest pain from Pneumonia

I was diagnosed with bacterial Pneumonia after having a bad coughing cold for two weeks. The ER gave me an antibioti...

Community-acquired and hospital-acquired pneumonia

My mother was admitted to St. Jude's last Wednesday with pneumonia. She is 82 and also has COPD and Parkinson's. She...

Bad Case Of Pneumonia and Return of Energy levels

I went to the doctor two weeks ago yesterday with really bad lower back pain. I have two ruptured discs at T-6/T-7, ...

Lingering cough from Pneumonia

I started off with a simple cold that turned into Bronchitis, which due to not be allowed time off from work this tu...

Post Your Thoughts