Question :

Prostate issues, Blood in urine and further management

My Father in law just had a Ct scan for hematuria without pain. He has had a previous TURP at least 10 years ago or more and his PSA is WNL currently. I am a nurse but because this is not my specialty I have some questions. I understand the PSA can still be WNL after a TURP and not be normal. His prostate is boggy upon exam, he has had blood in his urine on and off for over 4 months. He had a prior cyst removed over 4 years ago from his bladder but frm what I understand it was not biopsied. His Ct Scan results show low density in R hepatic lobe consistent with cyst, low density 5mm in left adrenal gland consistent with adrenal adenoma, low denisty L renal lesion consistent with a cyst, high density within inferior prostate consistent with calcification and low density within the central prostate suggesting a TURP defect. Im concerned with all of these cysts as this now totals 4 in various areas of the pelvic cavity. There is still no explanation of the bleeding unless it is blamed on the renal cysts There is no mention of the bladder at all whch concerns me especially considering the prior bladder cyst and the ct scan says bladder included in exam to base. The only mention is that there is no evidence of filling defect in the bladder. He does have hx of kidney stones and there is one non obstructing .7cm on in the left kidney lower pole. I am very concerned about all of these lesions and whether or not they are truly cystic and benign lesions considering ALL of the medical information provided. What would be your next step and what would you be looking for or monitoring going forward? LynAnn RN

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
You have given me quite a comprehensive history which is helpfull in explaining further. There are a lot of findings which you have mentioned which I will try and explain individually. First coming to the symptom that your father in law has ie hematuria ( blood in urine) and this is caued by many conditions like
1) UTI
2) Renal stones: which he has a history of
3) Renal carcinoma/ bladder carcinoma/ polycystic kidneys
4) BPH/ prostatic carcinoma
5) drugs like rifampin, dyes,
After evaluating the condition I feel my next step would be to carry out a transrectal ultrasound of the prostate to evaluate the condition of the prostate ( because you say it is boggy on palpation) and this would also help analyse the area of calcification present and to rule out any areas of nodule formation . Also repeat the PSA level and if it is in normal range then that essentially rules out a prostatic carcinoma.
The cysts in the liver and kidney are benign and liver and renal adenomas are common and are usually considered as incidental finidings on a CT. The cause of the bleeding as of now seems to point more towards that of kidney stones and thus I would advice a Urine analysis for both stones and infection.
In terms of the bladder since he did have a cyst removed and not biopsied it would be advisable to get an cystoscopy performed to rule out any bladder carcinoma which can also lead to hematuria.
I hope this helps.All the best.

Questions related to Prostate Cancer

Tumor removed

My husband had a tumor removed from outside of his prostate. It came back cancer could it be somewhere else or could...

White particles in my urine

hello, im 19 years old, and im having these symptoms for 3 moths now: i have done urinoculture and have found echeria...

Prostate cancer

I've had my prostate removed in 21012. Last year my psa level was 0.045. This year it's 1.05. I don't want to take t...

How to prevent Prostate Cancer

How to prevent prostate cancer?

Enlarged prostate - chances of malignancy.

Hello, I am 21 years old. I get random sharp pains in my prostate. Mostly when im lying down at night. Sometimes i w...

Prostate cancer PSA level increased to 3.4

I recently went for my yearly physical, My base line psa has been 2.7 for many years in the past. I have had an acut...

Feeling of incomplete voiding of urine.

When I Urinate, I do not completely empty. I may have 700 cc remaining.

Prostate cancer in a young male

I have been diagnosed with early stage of Prostate Cancer. Biopsy done and of the 11 samples, one came back with ca...

Blood in urine after surgery

Is it normal to have a lot of blood in urine two weeks after radical retropubic prostatectomy

PSA value returns to normal after 2 months

What does it means if the if the PSA drops such as 4.4 to 3.1 in 2 months?

PSA test results

How does a PSA go from 12.9 down to 0.8 in one year.

Clamp left inside after surgery

I had a radical prostatectomy via the da Vinci robot and about 6 months ago began having discomfort, dysuria and inc...

Prostatic cancer or Benign prostatic hypertophy

I am a 53 year old male who suffers daily from mid and lower back pain along with a very distended stomach. I also h...

IS FLAXSEED AND OMEGA six bad for a person with...

I have prostrate cancer I have been told that Flaxseed and Omega 6 is bad for me. I was always told th opposite and ...

Radiation therapy after prostatectomy?

About 5 months ago i had surgery for prostate cancer, since then my weight gain has been through the roof , which i...

Urology - prostate cancer patient taking cipro ...

My Dad is 81. He has had prostate cancer radiation procedure twice in the past 10 years. The last time was April 2...

Heart Surgery with Metastatic Prostate Cancer

Doctor Does having metastatic prostate cancer hinder 'other' surgeries such as heart bypass surgery? Thanking you, ...

Percentage Recurrence After TURP

Doctors: What percentage of post TURP patients are required to repeat the procedure ? Thank you.

Causes of Increased PSA levels

Is it possible for herbal medicine for a sinus problem to cause an increase in a PSa blood test? Thank you.

Protate Surgery Blood Loss

When the da vinci robotic is used in a enlarged protate surgery is there blood loss and if so, how much?

What could it be?

Hi, every few months when i go to the washroom their is a light color blood in the bowl. when this happends i someti...

Advanced Prostate Cancer

My spouse was recently diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with bone metatasis to the spine.As well as arthritis...

Prostate Cancer Treatment

My father in law had PSA readings of 28 in September 2009 -- diagnosed with prostate cancer and treated with hormon...

Causes of elevated PSA

Dear Ask The Doctor: My boyfriend recently had a PSA # between 5 & 6. 2 yrs ago it was 1.8. We've been together ...

Prostate investigations

I have had an ileostomy for about 15 years and I am wondering how I can get a prostate exam if I have no rectum and ...

Post Your Thoughts