Question :

Petechiae and Slightly Low Platelet Count

Hello: I'm a 42-year-old female of healthy weight and my BP is always low end of normal. I work in a sedentary job but I take a brisk walk twice a day. Five weeks ago I noticed a rash of hundreds of pinpoint-sized dots on parts of my lower legs. They look to me like petechiae. Over the weeks, old clusters of dots have faded while fresh ones keep appearing. The same day the rash appeared I happened to have a CBC as part of a routine physical. My platelet count was a bit below range at 125. Also, my iron was a tiny bit low (67), although I've been on iron supplements since three years ago when it was 29. My doctor doesn't know what's causing the rash but believes it will eventually go away on its own. She does not feel it is related to the platelet count because other tests are normal and she says two other clotting systems would be working even if the platelets are low. I have a number of spider veins on my lower legs and a couple of places where there seems to be permanent small bruising but she does not believe this is related to the rash. I should also mention that my cervical lymph nodes were checked by ultrasound after my doctor thought one felt enlarged during the routine physical. Everything was normal there. My doctor has recommended I get my blood tested every three months until the platelet count returns to normal, and not to worry about the rash. Is this the right course of action? At one point would it be a good idea to see a hematologist? I really like my doctor as a person, but I confess I don't always have faith in her as a diagnostician because she missed my shingles (told me the pain and swelling on my scalp was bug bites from gardening) and my bronchial spasms (told me post-nasal drip wouldn't cause that, although the allergist she referred me to diagnosed that this was the cause). I would never have known about the low platelet count if I hadn't been in to see her about the rash - the receptionist said over the phone that the count was normal. As a result, I tend to have anxiety that important things can be missed, and I dislike feeling this way.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I can understand your concern. The tiny pin-point rash that you've noticed on your legs are petechiae on the skin as a result of bleeding under the skin. Petechiae result when tiny capillaries bleed (hemorrhage), leaking blood into the skin. Petechiae may result from abnormalities in the blood-clotting mechanism or in the cells that help your blood to clot (platelets), resulting in low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia). There could be numerous causes of low platelet count including certain viral infections, medications, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, leukaemia and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. A normal platelet count is 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood. A count of less than 150,000 platelets per microliter is lower than normal. But the risk for serious bleeding doesn't occur until the count becomes very low—less than 10,000 or 20,000 platelets per microliter. Your platelet count of of 125 (I'm presuming 125,000) indicates mild thrombocytopenia.
Mild thrombocytopenia often doesn't require treatment. However if your platelt count is persistently low or decreasing, further workup will be required. I would recommend that you eat plenty of berries and tomatoes, consume food rich in omega-3 fatty acids and take vitamin C tablets. You can also eat vitamin-rich foods such as oranges, kiwi fruit and cabbage. The recommended dosage of vitamin C is 500mg once a day.

Questions related to Rash

Herpangina butt rash

My son (4) was just diagnosed with herpangina. Along with the sores in his mouth, he also has them all over his butt,...

8 week old baby with red bumps on stomach and legs

8 week old baby with red bumps on his chest and legs

My sons finger is swollen and idk why! Help!

My sons middle finger is swollen and hard and red and itchy and I have no idea what happened or if something bit him....

Can u tell me what u think this rash is keeps s...

My boyfriend had a rash on his leg and on back ,,I know have same rash really bad on right leg left leg and arm.....n...

Can an antihistamine CAUSE a rash? Is it a poss...

Can antihistamine's CAUSE a rash as a side effect? I took one last night (Hyroxyzine) to help me sleep and I woke up ...

I have an unexplained rash

I have been breaking out is a red raised rash all over my body on and off since October. It seems to come on all of a...

Rash with blisters on leg

I found a blister on my thigh three days ago, I popped it.... Now in that area I have two small blisters... I have ...

Bumps on upper chest is it cancer

I all of a sudden these red rash bumps on my upper chest I can send picture

weird skin thing?

red, dry skin between my breasts. it is usually a brownish color. can you tell me what it is?

Brown rashes on back which are very itchy

I have brown rashes on my back they are very itchy and are now spreading to my shoulders and stomach. what is this? i...

Rash will not go away- Nothing works!

Hi, I am asking on here as a last resort. I have had this awful rash since I the beginning of January. Assuming it w...

Itchy Rash All Over Body Unexplainable Condition

Itchy Rash All Over Body About 12 days ago I started getting a raised red rash on my stomach and upper leg/thigh a...

So itchy! Please help!

A cluster of small itchy, red bumps (some with a tiny black/brown dot in the center) first appeared on both sides of ...

Several doctors, visits, no solution, miserable

I'm asking this question here out of desperation. I have been to a doctor. I have a skin rash that appears between an...

Rash, small red smooth marks pelvis and penis

Not long after having unprotected sex I begain to devolp a rash that started as a small red mark on my pelvis which s...

Can a dog scratch give me rabies?

Hello good day! My 2 months old puppy scratches my finger with her teeth! It turns slightly red but doesn't have any ...

Circular red rash on back

I have a red ring 1 inch in diameter on my back. Its not raised. Want to know what it is. No symptoms

red bumpy rash on chest beside burn

I have a red bumpy rash on my chest beside a burn mark from the cherry of a cigarette that burned me (I know I need t...

Rash on skin accompanying other symptoms

I have had a rash on my legs, chest, arms and hands/feet for about a week now. My Mum took me to the walk-in-doctors ...

rash after hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy 41/2 weeks ago. Uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes were removed. I have since developed a rash t...

Swollen lips won't go away

I got my tonsils out on the 29 of January and on the 5 of February I noticed my lips starting to swell. I went to the...

Rash between eyebrows and sideburns

Hi, I have a question - over the past month I have developed a slight rash/redness between my eyebrows and the hairli...

Papules around anus

I noticed about a month ago that I had developed this rash around my anus. The spots are completely pain-free and I o...

Red scaly rash

I have a red scaly rash. It started a month ago on my back and this week it's now on my stomach and thigh. It's raise...

raised itchy bumbs on feet in winter

I keep getting these raised itchy bumps. They look somewhat similar to a mosquito bite,but its winters and i have no...

Post Your Thoughts