Question :

Fluconazole and Ketoconazole

I have a resistant ringworm infection and have seen a few different doctors about it. First one prescribed cream...no fix. Second prescribed 2 weeks ketoconazole...no fix. Third prescribed 1 month ketoconazole...no fix... Went back and he prescribed me another month of ketoconazole (all 200mgday). But since I was in the emergency room on an unrelated injury and decided to ask the doctor about fluconazole because I read online that it is less toxic and sometimes better to treat ringworm...So this forth doctor at the emergency room prescribed me a month of fluconazole 50mgday. Now I've read that fluconazole should be prescribed at 150mg to 200mgday. So like what the heck? I'm losing faith in doctors. I understand that ketoconazole can be prescribed for up to 6 months in some cases, and I've succumbed to thinking that's what I'll be doing...but my question is can I take the fluconazole 50mgday WITH the ketoconazole? I mean they both supposedly are broad spectrum antibiotics, but on the sixth week of ketoconazole 200mgday... the infection has only spread from my inner thighs to almost my entire skin area that covers my boxers...ass and hips and belt-line. (strangely the penis and testicles have been unaffected!) HELP PLEASE...this is really starting to affect my mental and physical health, as I haven't been able to swim (big swimmer), or have sex! (yikes)

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
If ringworm of the body covers a large area, is severe or doesn't respond to some anti-fungals, then I would suggest you taking oral anti-fungals.
Fluconazole or Terbinafine might be used. I would agree with your doctor’s Fluconazole dosage of 50mg per day to treat skin fungal infections. However 28 days might not be enough and this could e be extended after an evaluation. On the other hand, remember that even if you are receiving medication, you must keep the compromised area dry and cool, clean and avoid sharing personal items. I would suggest you to continue the treatment t as indicated, and make an appointment for a follow up visit, your doctor might continue with the same antifungal or probably change it to a stronger one such as Terbinafine. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Ringworm

friend has worms in his arms hands neck and all...

I have a friend that has been ill he has worms in his hands and all over been to the hospital they gave him pills but...

ringworm

Does blue star ointment or tea tree oil cure ringworm ?

Ringworm on inner thigh, is this contagious? Ho...

I went to my obgyn a few months back for some odd bumps I had on my inner right thigh. Upon looking at it he informed...

Worms In My Stool

I found thin white cotton like worm in my stool what is it and what do i do

Ring worm? - What is effective in the treatment?

I noticed a small wring about the size of a quarter on the back of my child's neck. She says it doesn't itch and I f...

Ringworm treatment option and pictures of ringworm

I just had a quick question. Where on the site would I be able to find some pictures of ringworm so i am able to get...

Are the parasites passed through the urine afte...

I was diagnosed with Bilharzia yesterday morning. Last night I took the prescribed drug praziquantel. I have read so...

How to get rid of this for good?

My daughter keeps getting ringworms.....they come up on her all over...it may be 3 4 at a time...how can i get rid o...

Harassed by Fungal infection in pants

Hello dear! Please provide some solution. I am a pharmacy masters student. I am harassed by my fungal infection in m...

Ring worm

I have two patches of ring worm, both on my inner elbows. Is it possible that the ringworm can spread to my scalp a...

Child with ringworms

MY LITTLE GIRL HAS NEVER HAD A RINGWORM UNTIL ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND NOW SHE HAS EIGHT. WE RECECNTLY HAS GOTTEN TWO CA...

Ring Worm

I HAD WHAT STARTED AS A MOSQUITO BITE SO I THINK. OF COURSE I SCRACHETED AND IT GOT UGLY AND THE A COULPE A WEEKS WE...

Ringworm exposure

I just found out my cat has ringworm so I know I've been exposed to it. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal if I got...

Post Your Thoughts