Question :

Thick Gooey Saliva - On CPAP machine

I have been waking up everyday now for about two weeks with really thick,gooey saliva (excessive amounts),and my nasal cavity at the back of my throat is blocked. It sometimes feels like it is stuck together. I can not pull air through my nose. I wear a cpap machine at night to sleep,but it does not help because of the fact that my nasal cavity tends to be blocked or stuck together at the back of my throat. What would cause that,and what would cause the excessive amounts of thick,gooey saliva?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern for the symptoms that you are facing. It is most probable that you are breathing with you mouth during sleep. This results in drying of the mucous membranes of the mouth and increase the saliva thickness.
I would advise you to see your doctor or sleep therapist and make sure that the size of the CPAP mask is appropriate for you. Also you may use humidifiers at a low setting to relieve the symptoms. Use of chin straps will help keep the mouth closed during sleep. Oral creams can also be used to prevent excessive drying of the mucosa.

Questions related to Sleep Apnea

Heart Racing When Trying to Sleep

I'm 32 year old female. I have sleep apnea. I sleep with a CPAP every night. It works great. I don't know if this pro...

Use of melotonin in children

Does melotonin for children lower their immune system

Dry mouth with CPAP Use

I have been using a CPAP with a humidifier for a year but Am ready to give up because dry mouth and throat are so se...

Weight Gain with CPAP machines

Good Morning, I have sleep apnea and have wearing a CPAP machine mask at night. I have gained about 16 pounds since...

Can a CPAP machine worsen nasal congestion?

My husband has sleep apnea and has used a C-PAP machine for about 10 years. We have a good friend who was recently ...

Tonsil contributing to sleep apnea

Hi Doctor! I'm a 32 year old male and I've been diagnosed with Obstructive sleep apnea (as well as GERD) and am want...

Peripheral neuropathy

Hello, my big toe on my left foot is always feeling asleep, numb. what could this be?

Obstructive sleep apnea

I'm kind of confused when it comes to the difference of AHI and RDI in Obstructive Sleep Apnea and I have been doing...

Post Your Thoughts