Question :

Marijuana and Surgery

Can having marijuana in your system effect having surgery and if so how long should you abstain before surgery? I have surgery on my leg in three days and i was just wondering.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Any drug whether illicit, prescribed or over-the-counter should be reported to your doctor before undergoing any surgical procedure. As it pertains to marijuana, it may affect how the medication used for anesthesia work. Another factor to be considered is that airways of smokers are more reactive to the gases used in anesthesia than non-smokers. This increases the likelihood of an anesthetic complication. It is generally advised to stop smoking (regardless of what is smoked) at least two weeks prior to undergoing general anesthesia.

Questions related to Smoking Cessation

AM A SMOKER AGE 31 , EACH TIME I SLEEP AND FACE...

Am a smoker age 31 , i need a drug that i can take while i smoke to protect my self

Phlegm from smoking cannibas

I'm a frequent pot smoker who quit a week ago due to increased phlegm production over the past year. My question is t...

Are electronic cigarettes bad for 14 year olds?

My son smokes....I have no clue where he gets the cigarettes from....he can't stop smoking....he can't stop he tried ...

How can I quite smoking?

In the past 10 years I have been a casual smoker. Between 2003-and about a month ago, I smoked barely a cigarette a d...

Will the doctor be able to tell that I have smo...

Will the doctor be able to tell that I have smoked in the past when an Endoscopy procedure is performed on me? Tha...

Hormonal changes after quitting smoking

Since smoking can mess with estrogen levels, can quitting cause breast tenderness in females?

Medical observation

Am having scratches on my anus and scrotum so what could be the cause?

Hypertension and Nose Bleeds

Ever since my friend quit smoking (a week ago) he has been having random nosebleeds and I am a little concerned. He ...

Side Effects of Champix (Varenicline)

Hello Doctor, My husband is 28 years old and is trying to quit smoking. In order to do that he started taking Champi...

Champix and use in smoking cessation

I Used champix to quit smoking in 2008, and worked for a year, personal things happened and I am smoking again I was...

Quitting smoking and use of smoke sticks.

I have a touch of emphasema i have quit smoking can you use the ciggarettes that have no nicatine in them only vapo...

Delayed Hypersensitivity Reaction and Nicotine ...

On step one nicoderm patch for almost two weeks and then yesterday started having a bad reaction to the patch: dizzi...

How long does THC stay in the body

How long does marijuana stay in blood

E-cigarettes (Vapor Cigarettes)

I bought and E cigarette and it has arrived. There is no smoke (just vapor) no carcinogens (just nicotine). I've loo...

Strategies in smoking cessation

Hai this mahesh from india. my age 30. i am state smoking last 4yeras. now i want to stop. but i not controling. wh...

Marijuana and General Anesthesia

I am scheduled to go under general anesthesia for dental surgery (wisdom teeth extraction, implant, and possible bon...

Coughing up Green Plegm Since Quitting Smoking

I am 32 years old and gave up smoking on 1 st October 2009, I have been a smoker on and off for over 10 years, but w...

Post Your Thoughts