Question :

Cough with Pain in My Rib Cage

I have had a cold for the last 4-5 days, with the cold came a very frequnt cough. Nowwhen I cough I feel pain in both sides of my rib cage. I am not coughing up any flem or blood, just feel a little pain as I said in my rib cage. Should I be concerned and is there anything I should take for it?. Thank you. Don

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Hello, I understand your concern about your moderate to severe dry cough.  Surely after an upper respiratory infection, generally the last symptom to disappear is the cough.
Sometimes the cough could be present for 2 weeks to more than a month. If the cough is accompanied by sputum production, it would be not recommended to stop it since it is a way to clear up the lungs but if the cough is dry and produces irritation usually over the counter cough syrups could be used.
It is also recommended to drink plenty of fluids and watch for signs of alert such as high fever, chest pain and sputum production. If the symptoms persist for the next few days or the get worse, you might want to consider consulting your physician to rule out Pneumonia. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Cold and Flu

What make me sneeze so much

My nose has been running for some time now. but anytime i go to school in another region of the country, the cold is...

Cold and stomach flus

So my mother who is in her 70's had what we assumed was the stomach flu. However none of the other members that were ...

I have dry mouth both lower and upper jaw hurt ...

What does it mean when your jaws hurt and your ear and u have dry mouth and how do u get rid of it

Cold like symptoms/left ear popping

Hello For the past few months my nose has felt clogged, like i have a cold/allergy. Also my left ear is popping al...

i dont know what to do please help me

i havea very swollen tonsil and it brings a crying pain and i keep coughing up yellowish orange mucus and i cannot ...

coughing up mucus that leads to throwing up

Every morning my husband wakes up he eats breakfast then he start coughing and spitting up mucus then when he go's to...

fever feeling

About three months ago I felt like I had a fever but my temperature was normal. I had the chills, body aches, felt we...

Flu symptoms, fever, swollen gums

Hello! I have flu like symptoms: bad body aches, headache, feel very hot, I have a 101.6 fever, swollen gums, and a...

Are sauna or steam room bad if I have a fever?

Is it a bad idea to go to the sauna or steam room if I have a fever?

Lost voice to a severe cough, tremors

My symptom started out about 6 days ago as if I was losing my voice but has now steadily developed into more of a per...

Severe Congestion! Cannot breathe.

How can I cure this consistent severe sinus congestion?

Should I see a doctor because of my swollen thr...

Should I go get a doctor to check my swollen feeling throat? Or am I okay just leaving it be.

Do I treat at home or go to a doctor?

I have an achy body , Chills, i can't seem to get warm from , i have continuous sinus drainage but zero fever. is th...

Coughs and colds

Coughing up green phlem what does that mean?

Not sure if cold related. Long Term Cough, Tig...

For about 10 weeks I've felt like I had a cold. Slight cough, runny nose, but no blocked sinuses or headache. About ...

Problem With Nasal Discharge in Children

I am a teacher in a Montessori Toddler classroom. We have seen a lot of sicknesses this year from normal common cold...

How long will I be contagious from a sore throat?

I had a sore throat and burning chestfor a week. I was also dizzy and weak. I took all the precautions I knew. I cou...

Exceeded dosage limit of Doru-Tuss and Dimetapp?

I gave my 2 year old son 3ml of durotuss and approx 3 hours later gave him 2.5ml of dimetapp - will he be OK as the ...

Cough and Cold or Symptoms of Asthma?

I have been fighting these symptoms cough, runny nose, sneezing, headache, chest hurting, and nausea from the coughi...

When to see a Doctor for Cold or Bronchitis?

I have had what I think is a cold for over three weeks now. Stuffed Nose, Fever that comes and goes, a bit of dizzin...

Swelling in front of right ear

My son has a lump in front of his right ear and swelling on the right side of his head and redness in is right eye. ...

OTC medications for colds causing insomnia

When my husband takes otc cold medications he can't sleep at night. Are their certain ingredients he shoud avoid?

Pea size lump under chin

I have had a small pea size lump dead center under my chin for 3 days it's sore t the touch..I have had a bad cold an...

Does common cold drop body temperature?

Is it normal for the body temperature to drop when you have a cold? My temp has currently dropped down to 96.2

Cold and flu and nose bleeds

Dear doc when i blow my nose i see small amount of blood with mucus from my nose and i sufer to cold or flu with 3 w...

Amoxicillin and cetrizine for cold?

Can i use cipmox 250 mg(amoxycillin trihydrate) and okacet 10 mg(cetrizine hydrochloride) for cold?

Flu Shot complications

What sort of a doctor should I see for flu shot complications?

Zyrtec-d with Chlordiazepoxide mixing medications

Is it safe to mix zyrtec-d with chlordiazepoxide

Flu symptoms, even after receiving flu shots

Let me start by saying we have all received the flu shots. Last 3 days severe headache backache, muscle pain chills ...

Inhalation of hair bleach

I have accidentally inhaled fumes from a hair bleaching kit 2 days ago. Since then I have been coughing, sneezing, a...

Vomiting and loose stools when I have cold

Every time I get a cold, I also get severe vomiting and diarrhoea as well.each time I have an episode of diarrhoea, ...

treatment for cough since past 2 weeks

Hey i have a very strong cough since two weeks . whats the best treatment ? thank you very much

Ear nose chest infection, do I need antibiotics?

I have severe sinus pressure pain in ears and chest congestion cough With phlem should I get over counter meDs or an...

Cold and Flu Scare

Ok I'm not sure whats wrong with me, I've had a cold for about a week now, and I'm still sick. I have a sore throat...

Sore throat and infection - need advice

I have been having a lot of headaches lately just behind my right eyebrow (your left). The headaches don't really wo...

Signs of viral flu infection

Hi i dont have fever but i am very cod. i have a headache and stomach ache. extreme dizziness and i want to throug...

Virus versus Bacterial - When is antibiotics ne...

I saw my doctor yesterday because I am caughing up lime green stuff. I have no temp. She said that just because it...

Cold, blocked nose, sore throat with eye discharge

I have a blocked nose but feels like nothing is in my nose it hurts when i swallow my voice is crackly my right ear ...

Swollen glands while pregnant

I am 5 months pregnant I woke up two days ago with the glands on one side of my face swollen - one in front of my e...

Is this the common cold or do i have something ...

I have a runny nose and a cough and when i cough i cough up green slimy balls of stuff and i'm losing my voice but i...

What could this be? Is it the cold or something...

Symptoms started yesterday but I have got more today. My throat is hoarse. Hurts when I swallow food water talk cou...

Bleeding from the nose

Is it normal to have bloody noses when having a cold with no sinus pressure and no nose blowing?

Blood in my cough

I got blood in my cough this morning, should i be worried?

Red spot on the roof of mouth. Could it be cancer?

I had a stuffy nose, headache, tiredness, severe sore throat, swollen lymph node in the neck, and fluid in the ear i...

Allergic to cephalexin? Should I try something ...

I have been congested since Halloween. I never had a sore throat. Just head aches and then a solid cough. Friday the...

Does Flu Vaccines Have Active Viruses?

Hi. Can you tell me if the flu shot I get at the doctor's office is considered "active" or "inactive."

Is this a common cold?

I have a cough that is getting worse, low ammount of mucous, ear aches, no fever, sore throat, and feel nasuea now a...

Recurring Cold Symptoms, Do I need To Be Worried?

Should I be concerned that i have had the same cold four times in two months?

Ear damage while blowing the nose.

Hi, my name's Daniel and I've had a cold now for the past week, and I've been constantly blowing my nose. At one poi...

Dry Cough with blood and weakness

I have a dry cough, have been coughing up a small amount of blood, no energy, sore throat. Is this viral or is it s...

Post Your Thoughts