Question :

Cause of Change in Voice Quality

Hi, I have had a problem getting my voice back to its normal deep state for about 7-8 months now. It almost sounds like its constricted or something, it also seems to tire and start to ache fairly easily. The only time is seems to go back to relative normality is when i binge drink the night before my vocal cords go back to the normal low voice. i also seem to have to always be gargling mucus in my throat to clear it all the time. There is also a painless almost scab like feeling right by my adams apple (of course on the inside of my throat somewhere). What could this be? Im desperate to get this fixed! its affecting my whole social life and it sucks! what are some treatments?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Most likely, you have developed a vocal cord mass. This mass could be a polyp, nodule or cyst. None of these masses are cancer. A polyp is a small overgrowth of normal tissue while a cyst is collection of fluid sealed off by a thin wall.  To confirm the diagnosis you will need to do a direct laryngoscopy. This involves a doctor using a special instrument to look directly at the vocal cords.
These masses are most often treated without surgery. Voice therapy, hydration and avoidance of abuse are sometimes all that is required to correct the problem. If this doesn’t work then a surgical option is considered.  See your ENT specialist to confirm the diagnosis and discuss treatment options.

Questions related to Sore Throat

Swallowed candle wax

My boyfriend was blowing out a scented candle and he accidentally blew too hard and a tiny bit of the melted wax got ...

Sore throat and tongue and bits of blood in sal...

The past few days I've had a 'sore' back of tongue and 'sore' throat, when I wake up in the morning I spit up a bit o...

I burnt my throat 3 days ago on hot food still ...

I burnt my throat 3 days ago on hot food and it still hurt even when im not eating it hurts more to swallow

What are these symptoms of?

Hello, I am a 17 year old female. Recently, I developed a sore throat in about one day. The following day, I noticed ...

Sore Throat not Sinus Infection or Strep

I woke up Wednesday with a sore throat. I have had no other symptoms. It has not gone away or gotten any better. The ...

White spots on tonsils, negative strep test.

I woke up two days ago with a sore throat. I assumed it was post nasal drip since I’ve been having some sinus p...

Possible Strep?

I have a sore throat that hurts even when I'm not talking. I also feel a stiffness in my neck, fatigue, and it hurts...

Does a history of pneumonia mean that I should ...

I had a fever of 103 five day ago. Since then my throat has been aching as if it is swollen, I have been congested, a...

What is wrong with my throat?

Yesterday my throat began to hurt and in the evening I took a look at it and there are little white lumps back there....

Swallowed a chicken wing bone

i swallowed a chicken wing bone not sure on size, but when it happened it waa hard a little hard to breath so i rubb...

terrible throat pain

I have terrible throat pain. It hurts to swallow and it is really Red and swollen. I also have a gray furry tounge. I...

can barely eat or drink or swallow at all plea...

What could cause Painful difficult swallowing incliding while swallowing food, with the feeling of a lump in my throa...

Actinomyces colonies in tonsils

I have had a Chronic sore throat for 8 months. It almost always hurts and is Very red in the back. I had my tonsils r...

Long-term sore throat

I've had a sore throat off and on for some time now. It began back in December of 2013 and seems to be at its worst i...

Severe bad throat for last 8 days

Hello, Today is day 8 of my severe sore throat. I have been tested for strep twice and the rapid tests and cultures ...

White spots on tonsils again. Just took anitbio...

Should I go to a doctor to get my tonsils checked out again or is it just allergies/post nasal drip?

Swollen tonsils

Should I bother going to a doctor, or continue with over the counter products?

Sore throat and coughing up of mucus

Hi, for the past couple of days I have been feeling kind of sick. It started 2 days ago when i noticed my nose seeme...

Sore throat when laying down at night

Hi! I've been having this weird problem recently where when I lay down at night, I get a terrible sore throat. I don'...

Just started feeling a sore throat and strep is...

At school unfortunately strep throat is going around. I have astma so anytime I get just a little sick it turns into ...

severe sore throat

Do I have strep throat or tonsillitis? Or something else?

Can't find it online anywhere. HELP!

When I was younger, all up until my senior year in highschool, every winter I fell victim to strep or tonsillitis. Ev...

Sore throat and burning chest sensation

My wife suffers from a burning chest sensation (not lungs) and as if something is poking at her chest from the insid...

Sore and dry thoat

Ive had a sore dry throat for the past 3 days its killing me ive tried gargling warm salt water, taking medicine, an...

Painfull White bumps in back of throat!

I have been suffering from a sore throat for the past week or so. Looking in the back of my throat you can see small...

Post Your Thoughts