Hard bump behind uvula

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I noticed last Thursday while looking at my throat and found a large bump behind my uvula. It doesn't hurt and it could have been there for a while and I just never noticed it. I do have chronic allergies all yyear round. I'm wondering is this just normal anatomy of my throat? Thanks!

Dear Patient:  It is most probable that the large bump behind the uvula is inflammatory tissue. This seems most probable due to the fact that you have symptoms of allergy throughout the year. in most cases, the mass should disappear or regress spontaneously as your allergic symptoms subside. I would also advise you to avoid smoking, which will make the swelling worse. If the lump does not subside, I would suggest that you see a ENT doctor for examination. A biopsy may be required if the lump is hard and adherent to the surrounding structures.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for