Should I see the doctor ?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I started sleeping poorly for two night and woke wth stiff neck both mornings,then the third morning I started running a low grade (1o1.2 at the highest) fever off and on, with a bit of congestion in the throat, and a little more tired than norm,the next morning, which is today, I still had slight fever off and on and noticed some swelling in my limp nods or throat, and my throat was very scratchy to the point of causing me to cough.Is this just a cold starting, or is this the start of meningitis or strep throat symptoms?

Dear Patient:  I understand how concerned you are about your condition. The symptoms that you have are commonly found in respiratory infections such as the Flu or Pharingitis.  However it's easy to mistake the early signs and symptoms of meningitis for the flu (influenza). Meningitis symptoms may develop over a period of one or two days. I would suggest you to watch for high fever, vomiting, severe headaches, sensitivity to light and confusion. If you notice any of these symptoms, a visit to your doctor might me mandatory to rule out possible meningitis.
On the other hand, the most probable cause would be a viral infection that may last for a few days, be sure to drink plenty of fluids and you could take over the counter medications such as Acetaminophen to treat your light fever or Ibuprofen which will also treat your inflamed lymph nodes. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for