Question :

Ear Nose and Throat infection

Hello. I am having some trouble with an illness and need some advice on what to do next. I am not a fan of my doctors office as they are all pill pushers (and cant change venue due to insurance restrictions) so I am trying to avoid having to go unless its necessary. I have what seems to be strep throat (white splotches on swollen tonsils- only on tonsils), and have been treating it with over the counter meds. Recently my lower back has started to hurt in the kidney area and am not sure if they are related. Also, I have coughed up a little blood in my phlegm (twice so far in last week but not much), and I popped my right ear, which started to bleed (again not much, but painful aches). I am sure these are all connected to my illness, but am looking to see if there are any at home remedies to help this. If it is recommended that I see my physician, I will. I just dont want to be put on meds that I dont need. My mother is a nurse, so please dont think I hate doctors. Im just not fond of the lack of care that my doctor seems to have. So far, I have tried sudafed sore throat, lozenges, and chamomile tea to help relieve the throat pain, but nothing is working. Thanks for your time and help!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand how concerned you are about your symptoms. After reading carefully your description of the syndrome, in my opinion, I agree with you that your sore throat might be related to your ear symptoms and possibly to your lower back pain.
The medications that you are taking are just symptomatic and would not take care of the bacterial Infection that you apparently have, White pots on the back of your throat, phlegm, swollen tonsils and pain when swallow are very characteristic of a bacterial throat infection.
The throat is connected to the middle ear and the infection could have progressed to your ears. I would definitely suggest you to consult your physician immediately to rule out a possible bacterial infection and start the right antibiotics as soon as possible. Usually azythromycin or erythromycin would cover all the most common pathogens. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Sore Throat

Swallowed candle wax

My boyfriend was blowing out a scented candle and he accidentally blew too hard and a tiny bit of the melted wax got ...

Sore throat and tongue and bits of blood in sal...

The past few days I've had a 'sore' back of tongue and 'sore' throat, when I wake up in the morning I spit up a bit o...

I burnt my throat 3 days ago on hot food still ...

I burnt my throat 3 days ago on hot food and it still hurt even when im not eating it hurts more to swallow

What are these symptoms of?

Hello, I am a 17 year old female. Recently, I developed a sore throat in about one day. The following day, I noticed ...

Sore Throat not Sinus Infection or Strep

I woke up Wednesday with a sore throat. I have had no other symptoms. It has not gone away or gotten any better. The ...

White spots on tonsils, negative strep test.

I woke up two days ago with a sore throat. I assumed it was post nasal drip since I’ve been having some sinus p...

Possible Strep?

I have a sore throat that hurts even when I'm not talking. I also feel a stiffness in my neck, fatigue, and it hurts...

Does a history of pneumonia mean that I should ...

I had a fever of 103 five day ago. Since then my throat has been aching as if it is swollen, I have been congested, a...

What is wrong with my throat?

Yesterday my throat began to hurt and in the evening I took a look at it and there are little white lumps back there....

Swallowed a chicken wing bone

i swallowed a chicken wing bone not sure on size, but when it happened it waa hard a little hard to breath so i rubb...

terrible throat pain

I have terrible throat pain. It hurts to swallow and it is really Red and swollen. I also have a gray furry tounge. I...

can barely eat or drink or swallow at all plea...

What could cause Painful difficult swallowing incliding while swallowing food, with the feeling of a lump in my throa...

Actinomyces colonies in tonsils

I have had a Chronic sore throat for 8 months. It almost always hurts and is Very red in the back. I had my tonsils r...

Long-term sore throat

I've had a sore throat off and on for some time now. It began back in December of 2013 and seems to be at its worst i...

Severe bad throat for last 8 days

Hello, Today is day 8 of my severe sore throat. I have been tested for strep twice and the rapid tests and cultures ...

White spots on tonsils again. Just took anitbio...

Should I go to a doctor to get my tonsils checked out again or is it just allergies/post nasal drip?

Swollen tonsils

Should I bother going to a doctor, or continue with over the counter products?

Sore throat and coughing up of mucus

Hi, for the past couple of days I have been feeling kind of sick. It started 2 days ago when i noticed my nose seeme...

Sore throat when laying down at night

Hi! I've been having this weird problem recently where when I lay down at night, I get a terrible sore throat. I don'...

Just started feeling a sore throat and strep is...

At school unfortunately strep throat is going around. I have astma so anytime I get just a little sick it turns into ...

severe sore throat

Do I have strep throat or tonsillitis? Or something else?

Can't find it online anywhere. HELP!

When I was younger, all up until my senior year in highschool, every winter I fell victim to strep or tonsillitis. Ev...

Sore throat and burning chest sensation

My wife suffers from a burning chest sensation (not lungs) and as if something is poking at her chest from the insid...

Sore and dry thoat

Ive had a sore dry throat for the past 3 days its killing me ive tried gargling warm salt water, taking medicine, an...

Painfull White bumps in back of throat!

I have been suffering from a sore throat for the past week or so. Looking in the back of my throat you can see small...

Post Your Thoughts