Sore throat, swollen glands, small lump: Causes?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hello, For the past four weeks I have been experiencing a sore throat followed by swollen glands (where the neck is meeting the jaw) and mild frequent coughing. I went to my doctor after the first week and I started first dose of antibiotics for 8 days. As the symptoms did not pass, he changed my medication with two other types of antibiotics, but that did not seem to work as well. Anti-inflammatory medication did not have any effect. I had blood tests to check my thyroid (TSH), but the values were normal and the number of white cells was in normal limits and not very high. Now he suggested I do a thyroid echography and esophageal transit. I feel something like a small lump on the right part of the larynx and the pain is more severe in the right part. I noticed it one day ago and I did not get a chance to talk with my doctor yet. The trouble is that we cannot really find the cause yet and the small lump is worrying me. Could you please guide me on what could be some possible diagnoses or what could cause all these symptoms? Thank you very much for your help.

Dear Patient:  Your symptoms seem to be more predictive of a acute infection which is draining into the lypmph nodes of the neck thus causing enlarged Lymph nodes ( glands) .However since antibiotics and you also notice another lump in the area of the neck which is painfull it may be advisable to get an ultrasound of that lump performed. This will help determine whether it is a lymph node or other concerning nodule like a cyst or cancer. It is very difficult to exactly pin point to a diagnoses at present without a physical examination and some more tests. All the best.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for