Prescribed Ofloxacin for Sore Throat

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hi my doctor prescribe me ofloxacin for my strep sore throat ,but when i search about such medicine is not recommended for sore throat , shall i continue eating it or stop .its just for my strep sore throat

Dear Patient:  You should probably continue the antibiotic and complete the course to prevent the development of tolerance and resistance to this antibiotic. Although the preferred antibiotic treatment is penicillin, amoxicillin, erythromycin, cephalosporins or azithromycin, they are prescribed to reduce the duration of infection, transmission of infection and prevent development of any complications, even if it is left untreated, the body will generally clear the infection within two to five days, and this is the usual course of the illness. You may want to consult your doctor in case your symptoms do not start to improve or get worse for the change of antibiotics in a couple of days.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for