Question :

Prescribed Ofloxacin for Sore Throat

Hi my doctor prescribe me ofloxacin for my strep sore throat ,but when i search about such medicine is not recommended for sore throat , shall i continue eating it or stop .its just for my strep sore throat

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
You should probably continue the antibiotic and complete the course to prevent the development of tolerance and resistance to this antibiotic. Although the preferred antibiotic treatment is penicillin, amoxicillin, erythromycin, cephalosporins or azithromycin, they are prescribed to reduce the duration of infection, transmission of infection and prevent development of any complications, even if it is left untreated, the body will generally clear the infection within two to five days, and this is the usual course of the illness. You may want to consult your doctor in case your symptoms do not start to improve or get worse for the change of antibiotics in a couple of days.

Questions related to Sore Throat

Sore throat and tongue and bits of blood in sal...

The past few days I've had a 'sore' back of tongue and 'sore' throat, when I wake up in the morning I spit up a bit o...

What are these symptoms of?

Hello, I am a 17 year old female. Recently, I developed a sore throat in about one day. The following day, I noticed ...

Sore Throat not Sinus Infection or Strep

I woke up Wednesday with a sore throat. I have had no other symptoms. It has not gone away or gotten any better. The ...

White spots on tonsils, negative strep test.

I woke up two days ago with a sore throat. I assumed it was post nasal drip since I’ve been having some sinus p...

Possible Strep?

I have a sore throat that hurts even when I'm not talking. I also feel a stiffness in my neck, fatigue, and it hurts...

Does a history of pneumonia mean that I should ...

I had a fever of 103 five day ago. Since then my throat has been aching as if it is swollen, I have been congested, a...

What is wrong with my throat?

Yesterday my throat began to hurt and in the evening I took a look at it and there are little white lumps back there....

Swallowed a chicken wing bone

i swallowed a chicken wing bone not sure on size, but when it happened it waa hard a little hard to breath so i rubb...

terrible throat pain

I have terrible throat pain. It hurts to swallow and it is really Red and swollen. I also have a gray furry tounge. I...

can barely eat or drink or swallow at all plea...

What could cause Painful difficult swallowing incliding while swallowing food, with the feeling of a lump in my throa...

Actinomyces colonies in tonsils

I have had a Chronic sore throat for 8 months. It almost always hurts and is Very red in the back. I had my tonsils r...

Long-term sore throat

I've had a sore throat off and on for some time now. It began back in December of 2013 and seems to be at its worst i...

Severe bad throat for last 8 days

Hello, Today is day 8 of my severe sore throat. I have been tested for strep twice and the rapid tests and cultures ...

White spots on tonsils again. Just took anitbio...

Should I go to a doctor to get my tonsils checked out again or is it just allergies/post nasal drip?

Swollen tonsils

Should I bother going to a doctor, or continue with over the counter products?

Sore throat and coughing up of mucus

Hi, for the past couple of days I have been feeling kind of sick. It started 2 days ago when i noticed my nose seeme...

Sore throat when laying down at night

Hi! I've been having this weird problem recently where when I lay down at night, I get a terrible sore throat. I don'...

Just started feeling a sore throat and strep is...

At school unfortunately strep throat is going around. I have astma so anytime I get just a little sick it turns into ...

severe sore throat

Do I have strep throat or tonsillitis? Or something else?

Can't find it online anywhere. HELP!

When I was younger, all up until my senior year in highschool, every winter I fell victim to strep or tonsillitis. Ev...

Sore throat and burning chest sensation

My wife suffers from a burning chest sensation (not lungs) and as if something is poking at her chest from the insid...

Sore and dry thoat

Ive had a sore dry throat for the past 3 days its killing me ive tried gargling warm salt water, taking medicine, an...

Painfull White bumps in back of throat!

I have been suffering from a sore throat for the past week or so. Looking in the back of my throat you can see small...

Extremely sore throat not better with antibiotics

I been on antibiotics and pain meds for two days now. My throat is getting worse not better. My ear hurts and I can ...

Fever with chills, headache and sore throat

Last night i had fever with chills , but the temperature was normal when I measured it with a thermometer. I also go...

Continious sore throat after strep throat treat...

I have had a sore throat for over a month, went to the doctor and they told me that i had strep troat, took all the ...

Sore throat mild to severe - Sign of Strep Throat?

Hello,i am 17years old,a month from 18 and a male. My problem is that i have had a sore throat for almost 3 full day...

On and off sore throat for a month

I have a tiny white dot (looks like a whitehead pimple) on one tonsil which is slightly swollen and I have had an ex...

Sore throat with ear pain no fever

SORE THROAT WITH EAR PAIN. NO FEVER VERY PAINFUL TO SWALLOW AND HOARSE.

Large Red Bumps And White On Back Of Tongue

I had strep and an ear infection. Took Antibiotics given, now have sore throat and bigger sized red bumps on back of...

White spots on Tonsils, Is it due to strep infe...

My mom is having trouble breathing at night, she can't sleep and she keeps complaining about her throat and when you...

Sore throat and Reflux disease

HI BEEN HAVING A PROBLEM WIYH MY THROA AND NECK IT FEELS SWOLLEN AND SORE ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR MONTHS. AND IM GETT...

Hard bump behind uvula

I noticed last Thursday while looking at my throat and found a large bump behind my uvula. It doesn't hurt and it co...

Throat pain and swelling inside throat.

My name is Abdulwahid i m suffering from throat infection. before 2 week i was feeling so pain on my right side of t...

Home remedies for Sore Throat

My insurance just ended and I cant afford to go to the doctor, and I am unable to try to get new insurance cause it ...

Can you crush up vitamin c pills?

I woke up with a sore throat and my sister told me to take Vitamin c pills but i can't swallow it it's too big. can ...

Symptoms of headache, sore throat and swollen g...

What would cause the symptoms of a sever headache, sore neck, and swollen gums? What would this be called?

Mitral valve prolapse with cough and sore throat

I been sick for 2 weeks it started sore throat coughing alot, sinuses, I became very weak. I took musinex cold and c...

Sore throat and cold

Hey i started getting sick going on 3 days ago i have a sore throat hard to swallow no fever but my chest burns and ...

Sore throat and fever

My husband has a sore throat with some swelling..he has a slight fever with pain from his neck to his feet.its getti...

Can I take Amoxicillin with Ibuprofen?

Can I take Amoxicillin together with Ibuprofen? coz i have a sore throat and my tonsils are swelling. please help

Sore Throat, Possible viral infection?

Hi ive been feeling unwell for 2 weeks it started with cold like symptoms drowsiness sore chest runny nose etc then...

I have a crack on the roof of my mouth(CleftPal...

The crack goes from my top front teeth where the gap between the two teeth are, completley straight through the roof...

Flu over but sore throat still there?

I've recently had a mild bout of flu (fever 38.5c for one day and night, aching muscles, headache) and feels much be...

Muscle aches and throat pain

I accidently mistook my friends Symbicort inhaler for my own albuterol inhaler. That was last Thursday and since the...

Severe tonsillitis symptoms: how to soothe pain

Ok so i am 19, female. healthy. NO DRUG ALLERGIES. i started a new job in Feb. and since then have gotten tonsilliti...

Same symptoms three weeks apart from visit to t...

Over the last month I have been sick twice, both times after spending a weekend at the same friend's apartment in an...

Sore throat and pain on swallowing

It hurts when I swallow, and it feels like my throat is swollen.. what is the quick remedy overnight?

Is it okay to take Advil and oral steroids toge...

Hi, ive had a sore throat now for 4 days fallowed with neck pain, headache,temp everyday between 100.5- 101.9, swoll...

Sore throat for more than 2 months

Constant sore throat for 2 months. I am a death metal singer and have to use my voice and it hurts to bad to even si...

Post Your Thoughts