Recurrent Throat abscesses, remedy?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Dear Doc, I've had 2 throat abscesses in my lifetime so far and I'm 21 years old...I thought i was getting a sore throat, but I can tell from the other 2 times I had this that this is slowly growing into a throat abscess (cyst) in my throat on the left side. I went to the ER when i had this and had it surgically removed with a needle and all the pus and blood came out, etc.. the problem is I do not want to go back there to have it removed and spend all the money at the ER. Is there anything over the counter or anything I can do to make this cyst in my throat go away? I read somewhere to take a lot of cod fish oil pills, not sure if that works though. I would really appreciate it if there was any way you could help me. thank you.. also do you think im getting these due to the fact that I smoke a lot of pot? or does that have nothing to do with this? thank you again for your time doc. Regards, Stephen Green

Dear Patient:  Firstly, an abscess and a cyst are two different things. Abscess is collection of infected material and requires surgical drainage and antibiotics to be adequately treated. A cyst is merely a collection of non-infected fluid. Based on your description, you have had two prior abscesses. You may be having a recurrence. If this is the case, there is NO over the counter remedy that will cure this condition. You will require medical attention. In fact, you should see an ENT specialist ass you may require surgical removal of your tonsils as these are the likely source of your recurrent throat abscesses.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: