Question :

Same symptoms three weeks apart from visit to the same place.

Over the last month I have been sick twice, both times after spending a weekend at the same friend's apartment in another town (visits were three weeks apart). Symptoms include sore throat, coughing, headache, mild fever, and sinus drainage that is either clear or an opaque white. Symptoms onset about a day after returning to my home. Both times I spent about three days at the friend's home. As far as I know, none of the apartment residents are sick (four college age males live there), but I find it an odd coincidence that I've been ill twice after visiting. The only assumption that I might make is something environmental. Given that the residents are college males, the apartment isn't the cleanest. My question is this: What could cause this? I have almost zero medical knowledge, but I would have assumed that antibodies from the previous illness would prevent me from having the exact same problem three weeks later. Especially given that I very rarely fall ill. Additional info: After the first visit I felt sick for about 10 days. To my knowledge, nobody that I came into contact with during that time became ill afterwards.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The symptoms may be due to viral infection. You may have caught the infection from any of your friends who may be suffering from cold, cough or any other infection at the time of your visit. There could also be a possibility of environmental factors like sitting near air conditioning for too long, having too much of frozen or refrigerated items like ice creams, drinks etc. Thus you may try to relate things during both visits to identify a common cause that may be responsible for your symptoms.

Questions related to Sore Throat

Sore throat and tongue and bits of blood in sal...

The past few days I've had a 'sore' back of tongue and 'sore' throat, when I wake up in the morning I spit up a bit o...

What are these symptoms of?

Hello, I am a 17 year old female. Recently, I developed a sore throat in about one day. The following day, I noticed ...

Sore Throat not Sinus Infection or Strep

I woke up Wednesday with a sore throat. I have had no other symptoms. It has not gone away or gotten any better. The ...

White spots on tonsils, negative strep test.

I woke up two days ago with a sore throat. I assumed it was post nasal drip since I’ve been having some sinus p...

Possible Strep?

I have a sore throat that hurts even when I'm not talking. I also feel a stiffness in my neck, fatigue, and it hurts...

Does a history of pneumonia mean that I should ...

I had a fever of 103 five day ago. Since then my throat has been aching as if it is swollen, I have been congested, a...

What is wrong with my throat?

Yesterday my throat began to hurt and in the evening I took a look at it and there are little white lumps back there....

Swallowed a chicken wing bone

i swallowed a chicken wing bone not sure on size, but when it happened it waa hard a little hard to breath so i rubb...

terrible throat pain

I have terrible throat pain. It hurts to swallow and it is really Red and swollen. I also have a gray furry tounge. I...

can barely eat or drink or swallow at all plea...

What could cause Painful difficult swallowing incliding while swallowing food, with the feeling of a lump in my throa...

Actinomyces colonies in tonsils

I have had a Chronic sore throat for 8 months. It almost always hurts and is Very red in the back. I had my tonsils r...

Long-term sore throat

I've had a sore throat off and on for some time now. It began back in December of 2013 and seems to be at its worst i...

Severe bad throat for last 8 days

Hello, Today is day 8 of my severe sore throat. I have been tested for strep twice and the rapid tests and cultures ...

White spots on tonsils again. Just took anitbio...

Should I go to a doctor to get my tonsils checked out again or is it just allergies/post nasal drip?

Swollen tonsils

Should I bother going to a doctor, or continue with over the counter products?

Sore throat and coughing up of mucus

Hi, for the past couple of days I have been feeling kind of sick. It started 2 days ago when i noticed my nose seeme...

Sore throat when laying down at night

Hi! I've been having this weird problem recently where when I lay down at night, I get a terrible sore throat. I don'...

Just started feeling a sore throat and strep is...

At school unfortunately strep throat is going around. I have astma so anytime I get just a little sick it turns into ...

severe sore throat

Do I have strep throat or tonsillitis? Or something else?

Can't find it online anywhere. HELP!

When I was younger, all up until my senior year in highschool, every winter I fell victim to strep or tonsillitis. Ev...

Sore throat and burning chest sensation

My wife suffers from a burning chest sensation (not lungs) and as if something is poking at her chest from the insid...

Sore and dry thoat

Ive had a sore dry throat for the past 3 days its killing me ive tried gargling warm salt water, taking medicine, an...

Painfull White bumps in back of throat!

I have been suffering from a sore throat for the past week or so. Looking in the back of my throat you can see small...

Extremely sore throat not better with antibiotics

I been on antibiotics and pain meds for two days now. My throat is getting worse not better. My ear hurts and I can ...

Fever with chills, headache and sore throat

Last night i had fever with chills , but the temperature was normal when I measured it with a thermometer. I also go...

Post Your Thoughts