Question :

Stiff neck: Neck Strain

I woke up with a slight stiff neck yesterday morning, and as the day went on it got worse. By bedtime I could not turn my head without serious pain. I could not lay down to sleep without pain, and I ended up sleeping in the recliner. I also have had a low grade fever and some nausea during the night. I have an ice pack on my neck now, and it seems to be helping a little. What could be causing this? Should I see a doctor? I have never had neck pain like this before, except with a whiplash injury 20 years ago.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The most frequent cervical injuries in athletes and young and active people are probably acute strains and sprains of the musculature of the neck, as well as soft-tissue contusions. The neck is an area where stability has been sacrificed for mobility, making it particularly vulnerable to injury. A strain refers to an injury to a muscle, occurring when a muscle-tendon unit is stretched or overloaded. A sprain refers to a ligamentous injury, and the diagnosis of cervical sprain implies that the ligamentous and capsular structures connecting the cervical facet joints and vertebrae have been damaged. Practically, a cervical sprain may be difficult to differentiate from a strain, and the 2 injuries often occur simultaneously. Cervical spine strains and sprains frequently occur as a result of a whiplash injury, which often occurs as the result of motor vehicle accidents, falls, sports-related accidents, or other traumatic events that cause a sudden jerk of the head and neck. Cervical injuries may develop over a time period as well (e.g., prolonged unusual posture, chronic repetitive strains of the neck). People with occupations requiring repetitive or prolonged neck extension (microtrauma) may develop neck strain injury. Picture someone sitting at a computer keyboard, for example, straining to see a monitor that is not adjusted properly for the person's posture. Also, the person may be trying to see the monitor through poorly adjusted bifocal lenses and must tip the chin upward to view the screen. Now tuck a telephone into the person's shoulder for much of the day, and you have a formula for neck strain. Seeing a doctor is vital for all strains with a significant mechanism of injury or for severe, persistent, or unexplained symptoms or problems. As with other conditions, supportive self-care is often enough for you to have a complete recovery. If your symptoms do not go away as expected or if new symptoms appear, you should seek medical attention without delay.

Questions related to Stiff Neck

Hard immovable lump on the back of my neck near...

I have a very hard immovable lump on the back of my neck. It feels like it is attached around C2 on the left side. It...

very odd pain in neck

should I be worried about the pain/stiffness in my neck

Herniated disk C5/C6. Is white water rafting o...

I have a herniated disk, C5/C6, in my neck from an auto accident sustained 8 or 9 years ago. I really want to partic...

Headache and stiff neck for a week

For the past week and a half i have had a very bad headache and a very sore and stiff neck i can touch my chin to ...

Tension and pain in the head, neck and shoulders

I have been suffering with tension like pain in my neck and shoulders for over a week causing headaches and nausea. ...

Neck pain and tingling radiated to the jaw and ...

I am getting a tingling sensation on my right shoulder that radiates up my neck and jaw I have been having neck pain...

Management of whiplash injury

I had an auto accident suffered whiplash. Now MRI shows 4 discs out of place I have been doing physio treatment but ...

Torticollis

Hi,i am 20 years old girl and suffering from torticollis, what is the treatment for it?

Stiff neck,Sore throat,Migranes etc.

Hello, For the past month i have sore thorat, i get migranes (in front of the head and the back) ,and i have stiff ...

Pain and tingling sensation in neck

In June 2010 I was on a 9 hour plane trip. When I got off the plane the back of my neck on the left side was hurting...

Neck fusion surgery

I need to have cervical fusion surgery. Should I have a orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon do the procedure?

Neck pain for 6 weeks

For the past six weeks I have been dealing wih stiff neck which seems to have gotten worse.I am having trouble with ...

Osteophytes in Neck

Doctor told me today that I had chicken Beak of the vertebrae of the neck. What does that mean

Pain and tingling sensation on the back of the ...

I suffer from spondylysis and have a dull ache at the nape of my neck on and off which goes away when i apply ointme...

Normal physiology post surgery

I recently had Cervical Spine surgery C2-C5 on March 12 to remove a tumor. Since the surgery my blood pressure and ...

Swollen and Painful Neck

My daughter is suffering from a swollen, painful neck. It is swollen in the front between the collar bone and jaw a...

Cervical Spinal Stenosis

I recently experienced numbness in the right arm/hand as well as 1/2 strength loss in the right tricep/pectoral. Ali...

Post Your Thoughts