Question :

Neck pain and tingling radiated to the jaw and shoulder

I am getting a tingling sensation on my right shoulder that radiates up my neck and jaw I have been having neck pain when I turn my head either way.what is it?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation (bulging discs) or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process, this seems to be your case The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”), also a re-education of your habits and posture to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. Often, you should show progressive improvement over the first 6-8 weeks with conservative treatment. If there is no significant improvement in this time frame, consider a surgical evaluation.

Questions related to Stiff Neck

Hard immovable lump on the back of my neck near...

I have a very hard immovable lump on the back of my neck. It feels like it is attached around C2 on the left side. It...

very odd pain in neck

should I be worried about the pain/stiffness in my neck

Herniated disk C5/C6. Is white water rafting o...

I have a herniated disk, C5/C6, in my neck from an auto accident sustained 8 or 9 years ago. I really want to partic...

Headache and stiff neck for a week

For the past week and a half i have had a very bad headache and a very sore and stiff neck i can touch my chin to ...

Tension and pain in the head, neck and shoulders

I have been suffering with tension like pain in my neck and shoulders for over a week causing headaches and nausea. ...

Management of whiplash injury

I had an auto accident suffered whiplash. Now MRI shows 4 discs out of place I have been doing physio treatment but ...

Torticollis

Hi,i am 20 years old girl and suffering from torticollis, what is the treatment for it?

Stiff neck,Sore throat,Migranes etc.

Hello, For the past month i have sore thorat, i get migranes (in front of the head and the back) ,and i have stiff ...

Pain and tingling sensation in neck

In June 2010 I was on a 9 hour plane trip. When I got off the plane the back of my neck on the left side was hurting...

Neck fusion surgery

I need to have cervical fusion surgery. Should I have a orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon do the procedure?

Neck pain for 6 weeks

For the past six weeks I have been dealing wih stiff neck which seems to have gotten worse.I am having trouble with ...

Osteophytes in Neck

Doctor told me today that I had chicken Beak of the vertebrae of the neck. What does that mean

Stiff neck: Neck Strain

I woke up with a slight stiff neck yesterday morning, and as the day went on it got worse. By bedtime I could not tu...

Pain and tingling sensation on the back of the ...

I suffer from spondylysis and have a dull ache at the nape of my neck on and off which goes away when i apply ointme...

Normal physiology post surgery

I recently had Cervical Spine surgery C2-C5 on March 12 to remove a tumor. Since the surgery my blood pressure and ...

Swollen and Painful Neck

My daughter is suffering from a swollen, painful neck. It is swollen in the front between the collar bone and jaw a...

Cervical Spinal Stenosis

I recently experienced numbness in the right arm/hand as well as 1/2 strength loss in the right tricep/pectoral. Ali...

Post Your Thoughts