Neck pain and tingling radiated to the jaw and shoulder

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I am getting a tingling sensation on my right shoulder that radiates up my neck and jaw I have been having neck pain when I turn my head either way.what is it?

Dear Patient:   In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation (bulging discs) or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process, this seems to be your case The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”), also a re-education of your habits and posture to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. Often, you should show progressive improvement over the first 6-8 weeks with conservative treatment. If there is no significant improvement in this time frame, consider a surgical evaluation.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for