Question :

Cervical Spinal Stenosis

I recently experienced numbness in the right arm/hand as well as 1/2 strength loss in the right tricep/pectoral. Alittle in the the right bicep/forearm. Had an MRI which showed : Disc height loss and dessication at c4/c5, c5/c6 ,c6/c7 levels. Central canal at the mid c4 vertebral body measures 10mm in maximal anterior to posterior width. Narrow. Narrowing persists throughout the mid and inferior cervical spine. Consistent with congenital central canal stenosis secondary to short pedicles. No abnormal signal identifyed in spinal cord. c2/c3 - A tiny right paracentral disc protrusion. No central canal stenosis or neeural foraminal narrowing. c3/c4 - A right paracentral disc protrusion is identifyed. This is causing mild right neural foraminal narrowing. No signicant left foraminal narrowing. Mild central canal stenosis. c4/c5 - Bilateral posterolateral disc ossteophtye present. Moderate central canal stenosis and moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. c5/c6 - Diffuse posterolateral disc osteophtye complex present, effacing the cerebrospinal fluid anterior to the cerival cord. Moderate central canal stenosis is present. Moderate to severe right neural foraminal narrowing and moderate left foraminal narrowing. c6/c7 - Diffuse posteralateral disc ossteophyte complex present,creating moderate central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing and mild left neural foraminal narrowing. c7/t1 - normal. 1- Multi-Level disc dengeneration. 2- Congential central canal stenosis of the mid and inferior cervical spine secondary to short pedicles. 3- The most significant central canal stenosis is identifyed at the c5/c6 level. I am seeing a neurosuregeon next monday. My question is how do you think this will be treated? How can I get back all the feeling in my right hand/arm? And all the strenght in those muscles back? My MD said nerve damage may be permanent. I have been in this condition for 2 months now. Any opinions would be helpful.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Your MRI results show quite severe spine disease in your neck and completely explain all your symptoms. You neurosurgeon will most likely suggest a laminectomy at multiple levels or laminoplasty. A laminectomy involves removing portions of the bones of the spine in the neck to relieve the pressure on the nerves and therefore relieve your pain. A laminoplasty involves reconstructing some portions of the bones in the spine with the same aim of relieving the pressure on the nerves.
Your MD is correct in that nerve damage may sometimes be permanent. This is dependent on the extent of damaged the nerves. Your surgeon will be able to tell you more after the procedure. Post surgery you will need to do physical exercises as directed by a therapist to regain some of the strength in the affected muscles though they may not return to full power.

Questions related to Stiff Neck

Hard immovable lump on the back of my neck near...

I have a very hard immovable lump on the back of my neck. It feels like it is attached around C2 on the left side. It...

very odd pain in neck

should I be worried about the pain/stiffness in my neck

Herniated disk C5/C6. Is white water rafting o...

I have a herniated disk, C5/C6, in my neck from an auto accident sustained 8 or 9 years ago. I really want to partic...

Headache and stiff neck for a week

For the past week and a half i have had a very bad headache and a very sore and stiff neck i can touch my chin to ...

Tension and pain in the head, neck and shoulders

I have been suffering with tension like pain in my neck and shoulders for over a week causing headaches and nausea. ...

Neck pain and tingling radiated to the jaw and ...

I am getting a tingling sensation on my right shoulder that radiates up my neck and jaw I have been having neck pain...

Management of whiplash injury

I had an auto accident suffered whiplash. Now MRI shows 4 discs out of place I have been doing physio treatment but ...

Torticollis

Hi,i am 20 years old girl and suffering from torticollis, what is the treatment for it?

Stiff neck,Sore throat,Migranes etc.

Hello, For the past month i have sore thorat, i get migranes (in front of the head and the back) ,and i have stiff ...

Pain and tingling sensation in neck

In June 2010 I was on a 9 hour plane trip. When I got off the plane the back of my neck on the left side was hurting...

Neck fusion surgery

I need to have cervical fusion surgery. Should I have a orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon do the procedure?

Neck pain for 6 weeks

For the past six weeks I have been dealing wih stiff neck which seems to have gotten worse.I am having trouble with ...

Osteophytes in Neck

Doctor told me today that I had chicken Beak of the vertebrae of the neck. What does that mean

Stiff neck: Neck Strain

I woke up with a slight stiff neck yesterday morning, and as the day went on it got worse. By bedtime I could not tu...

Pain and tingling sensation on the back of the ...

I suffer from spondylysis and have a dull ache at the nape of my neck on and off which goes away when i apply ointme...

Normal physiology post surgery

I recently had Cervical Spine surgery C2-C5 on March 12 to remove a tumor. Since the surgery my blood pressure and ...

Swollen and Painful Neck

My daughter is suffering from a swollen, painful neck. It is swollen in the front between the collar bone and jaw a...

Post Your Thoughts