Question :

Can I use an Old Sunscreen, When does sunscreen expire?

I write a column for a beach magazine in New Jersey. The weather has been great this year. With the warm spring we are having, folks here might be exposed to the sun for seven months this year instead of the usual four. Locals can probably buy last year's sunscreen in the stores for half the price it will be in June. But does sunscreen expire or lose its SPF properties in a year? Three years? Thanks, jc

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Some of the usual ingredients used in the manufacture of sunscreens eg. zinc oxide, titanium dioxide are stable for a period up to three years. I would recommend that you discard a sunscreen that has passed its expiration date, is more than three years old or has been exposed to high temperatures.

Questions related to Sunburn

Sunburn Reaction

I went on a 4 day cruise and as a result became very sunburnt. On the last day of the trip I woke up with a swollen e...

Severely sunburnt feet

I have severe sunburn on the tops of my feet, they are swollen and the burns feel like typical over exposure to the s...

Severe sunburn reaction

On Monday I got sunburned on my face and now I have small, raised dots on my chin. My skin is a little discolored (or...

Sever sunburn and overexposure to the sun

I have sunburnt my legs from just above the knees to the ankles. I am expienceing tingleing in my feet now I believe...

What to do after a bad sunburn and heat exhaustion

I was at the beach all day and I put sunblock once quickly, now I have a sunburn, chills, blistering on forehead, he...

Sunburn - peeling skin and different skin colour

I got a sunburn and im starting to peel the ares that are peeling are lighter than the rest of my skin will the colo...

How can I treat a sunburn?

I had sunburn last week and some areas have skin that peeled off. After that I went into salt water and those areas ...

Sunburn on Forehead

Hey i got burnt on my forehead 2-3 months ago the skin peeled and left a pink pigment scar, will this pigment return...

Swollen head, leaking...

Hi I completed a tandem skydive 2 days ago but managed to get sunburn over my scalp, forehead and nose at some poin...

Post Your Thoughts