Question :

Ankle Gives out while walking

My left ankle gives out sometimes when i walk down a flight of stairs is that normal i have tendonitis in my right ankle the achilles tendon could i have that in my left ankle as well

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Most likely you had in the past an ankle sprain, that produced a lesion in the ligaments that stabilize the ankle joint. If this sensation of instability continues, I recommend an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon to assess the states of the ankle ligaments. But from now on you should emphasize the sprain prevention, and this can be as simple as wearing the right shoes or as complicated as balance training for athletes. Keep the ankles strong and flexible. Consult with the doctor or physical therapist for strengthening exercises. Do the same for your wrists. Wear proper shoes for every activity. Always wear stable shoes that give your ankle proper support. High-top basketball shoes are a good choice. If you are planning to participate in a sport, consider having a weak ankle taped to offer extra support. If you had have repeated sprains, wearing an ankle brace while playing may help as well. Making sure that the playing field (or home environment) is clear of any holes or obstacles also can help avoid injury.

Questions related to Tendinitis

Post mallet finger corrective surgery

I recently injured my finger during sports.It turned out to be malet finger ad were that severe surgery hd to be tak...

Jammed thumb a week ago

I jammed my finger about a week ago with extreme pain immediately, however it subsided within an hour or so with res...

Achilles tendonitis and bursitis in a pro Baske...

I am a professional basketball player overseas. Because of the language barrier its harder for me to get my question...

Wrist tendinitis episodes for several years

Dear Ask The Doctor: I have been diagnosed with tendinitis and have suffered for over 22 years now. I am going throu...

Pain in the left pectoral radiated to the shoul...

My husband is having pain in his left Cheast his arm ands back underr his shoulder blade

Pain and tingling in the wrist for the last thr...

For the past 3 weeks I have had wrist and forearm pain on my right side. When I move my wrist laterally from side to...

Dull pain in the upper right calf

I've got a dull aching in my upper right calf which sometimes radiats down the outside of my calf a bit as well. Som...

Left wrist pain for over two months: possible D...

My left wrist is in pain for more than 2 month. after i woke up in the morning, i felt the pain in my left wrist. I ...

Achilles Pain , What is the cause and management?

I have been getting sharp stabbing pains on the outside of my left achilles. It happens any time from lying down, si...

Pain and limited movements in the left wrist

I have pain in my left wrist, my wrist movements are restricted and my wrist is inflamed. I have been to the doctor ...

Possible Shoulder tendinitis due to overuse in ...

I have tendonosis in my superspentious. I am a baseball player trying to be a college athlete. I have been working o...

Shooting pain in the thumb radiated to the wrist

I get a shooting pain that radiates from the "knuckle" of my left thumb down to the inside of my left wrist. The pai...

Popping fifth finger on extension: Trigger finger

I've noticed that on the fifth finger of my right hand (small finger), I am having some problems with extension of t...

Possible Tibialis tendinitis after walking

I have a sharp pain on the top of my right foot and ankle. Every time I point my foot or turn my foot ankle. I don't...

Recovering from Achilles tendonitis

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with Tendonitis in my Achilles and Peroneal Tendons. I was put in a boot and suppo...

Post traumatic tenosynovitis of the wrist

I injured my wrist July of 2010 and it has been almost one year. The two specialists I went to advised me to not wea...

Retrocalcaneal Bursitis for one year

I have a problem of retrocalcaneal bursitis at left since last one year. can you suggest good solution. i am 60plus,...

Pain in the swollen left ankle

I have a Swollen left ankle for a week. how do you reccomend I mange it and when should I see a doctor?

Chronic Ankle and Foot Pain

Hi On my right foot (from the front of my ankle down the top of my foot), I have unbearable pain, and have had it f...

Patellar bursitis for two years

Where to start i have been to see my gp with patella tendonitis(he diagnosed) also over a year ago he gave me a ster...

Middle finger gets stuck in a bent position

Hi..trying to figure out what the ailment is..more than arthritis, not exactly carpel tunnel but i get symptoms of t...

Recently ruptured extensor hallucis longus tendon

I recently bent my toes under my foot in an abrupt and forceful manner while running. In doing so I feel I may have ...

Knee injury and partial tendon tear

I'm a 24 year old female and my knee was injured during an accident. The MRI report shows a hairline crack and a par...

Possible post traumatic tendinitis in index finger

Injury first happened a month ago, after i did some gripping and pulling action with a rope with heavy load. I am ex...

Elbow pain related to occupational factors

It appears I've developed golfer's elbow. It took me a while to figure out but I think I know what's causing it now....

Post Your Thoughts