Question :

Elevated thyroglobulin level

My 16 year old daughter's blood test came back with an elevated level of Thyroglobulins (it was 52 and they doctor said it should be 30). Is this a concern at all for thyroid cancer?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Thyroglobulin is a protein produced and used by the thyroid gland to make the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). An isolated elevated thyroglobulin level is of limited significance, if all thyroid function tests are within the normal range, and your daughter is asymptomatic. Thyroglobulin levels in the blood can be elevated in cases of Graves' disease, an autoimmune thyroid disease. They can also be used as a tumor marker for certain kinds of thyroid cancer, and to monitor response to treatment. Patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves' disease may develop antibodies against Thyroglobulin, known as anti-thyroglobulin antibodies. Some patients who are healthy also test positive for one or more thyroid antibodies and these findings tend to be higher in women and increased age. I would discuss the elevated thyroglobulin level result with your daughter’s family physician. This result must be interpreted in the correct clinical context, with the presence of relevant symptoms and abnormal thyroid function testing.

Questions related to Thyroid Disorders

How does thyroid probkems effect me?

What are some possible effects of a thyroid problem?

Took Radio active medicine for hyperactive thyroid

I was diagnosed with Hyperactive thyroid and was given Radio active iodine and from then I am taking synthroid for la...

Can taking levothyroxine cause lung cancer?

Hi, I have been taking levothyroxine for 10 years. I recently read that taken for a long time you can get lung canc...

Why is my vitamin d level extremely low and my ...

Hi, I'm 23 years old and recently found out my vitamin D level is a 16 and my calcium level is "slightly" e...

Why is my vitamin d level 16 and calcium level ...

Abnormal thyroid lab tests/brain scan

I am a 36 yr old white female. Since the birth of my son, 4.5 months ago, I have been experiencing severe joint pain,...

Abnormal thyroid test

34 yr old Male. My thyroid panel came back abnormal. Thyroxine was at 11.1 ug/dL T-Uptake was at 35.0% TSH was at 0...

Do I have thyroid cancer

I think I might have thyroid cancer, and I'm fifteen years old.

Do I have a Thyroid problem?2nd time submitting...

Can a thyroid problem cause constant buzzing sound in my ears? Due to lack of health insurance, I have been trying t...

Thyroid problems for 8 years along with headaches

i have had problems with my throid for 8 years and they cant figure it out now i have had headachs for three years no...

Normal TSH but Elevated T3 and T4

I had a physical the other day and my blood work shows that my T4 level is 11.2 and T3 is 3.14, but my TSH is 2.380. ...

Do I have a Thyroid problem?

http://www.askthedoctor.com/images/triangle-button.gif. Can a thyroid problem cause constant buzzing sound in my ea...

Confusion over the diagnosis of hypothyroidism

my PN is confusing me first she tell me i am borderline hypo then she tells me im normal.. then again today im border...

Have strep throat but am feeling quite a bit of...

I have strep throat but am feeling quite a bit of painaround my thyroid. A pulsating feeling. My neck has been a bit ...

I was wondering if I can take sea kelp tablets ...

Hi I'm a 22 year old woman and I suffer from thyroid. I have been prescribed levothyroxine tablets of 50 micrograms. ...

27 years old, suffering with thyroid problem pa...

Dear Sir/Madam, I'm 27 years old,suffering with thyroid problem past 2 years,As per my lap report,It seem like thy...

thyroid nodules likely malignant?

Routine thyroid sono showed a small hypoechoic 9 x 3 x 6mm nodule with few microcalcifications. I went for an FNA bu...

Surgery to get rid of the abnormal parathyroid

My doctor has scheduled an ultrasound and sestamibi scan of my parathyroid due to high calcium levels first one at 11...

Thyriod lobe size as per sonar

Hi im 27 and female my thyroid scan showed the following: right lobe 15x20x36mm and left one 12x19x37mm and isthmus ...

My TSH dropped

My TSH was 4.1 and has randomly dropped to 2.38? Can you explain how this has happened, I have not taken any meds and...

Thyroid Hashimotos drug interaction

Hi Doctor I have just been diagnosed as having Hashimotos, hypothyroidism! I am on 30mgs per day of Lexapro every da...

30 lbs loss in two months thyroid issue

why am I losing weight about 30 lbs. in 2 months

Are my digestive/ liver problem due to thyroid ...

Can someone please tell me if there is something wrong with my Thyroid profile. It shows higher antibodies and highe...

Presence of Hurthle cells in thryoid biopsy

Had a FNA of nodule on thyroid. Results indicate "Adequate - Benign. Hurthle cells with prominent heterogenous...

smoking

It has been a lil over a year since my totlat thyroidectomy. I started smoking cigarets a lil over a week now and ...

Post Your Thoughts