Question :

Adolescence and symptoms of Depression

So like. I'm 16 and doing my GSCE's I'm rather behind in coursework and can be a little stressed out. For the last year or so I've been feeling as if I feel nothing. I used to self-harm. There is a rather intense backstory I hate explaining. I don't know. When I'm happy, yeah I'm happy. When I'm depressed I isolate myself from everything and keep eating off the feeling. When I'm bored I get the urge to just kill someone in the most horrific way possible. I dis-like, if not hate most of my family. I'm pretty sure they resent me. My father's told me die lots etc. I have really low self-confidence and self-esteem. (Idk if they're the same thing) I would get help but I'm far too shy and I can't identify anything to go for help about. My only girlfriend has cheated on me 5 times. She's broken my heart many times over but I'm still with her. I just don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I'm so confused about the way I feel. I feel like there's nothing inside me. My self-worth is immensely low. And keeps being lowered by my father. I have spoken to childline about my home-issues and they suggested that I consider being re-located via Social Services. However I don't want to re-start my whole life. As I have 3 friends who have accepted me for me. : I just don't know. Is there anything wrong with me?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
From what symptoms you explain it sounds that you may be having some kind of depressive episodes or dysthymia ( ie overall low mood, lack of interest and initiative over 2 years) or just some adjustment and stress issues. It really is difficult to tell you about what you exactly have as for that I would need to talk to you further and understand your situation.
However you also said that you  have low self esteem and confidence along with the above mentioned symptoms. I would advice you the following
- Try talking and confiding in a confidant or some one you can talk openly about these issues with. Sharing your thoughts and ideas will help releive some of the stress you are experiencing with regards to these matters. This person can be anyone: either one of your 3 friends or a counsellor at school.
-Contact and book an appointment with your family physician for a more indepth analysis of your symptoms. There is medication as well as psychotherapy which can help treat this and is effective.
- Contact childrens services again if you feel the situation at home is becoming worse and is causing you more distress.
Moreover having said this it is important to note that many adolescents in this age group go through similar if not the same symptoms and it many a times attributes to the stresses of home , school, peers and relationships during this phase. In case you have any thoughts about hurting yourself or other I request you to seek help wither from your friends / counsellor/ family physician and talk about it.

Questions related to Depression

Need help to focus, and get energy back

Recently all my body and mind wants to do is sleep. I have lost most motivation. Before I could wake up early in th...

Depression, Bipolar?

My mother (in the last 3-4 years) has changed into a completely different person. We use to be close, but now all she...

Depression and thyroid

Hi, I am a 25 years old girl and I have been strugling with depression since I was 15/16. I can`t remember precisely,...

600mg of Wellbutrin SR vs XL. Is taking 300mg o...

I suffer very severe depression, and the pharmacies in my area are currently out of bupropion hydrochloride (Wellbutr...

delusions, and suicide attempt, depression

my freind has been hearing voices and believes he is possessed. he has been extremely depressed and had a suicide att...

prozac acid

My daughter takes 40ml of prozac daily. Today about an hour after she took it she burped it up in power form. Making ...

Feeling sick and dizzy with headaches

I have been feeling sick and dizzy and headaches plus my bones hurts it happens every four to five days

How can I stop my daydreaming.

My depression has led to my daydreaming. It became serious a couple months ago when I noticed I had become suicidal. ...

Sir my brother suffering from depression from l...

Sir my brother suffering from depression from last five month with psychiatrists in Anand, Gujarat, India. but nothin...

Globus pharyngitis

My son has Globus Pharyngis. Is there a cure?

Do I have depression? anxiety?

Do I have depression? anxiety? Over the past couple of months I've been having suicidal thoughts, I'm hardly eatin...

Love and depression exam fear

Hi sir I am in deeply in love and i am studying mbbs. Part1 final year I feeling depressed because eh girl who I love...

Supplements that could help with depression.

Are there any supplements that are known to help with depression?

Starting wellbutrin

Is it ok to take klonopin to reduce the side effects of starting wellbutrin

Depression for last 5 years and on medication

I am 35 years old and in depression for last 5-6 years. Could not sleep for years in that phase. Tried all medication...

Can propranolol cause depression ?

i have been taking propranolol for 5 weeks for ectopic heartbeats its only a small dose 1mg twice daily i think it ha...

severe depression

i read information in religion aspects but since i know this new information and i feel severe depression and stress ...

Depression after breaking up with girlfriend

For the past week I haven't been able to eat, sleep, feel happy, and I have had thoughts of suicide. I had an attack ...

Treating with same ssri?

Is it advised to treat multiple patients from the same family with the same ssri? If it works for one is there any cr...

I am depressed

I'm 16 and I feel like iv made a mess of my life I think I'm depressed iv moved out of my mums because she's bipolar ...

What is the cause of my congnitive impairment, ...

I haven't been feeling myself at all for about eight months. I have lost a lot of my memory, have a hard time retaini...

Unable to control stress

Hi, My name is Jaipal. I am basically form middle class family. I love to hard work and that's how i secured a rep...

hormonal effects on depression

I took a liver enyzme and hormone test. The lab that reported the results wrote some notes regarding the seemingly ba...

Wrong Medication?

I am on day 3 of Lexapro and experienced 2 panic attacks, nausea, heart palpitations and feeling very strange. Do I ...

Unanswered chest pains

Hello I am a 23 year old male and I have been experiencing abdominal pain every morning , everytime my stomach is em...

Post Your Thoughts