Question :

Does My Daughter Have a Prescription Addiction

My 35 year old daughter has been treated by doctors and given prescriptions. She seems very dependent on them. How do I know the difference between needing them for a "nervous condition" and abuse? She has told me that doctors and counselors have told her that she can't just "talk" her way out, but that she needs these drugs. She has been at my house for 4 days and says she feels "hot", not feverish, but hot. It is not hot in the house and the outside temp has been in the low to mid 60s. Is she addicted and how do I get her treatment? She has no job and I cannot afford to pay for her medical care.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It appears your daughter is taking medication as prescribed by her medical doctor for her medical condition.  Chronic medical conditions often require lifelong medications and this may or may not be the case with your daughter. This would not be classified at an addiction. it would be classified as medical treatment.  An addiction can be loosely defined as persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful.  Furthermore, addicted individuals often require increasingly higher doses to achieve the same effect and spend an increasing amount of time to obtain the substance to the detriment of social, academic and occupational goals.
Unless you suspect she is taking them against medical advise or taking them not as intended by her doctors,  I would not interfere with the taking of prescription medications.
If you have any concerns, the first thing to do is to speak with your daughter. If you feel she is not competent to monitor her care, then you should speak to her doctor.

Questions related to Depression

Depression and thyroid

Hi, I am a 25 years old girl and I have been strugling with depression since I was 15/16. I can`t remember precisely,...

600mg of Wellbutrin SR vs XL. Is taking 300mg o...

I suffer very severe depression, and the pharmacies in my area are currently out of bupropion hydrochloride (Wellbutr...

delusions, and suicide attempt, depression

my freind has been hearing voices and believes he is possessed. he has been extremely depressed and had a suicide att...

prozac acid

My daughter takes 40ml of prozac daily. Today about an hour after she took it she burped it up in power form. Making ...

Feeling sick and dizzy with headaches

I have been feeling sick and dizzy and headaches plus my bones hurts it happens every four to five days

How can I stop my daydreaming.

My depression has led to my daydreaming. It became serious a couple months ago when I noticed I had become suicidal. ...

Sir my brother suffering from depression from l...

Sir my brother suffering from depression from last five month with psychiatrists in Anand, Gujarat, India. but nothin...

Globus pharyngitis

My son has Globus Pharyngis. Is there a cure?

Do I have depression? anxiety?

Do I have depression? anxiety? Over the past couple of months I've been having suicidal thoughts, I'm hardly eatin...

Love and depression exam fear

Hi sir I am in deeply in love and i am studying mbbs. Part1 final year I feeling depressed because eh girl who I love...

Supplements that could help with depression.

Are there any supplements that are known to help with depression?

Starting wellbutrin

Is it ok to take klonopin to reduce the side effects of starting wellbutrin

Depression for last 5 years and on medication

I am 35 years old and in depression for last 5-6 years. Could not sleep for years in that phase. Tried all medication...

Can propranolol cause depression ?

i have been taking propranolol for 5 weeks for ectopic heartbeats its only a small dose 1mg twice daily i think it ha...

severe depression

i read information in religion aspects but since i know this new information and i feel severe depression and stress ...

Depression after breaking up with girlfriend

For the past week I haven't been able to eat, sleep, feel happy, and I have had thoughts of suicide. I had an attack ...

Treating with same ssri?

Is it advised to treat multiple patients from the same family with the same ssri? If it works for one is there any cr...

I am depressed

I'm 16 and I feel like iv made a mess of my life I think I'm depressed iv moved out of my mums because she's bipolar ...

What is the cause of my congnitive impairment, ...

I haven't been feeling myself at all for about eight months. I have lost a lot of my memory, have a hard time retaini...

Unable to control stress

Hi, My name is Jaipal. I am basically form middle class family. I love to hard work and that's how i secured a rep...

hormonal effects on depression

I took a liver enyzme and hormone test. The lab that reported the results wrote some notes regarding the seemingly ba...

Wrong Medication?

I am on day 3 of Lexapro and experienced 2 panic attacks, nausea, heart palpitations and feeling very strange. Do I ...

Unanswered chest pains

Hello I am a 23 year old male and I have been experiencing abdominal pain every morning , everytime my stomach is em...

Is Depression a side effect of Pramiracetam?

Hello. I have been using pramiracetam aka "pramistar" for four months now. but now feels like something went wrong. ...

What are the Side Effects of Nexito Forte?

Sir ,i have been taking nexito forte for depression. my question is that what are the side effects of it?

Post Your Thoughts