Question :

Blood in Vomit and in Saliva

I just threw up and a bit of blood came up towards the end. I feel perfectly fine now--no pains and the nausea's gone--but every time I clear my throat a little bit of blood mixes in with the saliva. What could this be and what would you recommend I do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
When blood shows up in saliva, the source of the blood can be from many origins. It can commonly come from an infection of the throat or the upper respiratory tract (which includes the trachea and the bronchi). It may also caused by smoking, bleeding from teeth or gums (which is commonly due to vitamin C deficiency), or from deeper parts of the nose caused by dryness, picking or high blood pressure. The bleeding can also be caused by stomach ulcers or mouth ulcers.
Your symptoms do not point to an infection or ulcers. I suppose a dry nose, which is common in winter due to home heaters, may be causing the bleeding. Use of saline drops/sprays or other types of nasal lubricants which are available over the counter can help prevent dryness.
For nasal bleeds, I would also suggest that you sit down and lean forward with the head slightly tilted forward and pinch the soft parts of your nose together between your thumb and index finger. Hold the nose for at least five minutes. Repeat a few times or until bleeding has stopped. You can also apply ice to the nose and the cheeks. Usually mild nasal bleeding stops with the above techniques, but if you start to have more bleeding frequently which does not stop, the cause may be something serious and you should visit your GP or an emergency department for immediate treatment.
You may also want to supplement your diet with foods rich in vitamin C to control the bleeding if it is from the gums. You should also consult your dentist if you are experiencing any toothaches, bad breath or other dental problems.

Questions related to Ulcers

Frequent Mouth Ulcer

Sir, What is the reason for mouth ulcer and please advise the treatment. Regards,

Do I have an Ulcer or Acid Reflux?

Hello, the last few weeks I've been experiencing a hollow gnawing empty feeling in my stomach and I've been constantl...

Peptic ulceration

i was prescribed mefenamic tablets for period pains,i have been taking omeprazole for years{prescribed from the same ...

Red stream vomit

I think i may have blood in my stomach. I was drinking an afternoon and after 2 1/2 beers i felt bloated and sill. ...

Mouth ulcers for myself and daughter.

hello doctor I was suffering from mouth ulcers and I have a daughter who suffers the same problem. It’s a gen...

Stomach problems after eating

I've always suffered with eating, feeling strange once eating and my body reacting unwell. Recently it's got worse, d...

Throat Ulcer Help

I currently have a throat ulcer and as prescribed I'm taking "Magic Mouthwash" or "BMX Rinse." I ...

Pain in the Liver Area

I have had IBS for 3 months, a peptic ulcer for nearly 2 months and have had pain in the area of my liver for 3 week...

Pain in left side of abdomen due to Ulcer?

Hi doctor i am feeling wound like pain blow my left rib area from a month sometime also a mild pain on left rib area...

Bleeding in stool and vomiting blood

My boyfriend is bleeding very bad in his stool and vomiting blood. What could case it?

What do my symptoms lead to?

I have a fever, real bad dirreha, upset stomach, and I cant keep any food down. I ate some spicy tacos about a week ...

Diet Plan for Ulcers

Hello, Whats the diet plan for people with stomach ulcers? Things to eat and not to eat. Thanks

Which is the best investigation for detecting g...

I am having trouble with pain under my right rig cage,ihave had a ultra sound to see if it was my gall bladder and g...

Stomach pain after eating a spicy meal

I got severe stomach pain after eating and also i can't able to eat chilly mixed items cause my tungs are gives me...

Stomach pain, could it be due to peptic ulcer?

I read all these questions on ulcer and the Peptic Ulcer one sounds like what I am feeling. Bad bloating after eati...

Throat and mouth ulcers after Loose motions and...

My sister had fever with shivering ,loose motions and vomiting after which she was admitted and was on drip .now she...

Recurrent H-pylori Infection, what could be the...

Dear ask dr. i have two FAILED treatments for hpylori Whats next and why won't the antibiotice cure problem. charlene

What can i do to reduce the pain i have because...

I have a stomach ulcer and it is causing me severe discomfort which is increasing recently. i also have musculaskele...

What can I do about a ulcer?

What the treatment for ulcer?

Safety of Antiplatelets agents for PVD in Stoma...

My father is 71 and has been a diabetic for nearly 30 years which is reasonably well controlled on tablets. He also ...

Venous ulcer will not heal

I have had an ulcer on the inside of my ankle for over 3 years now and is extremely painful. I have been under the h...

Is it Safe to Take Gastro Resistant Aspirin if ...

Can i take gastro resistant aspirin even though i had a stomach ulcer caused by helicobactor pylori over ten years a...

Is This Stomach Ulcer?

Last week when i woke up my stomach wasnt feeling so well and later that night i got the chills, starting twitching,...

Symptoms suggestive of Peptic Ulcer

I have been experiencing bad bloating after eating as well as stomach pain under my ribs. I am very uncomfortable an...

Triple therapy treatment for peptic ulceration

I have just been diagnosed with a large peptic ulcer which has been bleeding. Ihave been prescribed 2 anti-biotics a...

Post Your Thoughts