Question :

Collapsed Veins and how they can be recovered

I have a collapsed vein from donating blood,I donated for about two weeks, about a year ago and I was wondering if there's some kind of surgery I can procede to fix that non-visible vein? I was also wondering if having a collapsed vein means that I'm more likely to have blood clots? Thank You for taking your time out to answer me.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Collapsed veins occur due to repeated injury to the vein with suction and withdrawal of the blood. It does not cause any harm, except that it may produce pain or discomfort if its large and inflamed. With repeated injury to the vein, clots form on the inside of the vein, making it narrower. Eventually the vein blocks, and the clots turn into a scar tissue which shrinks and pulls the sides of the vein together, causing it to collapse. Your body would recognise the collapse diverting the blood flow through deeper veins. There are options for the surgical correction of collapsed veins, through stenting, removal of the scarred tissue etc.

Questions related to Varicose Veins

It feels like my vein in my left arm is hurting

I'm 17 and in my left fore arm i have a pain. It feels like the vein right below my elbow hurts. It started around 5 ...

Blood clot?? Hard veins??

on my inner thighs i have all these lumps and they kinda feel like all the veins in that area are hardened, and its r...

Bumps on left testicle

I am 13 and found some lumps above my left testicle and wanna know why and how did it get there

Do Varicose Veins affect sexual performance?

does the varicose veins effect the sexual performance

Lymphedema vs. Filarisis

Hi, What are the chances that filariasis can be confused for lymphedema?

May I do heavy lifting having Varicocele?

Is it okay to do football workouts (heavy lifting) if i have varicocele? (in my scrotum)

Growth problems and varicocele repair surgery?

Hi, I have received a left varicocele open surgery in july 2010, and since then, i realize my upper body grew quite ...

Possible vascular cause of leg pain

Hello, My age is 26.I have problem in Leg. Actually problem started from weeks. The Leg pain is not high level minor...

Sudden calf pain in an overweight young woman

Hi I'm a 23yr 5'4 220lbs Black Female.....One morning I woke up with a serve aching pain on my calf and when I looke...

Varcose vein on my leg

I hve a vein on my leg i want too go too the hospital too get it drain sometimes it grows as big as a small orange i...

New veins after varicose vein surgery.

Three weeks ago I had leg varicose vein surgery and have had some veins come back already. Is this normal?

Post varicocele surgery symptoms

Hi, I would like to ask questions regarding varicocele surgery. I went through surgery on 5th july for my left v...

Martial Arts and Varicose veins in the legs

I have superficial as well as deep vericose veins in both legs. I just enrolled in a Tae Kwon Do class and am wonder...

Lymphatic fluid gushing from wound after varico...

Why is my leg oozing lymphatic fluid a week after having varicose veins removed? I had surgery exactly one week ago....

Nose surgery but have varicose veins

Hi Im having a operation on my broken nose which is going to put me under, iv told them iv got varicose veins in my ...

On the back of my leg it feels like my vein is ...

It is the vein that is behind my knee...I don't know why but i do have a few theories... I have been exercising the...

Compression stockings for daily use

How long should you wear compression stockingd daily

Veins visible on penis

Hello, I am a 13 Year old boy and I have a question. I have had visible veins on my penis (no specific spot)(all ove...

DVT Vs PAD

My farther's dopler test report is that: Echogenic thombus is seen in SFA. is there any problem of DVT?

Chronic Venous Reflux-Compression Stockings

I have been diagnosed with chronic venous reflux and have been scheduled for a radiofrequency occlusion procedure. M...

Venous Insufficiency

What are or any complications afterwards regarding one artey in my right leg, when two others are removed because of...

Varicose vein stripping.

Do i have the right to not have anesthesia but have an epidural for varicose vein stripping surgery. I have a big fe...

Treatment options for varicose veins

My doctor said there is nothing I can do about the varicose veins. Also my high blood occurred at the same time I wa...

Bulging Varicose Veins in the Neck and Running ...

I have a bulging varicose vein condition in my neck throat area since the age of 5. It hasn't caused any serious pro...

Swelling and pain in ankles and lower legs

Hello I am 59years old and have had a swelling in my right ankle now for the past about 6 years. It get worse when I...

Post Your Thoughts