Question :

Concussion: how long should you stay up for?

If you think you might have a concussion how long should you stay up for?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 A concussion is a brain injury that produces headache, altered levels of alertness and unconsciousness. Most of the time is the result of an important and significant blow to the head that shakes the brain inside the skull, which temporarily prevents the brain from working normally. It depends on the severity of the trauma, some people feel normal again in a few hours after a concussion while others have symptoms and sequels for weeks or months, again, it depends on each case in particular .Sometimes a person who has a more serious concussion, may develop new symptoms over time and feels worse than before the injury, this is “Post Concussive Syndrome”. It is important that over the time you start to show Post Concussive Symptoms, you call your doctor and get a thoroughly neurological evaluation. The post concussive symptoms include: difficulty to think, concentrate or remember; headaches or blurry vision; becoming angry or anxious for no reason; lack of interest in your usual activities, changes in your sex drive, dizziness, lightheadedness or unsteadiness that makes difficult for you to walk or standing.

Questions related to Concussions

Fractured Skull effects later in life

My daughter fell 14 feet onto concrete when she was three years old. Fortunately she only suffered a closed fractured...

Could I have a concussion?

I fell and hit my head earlier today. I blacked out. I have vomited 3 times so far. Should I be worried? What should ...

head drama

A few days ago I was fighting with my older cousin and he hit me on the left side of my head close to my temple ...no...

I was hit in the head with a large ball, do I h...

I was in the pool yesterday, and a hard ball about the size of a cantaloupe hit me in the face. Nothing happened unti...

Post-Concussion Vomiting: Is it typical?

Hello, I was diagnosed with a concussion 2 days ago, after falling backwards during a performance, and then 24 h...

Head pain

I got a concussion in January and was on bed rest for a month and a half. Its now July and ever since I still experie...

Concussion(s)?

I have been receiving heavy blows to the head and face by open hands, closed fists, or small metal and hard plastic o...

Post-concussion syndrome as i have frequent hea...

I have frequent headaches and memory loss and have had three concussions is that psc (post-concussion syndrome)?

Possible Post Concussion Symptoms

Hi there, So on June 8th, I was thrown from my horse into the steel rails of the arena. My head hit the top rail, an...

Possible Neuralgia post head trauma

Hi, I am 14, and about a year and a half ago i cracked the back of my skull and it was about an inch, maybe inch and...

Possible Consequences of a concussion

Can the area of a past concusion reswell when one is under a lot of stress?

I don't remember hitting my head.

On Thursday, March 1, 2012, I apparently hit my head really hard on a dryer door; but I don't remember. My brother t...

Dizzy months after being knockout nine months ago

I was knocked out about 9 months ago or so. For a couple months I got dizzy when turing my head a certain way or sta...

Numbness tingling week after concussion

I hit my head a week ago on the pavement. Went to the ER immediately after the injury. They did not perform any scan...

My girlfriend fainted and hit her head

My girlfriend fainted last night. She ended up hitting her head on the concrete and giving herself a little gash. ...

Post concussion dizziness - What is the cause?

I got my concussion two months ago and now when I do any up and down movements (squats, pushups, jumping etc.) I get...

Do I have a Concussion?

I was out Saturday night I banged my head on a tile dance floor. I didn't remeber how it happened but I was told som...

Post concussion delayed symptoms

Could you please tell me if its possible that the symptoms of post concussion syndrome could emerge after two to thr...

Concussions: overview and what to do

When should an ambulance be called for a concussion?

Smacked my head hard, should I get it checked out?

I was at a party the other day, and I tripped over something. I fell and hit the back of my head on a small mound of...

Fell off my bike and hit hard on the side of my...

Hi, I fell off my bike and hit my head quite hard at the back right of my head on the sidewalk without helmet. I wa...

Concussion due to a fall four weeks ago.

My daughter had a fall about a month ago in which she hit the right side of her head on a hardwood floor. She awoke ...

Severe Headaches After a Fall

My daughter susteined a fall during which she struck her head on a stage floor. She awoke complaining of severe head...

Post concussion symptoms from soccer

I suffered a concussion from soccer in October and had PCS symptoms till around Christmas. January I felt much bette...

Post Concussion Headache and Treatment

I had a concussion from a fall on the 23rd of Jan. and was taken to the hospital immediatly. Since then I have been ...

Fighter Concussion and fractured jaw

I had a fighter (21 year old male) that had his jaw broken in sept of 2010. He was never never completely unconsious...

Hit my head and I am feeling signs of concussion.

Hi there. About 2 hours ago, I was outside at work, and I slipped on the ice and fell hard; hitting my head on the c...

Post concussion syndrome due to playing hockey

One of my good friends, Eric Lindros, played hockey for many years in the National Hockey League. I grew up with him...

Head Trauma and alcohol intake

I recieved a severe concussion about a week and a half ago. is it ok for me to drink alcohol now?

Brain Concussion and Second Impact Syndrome (SIS)

Is it possible for a person who had a concussion to begin with who got a second hit during a football game to ever r...

Symptoms of concussion - vomiting

My daughter fell yesterday about 10 feet and landed on her head and shoulder on the concrete. We went to the hospita...

Fluid filled bump on left side of forehead

Doctor I was hit on the head and now I have a bump which seems to have fluid in it. I've healed everywhere else exce...

Vomiting after a head injury

My daughter got hit in the face with a baseball and she has threw up about 4 times. do they do anything for a concus...

Persistent Post concussion syndrome

Hi, about two months ago, my boyfriend was assaulted when leaving a pub and suffered a concussion. The week that fol...

Twitches/ Fasciculations

Hi there. I was working in a theatre on stage in March 2005 and one of the railings (450kg) in the roof came loose a...

Head Injury and Vomiting

My daughter is 8 yrs. old and when she was coming out of school someone pushed her down the stairs and she hit her h...

Healing Time for a Concussion

I fainted a week ago Sunday, hitting my head on a scale. I didn't start getting bad headaches for another five days...

Post Your Thoughts