Question :

Rib Pain after Hitting Golf balls

I was hitting 500 golf balls at a time and my ribs started to hurt. I continued to practice and now I think I ripped a muscle. I had an x ray and it showed that my ribs were okay. It has been 5 weeks and the pain is still the same. I have had ultra sound and laser therapy and I am getting discouraged. How long will this take to heal and is there anything else I can do help the process?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
According to your description of the events and the characteristics of the pain, most likely you may have an Intercostal Neuritis, which is not a serious condition but very annoying indeed and slow healing. By a spasm or a direct trauma the intercostals nerve got injured, and that’s why you are feeling that stabbing pain every time you take a deep breath, sneeze or cough.
The suggested strategy would be: please, try to be patient and do not expect an overnight improvement, take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”), and also Vitamin B12 supplement. Local moist heat helps to ease the pain. Try to avoid activities that worsen the pain.

Questions related to Chest Pain

I feel a sharp pain in the center of my chest a...

I'm 15 years old and I grew up in Mexico where it's common for one to eat spicy food or acidic snacks and when I eat ...

Pain in penis and chest pain

Why do i have chest pain and penis pain chest is sour

Lower chest pain (Where the ribs start, is it C...

Hi 4-5 days ago I started to have pain in my lower chest from where the ribs start and I did alittle research and I t...

Upper right-sided chest pain with no apparent c...

I'm a 31 y/o woman. For the last couple of months I have had intermittent but not serious pain on my right side (high...

Lower Chest pain (Beginning of Ribs)

Hi, just this morning before working out and after playing basketball, I started feeling pain right under my chest fr...

Lower Chest Pain (Beginning of rib cage)

Alternatives to Brilinta

I've been on Brilinta for just over 6 months for 2 drug eluding stents I had put in as a result of my heart attack in...

Chest pain and migraines

I am a 25 year old female. I am tired during the day, but do not sleep well at night. About 2 weeks ago I had a sharp...

I really need answers

Hi i am a 28 year old female who has svt and ingenia i keep having chest pain that goes into my back between my shoil...

Chest pain after being hit

Dear Doctor: Good day to you. While returning home after my night shift last Thursday, I became a victim of attemp...

I'm having chest pains and short breath sharp p...

Hello my name is ashley i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my chest tightened up usually last about 2-5...

Left Chest Pain During/After Eating

Hello, I've been having reoccurring pain in my chest, left arm, and sometimes my left leg. It always occurs during a...

EKG changes post stress test

I was recently hospitalised for post stress test changes on my ekg . It showed prolonged depressed st segment changes...

I have pain in the right side of the chest

I have pain inthe right side of the chest which increases on slight compression or when i try to lie down or wen i tr...

Im scared that this is something really bad. Pl...

If I wear myself out or stay up to long without sleep I will feel like my heart is very tight, my chest has pressure ...

Pleuresy--How do I determine if this is cause ...

what are symptoms of chest pain from Pleuresy?

Should I got to hospital

Hello I have had a cough for last 4 days I am not coughing anything up and I chest is hurting and feels really tight,...

Detached rib

I think that my 10th rib is detached from the cartilage. I can feel the detached end of the rib. I feel pressure when...

Lot of meds

Hello. I'm wanting some help. My wife 40 years old. Is on a lot of different meds ,alirgent to a lot of meds an stuf...

Alcohol poisoning, chest pain next day

My girlfriend had just been alcohol poisoned. Her frends were stupid enough to thing everything would be okay. She wa...

Sharp Pain Under left side of ribcage.

Hey I am 19 years of age and consider myself to be a light smoker

Breathing Problem

My grandmother is around 54 years old and She is having problem in breathing. Echo-cardiography was done and doctors ...

Having sharp chest pains

"I've been haveing sharp chest pains on my left side. A month ago I was taken to hospital with an irregular hear...

smoked for nine years and recently quit

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, I smoked for nine years but recently quit, I have started having sharp almost stabbing p...

Chest coldness

Im getting pain in my chest and feeling like very very cold for about 10 seconds every time I get offended or getting...

Post Your Thoughts