Question :

Musculo-skeletal Chest Pain Following Exercise

I am a 17 year old male with no previous heart problems. I avidly ride bikes and run. I believe I have exceptional Cardio. Recently, as in the past few months, I have notice a sharp pain in my chest, that only last a split second, after I suddenly burst out laughing due to something humorous. I have been smoking weed occasionally for the past year, if that has any effect. Should I be concerned with any heart problems?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The pain you describe is not typical of pain arising from the heart. There are many causes of chest pain, including pain arising from the heart, lungs, upper gastrointestinal system and chest wall. In your case it may be musculo-skeletal pain related to exercise or a recent cardio-workout. It may be helpful to note in a diary how often the pain is occurring, at what time of  the day, what you are doing when the pain starts, how long it lasts for and what relieves the pain. If pain is lasting greater than 30 minutes and is associated with shortness of breath, sweating, nausea or vomiting, it warrants a visit to the Emergency Department

Questions related to Chest Pain

Upper right-sided chest pain with no apparent c...

I'm a 31 y/o woman. For the last couple of months I have had intermittent but not serious pain on my right side (high...

Lower Chest pain (Beginning of Ribs)

Hi, just this morning before working out and after playing basketball, I started feeling pain right under my chest fr...

Lower Chest Pain (Beginning of rib cage)

Alternatives to Brilinta

I've been on Brilinta for just over 6 months for 2 drug eluding stents I had put in as a result of my heart attack in...

Chest pain and migraines

I am a 25 year old female. I am tired during the day, but do not sleep well at night. About 2 weeks ago I had a sharp...

I really need answers

Hi i am a 28 year old female who has svt and ingenia i keep having chest pain that goes into my back between my shoil...

Chest pain after being hit

Dear Doctor: Good day to you. While returning home after my night shift last Thursday, I became a victim of attemp...

I'm having chest pains and short breath sharp p...

Hello my name is ashley i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my chest tightened up usually last about 2-5...

Left Chest Pain During/After Eating

Hello, I've been having reoccurring pain in my chest, left arm, and sometimes my left leg. It always occurs during a...

EKG changes post stress test

I was recently hospitalised for post stress test changes on my ekg . It showed prolonged depressed st segment changes...

I have pain in the right side of the chest

I have pain inthe right side of the chest which increases on slight compression or when i try to lie down or wen i tr...

Im scared that this is something really bad. Pl...

If I wear myself out or stay up to long without sleep I will feel like my heart is very tight, my chest has pressure ...

Pleuresy--How do I determine if this is cause ...

what are symptoms of chest pain from Pleuresy?

Should I got to hospital

Hello I have had a cough for last 4 days I am not coughing anything up and I chest is hurting and feels really tight,...

Detached rib

I think that my 10th rib is detached from the cartilage. I can feel the detached end of the rib. I feel pressure when...

Lot of meds

Hello. I'm wanting some help. My wife 40 years old. Is on a lot of different meds ,alirgent to a lot of meds an stuf...

Alcohol poisoning, chest pain next day

My girlfriend had just been alcohol poisoned. Her frends were stupid enough to thing everything would be okay. She wa...

Sharp Pain Under left side of ribcage.

Hey I am 19 years of age and consider myself to be a light smoker

Breathing Problem

My grandmother is around 54 years old and She is having problem in breathing. Echo-cardiography was done and doctors ...

Having sharp chest pains

"I've been haveing sharp chest pains on my left side. A month ago I was taken to hospital with an irregular hear...

smoked for nine years and recently quit

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, I smoked for nine years but recently quit, I have started having sharp almost stabbing p...

Chest coldness

Im getting pain in my chest and feeling like very very cold for about 10 seconds every time I get offended or getting...

Swollen glands in neck

I have swollen glands in my neck and I have been to the doctor for it several times. I have been on antibiotics for i...

Chest pain with dizziness and uneven pupils

I have had this pain/discomfort in the middle of my chest for over a year now. (Along with dizziness, fatigue, ears r...

urgent help required for chest pain

Hi Doctor I am 27 year old I have pain in my center chest as I wake up in the morning and pain remains for some tim...

Chest pain

Hello, my is Christopher Gonzalez, and I've used cocaine for two years, off and on. About a year ago, I was using coc...

severe undiagnosed chest/lung pain

I have been unwell in lungs with infections for 5 months straight, i then had a virus where i coughed constantly, ver...

heart pain

some time i feel intense pain in my heart after eating something gluten . only with belching or burping the heart pai...

Is this normal if you have Mitral Valve Prolapse?

I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse as a child, and, for some time now, I've been having mild-to-moderate ches...

Pain in the Chest..

Hey! So, I have been recently having quite a few pains in the heart area of my chest, and I am confused as to what...

Sharp pain under my breast

I have really random sharp pains in my chest under my left breast. The pain really increases when I breathe deeply. ...

CHEST PROBLEM/

my father age 65 years weight 90 kg had come to know in april 2014 pleural effusion ptca done 1 year ago stent done h...

Chest pain/tightness? Previous WPW patient

Hi there!!! Here's a bit of background info: I'm a 19 year old female who has had surgery at age 13 for wolf parkinso...

Chest Pain on left side

Hi I've been getting these chest pains on the left side of my chest for about 3 days now. It feels like someone is hi...

Having chest pain and dizziness

Having chest pain and dizziness also had ekg that was abnormal had echo done which was normal feel extreme heaviness ...

Help

My name is Hannah and lately whenever I breathe I get the really sharp pain on my left side under my breast. It lasts...

Rib spasms- broken cartilage?!

Whenever I sneeze/cough/laugh it seems like something beneath my lower left ribcage bends or spasms. Also when I lay ...

HEART PROBS

i am having heart palpitations and my chest hurts a bit in the center and i keep getting warm then cool and stuff and...

Extra rib pain

Hello, in the topics they did not have anything like this so I'm just hoping you will know. My girlfriend has an extr...

chest. pain

When i take. Deep breath i have sharp. Main in my lower sholder chest area

Took a hit to the chest, above the heart/ left ...

Hello, I got hit pretty hard just above the heart/ left breast 7 days ago, felt like the hit went deep, almost as ...

Chest pain & shortness of breath

I've been having chest pains on both the right and left side of my chest. Could it be serious?

Cardiologist please

Hi, I've been having chest pain for a very long time, I've tried about everything my current doctor can think of and ...

chest problem

I am having chest pain from about 2 months i have cleared heart tests i.e ecg chest x ray also but still i am having ...

Chest pain

I get a sharp stabbbing pain in the left side of my chest it only last for a few seconds leaning forward and taking l...

chest pain while raising arm

while i raised my arm experienced pain and weakness in left arm. pain lasted only for 2-3 minutes but still feeling l...

Chest pains

For about a month I have had chest pains. I don't smoke or drink; I eat well, no meats only seafood. I am in good phy...

Chest Pain...is it Serious?

A few days ago I began receiving Chest pain. I figured it would only last for the duration of that day but the pain h...

Bad symptoms after tooth extraction

I have been having a burning pain in my chest, along with headaches, and nausea for several weeks, after a tooth extr...

I had an abnormal EKG

Hi I recently had an ekg done it came back abnormal, had an echo done came back normal I have been experiencing light...

Post Your Thoughts