Question :

Twenty one year old, chest pain and shortness of breath for two months

I am a 21 year old female. I am over weight but I have lost 31 pounds since March and I'm continuing to lose weight. For two months now I've been experiencing shortness of breath that is often accompanied by chest pain above my left breast near the collar bone, below my left breast, and on both the left and right sides of my sternum near the center of my breast. My family thought I was having a heart attack in July so they called an ambulance. My heart was fine according to the test and my oxygen was at 100% so they diagnosed me with anxiety and sent me home. Two days later I was again feeling like I could not breath and feeling very weak. I began to panick because of this. I was taken to the ER and given anxiety meds. I told them I was still having a difficult time getting a deap, satifying breath but they insisted it was anxiety. Since then I've had one episode of very high blood pressure where I was sent to the ER where they preformed all of the heart tests, chest X-rays and labs they usually do on a chest pain patient. Everything came back fine. Then I went to my family doctor and while I was there I mentioned that I had been having a little sholder pain. He immediately decided that everything going on was related to that and sent me home with two different kind of pain pills. These have not relieved any of the chest pain and breathing symtoms. I am constantly dizzy, feel weak all the time, and have trouble just standing to take a shower. I always feel like I'm going to pass out and the pain in my chest is daily. Anxiety meds are of no help to me and I do not feel like it's anxiety. I get anxious over the symtoms I'm having...anxiety does not make the symtoms happen. I monitor my blood pressure and blood sugar at home. Both have been fine for the most part. Occationally my blood pressure will be slightly elevated but usually it's normal. The last two days it's actually been a little low. Blood sugar has been perfect. I have had issues with being hypoglycemic in the past so that's why I monitor my sugar levels. I can't make dinner without feeling like I'm going to pass out, I can't get the laundry from the dryer without my heart pounding like it's going to bust out of my chest, I can't play with my kids for very long because I immediately feel like I have to lay down and going to the grocery store for an hour is a small miracle for me. I am a homemaker and a full time student. Feeling like this constantly is simply unexceptable. I have seen 5 different doctors in the past 2 months. They keep blowing me off and sending me with anxiety meds or pain pills. I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow. I am hoping and praying this one will give me the time of day I need. Can ANYONE give me ANY insight as to what might be going on? Please, I'm desperate. I just want to feel like a normal 21 year old woman again. I want to be able to get on my tredmil without worrying that I'm going to have a heart attack or something. I want to be me again. Thank you in advance.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand your concern about your symptoms. Surely the pain that you feel in your chest might need to be studied with more detail. In my opinion I would suggest you to consult a doctor specialized in Internal Medicine to try to group all your symptoms that might be produced by one condition.
Due to your symptoms of fatigue, weakness, fatigue, changes in your blood pressure and glucose levels an evaluation of your endocrine system to look for an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) that may cause low blood pressure. In addition, other conditions, such as adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease), low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can trigger low blood pressure. Careful study in changes of blood pressure form lying down and standing would help ruling out these causes. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Chest Pain

Upper right-sided chest pain with no apparent c...

I'm a 31 y/o woman. For the last couple of months I have had intermittent but not serious pain on my right side (high...

Lower Chest pain (Beginning of Ribs)

Hi, just this morning before working out and after playing basketball, I started feeling pain right under my chest fr...

Lower Chest Pain (Beginning of rib cage)

Alternatives to Brilinta

I've been on Brilinta for just over 6 months for 2 drug eluding stents I had put in as a result of my heart attack in...

Chest pain and migraines

I am a 25 year old female. I am tired during the day, but do not sleep well at night. About 2 weeks ago I had a sharp...

I really need answers

Hi i am a 28 year old female who has svt and ingenia i keep having chest pain that goes into my back between my shoil...

Chest pain after being hit

Dear Doctor: Good day to you. While returning home after my night shift last Thursday, I became a victim of attemp...

I'm having chest pains and short breath sharp p...

Hello my name is ashley i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my chest tightened up usually last about 2-5...

Left Chest Pain During/After Eating

Hello, I've been having reoccurring pain in my chest, left arm, and sometimes my left leg. It always occurs during a...

EKG changes post stress test

I was recently hospitalised for post stress test changes on my ekg . It showed prolonged depressed st segment changes...

I have pain in the right side of the chest

I have pain inthe right side of the chest which increases on slight compression or when i try to lie down or wen i tr...

Im scared that this is something really bad. Pl...

If I wear myself out or stay up to long without sleep I will feel like my heart is very tight, my chest has pressure ...

Pleuresy--How do I determine if this is cause ...

what are symptoms of chest pain from Pleuresy?

Should I got to hospital

Hello I have had a cough for last 4 days I am not coughing anything up and I chest is hurting and feels really tight,...

Detached rib

I think that my 10th rib is detached from the cartilage. I can feel the detached end of the rib. I feel pressure when...

Lot of meds

Hello. I'm wanting some help. My wife 40 years old. Is on a lot of different meds ,alirgent to a lot of meds an stuf...

Alcohol poisoning, chest pain next day

My girlfriend had just been alcohol poisoned. Her frends were stupid enough to thing everything would be okay. She wa...

Sharp Pain Under left side of ribcage.

Hey I am 19 years of age and consider myself to be a light smoker

Breathing Problem

My grandmother is around 54 years old and She is having problem in breathing. Echo-cardiography was done and doctors ...

Having sharp chest pains

"I've been haveing sharp chest pains on my left side. A month ago I was taken to hospital with an irregular hear...

smoked for nine years and recently quit

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, I smoked for nine years but recently quit, I have started having sharp almost stabbing p...

Chest coldness

Im getting pain in my chest and feeling like very very cold for about 10 seconds every time I get offended or getting...

Swollen glands in neck

I have swollen glands in my neck and I have been to the doctor for it several times. I have been on antibiotics for i...

Chest pain with dizziness and uneven pupils

I have had this pain/discomfort in the middle of my chest for over a year now. (Along with dizziness, fatigue, ears r...

urgent help required for chest pain

Hi Doctor I am 27 year old I have pain in my center chest as I wake up in the morning and pain remains for some tim...

Chest pain

Hello, my is Christopher Gonzalez, and I've used cocaine for two years, off and on. About a year ago, I was using coc...

severe undiagnosed chest/lung pain

I have been unwell in lungs with infections for 5 months straight, i then had a virus where i coughed constantly, ver...

heart pain

some time i feel intense pain in my heart after eating something gluten . only with belching or burping the heart pai...

Is this normal if you have Mitral Valve Prolapse?

I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse as a child, and, for some time now, I've been having mild-to-moderate ches...

Pain in the Chest..

Hey! So, I have been recently having quite a few pains in the heart area of my chest, and I am confused as to what...

Sharp pain under my breast

I have really random sharp pains in my chest under my left breast. The pain really increases when I breathe deeply. ...

CHEST PROBLEM/

my father age 65 years weight 90 kg had come to know in april 2014 pleural effusion ptca done 1 year ago stent done h...

Chest pain/tightness? Previous WPW patient

Hi there!!! Here's a bit of background info: I'm a 19 year old female who has had surgery at age 13 for wolf parkinso...

Chest Pain on left side

Hi I've been getting these chest pains on the left side of my chest for about 3 days now. It feels like someone is hi...

Having chest pain and dizziness

Having chest pain and dizziness also had ekg that was abnormal had echo done which was normal feel extreme heaviness ...

Help

My name is Hannah and lately whenever I breathe I get the really sharp pain on my left side under my breast. It lasts...

Rib spasms- broken cartilage?!

Whenever I sneeze/cough/laugh it seems like something beneath my lower left ribcage bends or spasms. Also when I lay ...

HEART PROBS

i am having heart palpitations and my chest hurts a bit in the center and i keep getting warm then cool and stuff and...

Extra rib pain

Hello, in the topics they did not have anything like this so I'm just hoping you will know. My girlfriend has an extr...

chest. pain

When i take. Deep breath i have sharp. Main in my lower sholder chest area

Took a hit to the chest, above the heart/ left ...

Hello, I got hit pretty hard just above the heart/ left breast 7 days ago, felt like the hit went deep, almost as ...

Chest pain & shortness of breath

I've been having chest pains on both the right and left side of my chest. Could it be serious?

Cardiologist please

Hi, I've been having chest pain for a very long time, I've tried about everything my current doctor can think of and ...

chest problem

I am having chest pain from about 2 months i have cleared heart tests i.e ecg chest x ray also but still i am having ...

Chest pain

I get a sharp stabbbing pain in the left side of my chest it only last for a few seconds leaning forward and taking l...

chest pain while raising arm

while i raised my arm experienced pain and weakness in left arm. pain lasted only for 2-3 minutes but still feeling l...

Chest pains

For about a month I have had chest pains. I don't smoke or drink; I eat well, no meats only seafood. I am in good phy...

Chest Pain...is it Serious?

A few days ago I began receiving Chest pain. I figured it would only last for the duration of that day but the pain h...

Bad symptoms after tooth extraction

I have been having a burning pain in my chest, along with headaches, and nausea for several weeks, after a tooth extr...

I had an abnormal EKG

Hi I recently had an ekg done it came back abnormal, had an echo done came back normal I have been experiencing light...

Post Your Thoughts