Question :

Pain in the left side of chest

Good day, I have for year now been strugling with pains in my chest which is related to GAS (I assume) I can feel it ease up sometime when I pass gas or when I move and kind of force the gas to release. I also get the tingling sensation in my arm and fingers on the left hand side. Although I have had this for about 2 - 3 years I still have a fright sometimes as it is so bad and really feels like I am having a heart attack. This morning I woke up from pain, i could not lie on my side as the pain was to severe. If i breathed out it would hurt the most, also when I would turn my body or lift my arm it would feel like I was getting a spasm. It is now a few hours since I have woken up and i still have the pain, not as bad when I sit but worse when I stand up. First time that I am feeling it like this, I fell like I wanna burp but like its blocked and nothing is happening. Please advise if you have any suggestions what this might be. I am 29 and live a very healthy lifestyle.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It could be gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), which is capable of producing the symptoms similar to an heart attack, including severe spasms and radiation to the left hand. Another reason could be a sliding hiatal hernia, that usually does not produce symptoms except heart burn, but in case it gets obstructed etc. You may want to consult a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis with your symptoms and relevant investigations and treatment. You may try taking antacids like zantac, prilosec, gaviscon, gas-x, peptobismol etc. for relief.

Questions related to Chest Pain

I feel a sharp pain in the center of my chest a...

I'm 15 years old and I grew up in Mexico where it's common for one to eat spicy food or acidic snacks and when I eat ...

Pain in penis and chest pain

Why do i have chest pain and penis pain chest is sour

Lower chest pain (Where the ribs start, is it C...

Hi 4-5 days ago I started to have pain in my lower chest from where the ribs start and I did alittle research and I t...

Upper right-sided chest pain with no apparent c...

I'm a 31 y/o woman. For the last couple of months I have had intermittent but not serious pain on my right side (high...

Lower Chest pain (Beginning of Ribs)

Hi, just this morning before working out and after playing basketball, I started feeling pain right under my chest fr...

Lower Chest Pain (Beginning of rib cage)

Alternatives to Brilinta

I've been on Brilinta for just over 6 months for 2 drug eluding stents I had put in as a result of my heart attack in...

Chest pain and migraines

I am a 25 year old female. I am tired during the day, but do not sleep well at night. About 2 weeks ago I had a sharp...

I really need answers

Hi i am a 28 year old female who has svt and ingenia i keep having chest pain that goes into my back between my shoil...

Chest pain after being hit

Dear Doctor: Good day to you. While returning home after my night shift last Thursday, I became a victim of attemp...

I'm having chest pains and short breath sharp p...

Hello my name is ashley i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my chest tightened up usually last about 2-5...

Left Chest Pain During/After Eating

Hello, I've been having reoccurring pain in my chest, left arm, and sometimes my left leg. It always occurs during a...

EKG changes post stress test

I was recently hospitalised for post stress test changes on my ekg . It showed prolonged depressed st segment changes...

I have pain in the right side of the chest

I have pain inthe right side of the chest which increases on slight compression or when i try to lie down or wen i tr...

Im scared that this is something really bad. Pl...

If I wear myself out or stay up to long without sleep I will feel like my heart is very tight, my chest has pressure ...

Pleuresy--How do I determine if this is cause ...

what are symptoms of chest pain from Pleuresy?

Should I got to hospital

Hello I have had a cough for last 4 days I am not coughing anything up and I chest is hurting and feels really tight,...

Detached rib

I think that my 10th rib is detached from the cartilage. I can feel the detached end of the rib. I feel pressure when...

Lot of meds

Hello. I'm wanting some help. My wife 40 years old. Is on a lot of different meds ,alirgent to a lot of meds an stuf...

Alcohol poisoning, chest pain next day

My girlfriend had just been alcohol poisoned. Her frends were stupid enough to thing everything would be okay. She wa...

Sharp Pain Under left side of ribcage.

Hey I am 19 years of age and consider myself to be a light smoker

Breathing Problem

My grandmother is around 54 years old and She is having problem in breathing. Echo-cardiography was done and doctors ...

Having sharp chest pains

"I've been haveing sharp chest pains on my left side. A month ago I was taken to hospital with an irregular hear...

smoked for nine years and recently quit

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, I smoked for nine years but recently quit, I have started having sharp almost stabbing p...

Chest coldness

Im getting pain in my chest and feeling like very very cold for about 10 seconds every time I get offended or getting...

Post Your Thoughts